Transfer Case & Differential Fluid Capacities - Page 3 - Cherokee SRT8 Forum

Auto Insurance

Go Back   Cherokee SRT8 Forum > WK1 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 Performance Discussion > WK1 General Performance Discussion

WK1 General Performance Discussion If you are planning on modifying your Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 with a performance enhancing modification, this is the section to post about it.

CherokeeSRT8.com is the premier Jeep Cherokee Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:40 AM

I did my front and rear differentials at home with 4 quarts of synthetic gear lube from Wal Mart for $10.00 per quart. I don't know the brand but it seems to be working. You will need 2 different tools to remove the drain plugs, the rear takes a square drive ratchet but the front has a drain and fill plug that take a big metric allen wrench, for which I had to buy a whole set at Sears for $40.00 just to get the one tool I needed. The fill hole is in a tight place on the front of the front differential and I had to remove the allen part of the tool from the 1/2" socket and turn it with a wrench to use it. It was a pain but I got it done for $80.00, versus almost $300.00 at the dealer!
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Elite Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Trick View Post
When changing the fluid is there any sealant needed when reinstalling the drain plugs???
Bump!

or do they self seal like the oil drain plug???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2008, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributing Member

Are you guys changing the fluid in the driveway with ramps or jack stands? I can't seem to fit under the jeep without some sort of lifting device.
B Woody intake, B&B Exhaust, 6K HID lows&Fogs, 180 Motorad, Elite Engineering Catch Can, Black side Mouldings, Blacked out tails, All Interior LEDS, MHP antenna, MHP/CMR Tune, R1 rotors/Hawk pads, Stillen headlight covers, B Woody Sway Bar endlinks, Bridgestone dueler runflats 275/315
Old 03-25-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJG3RD View Post
Are you guys changing the fluid in the driveway with ramps or jack stands? I can't seem to fit under the jeep without some sort of lifting device.
I personally use two floor jacks and jack stands.

I just put a jack n either side and take it up as evenly as possible than throw some jack stands in for safety.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJG3RD View Post
I think Inferno's local dealer sold him 2 quarts for $70.

You can get it online cheaper though. I bought 2 quarts from moparstore.com for $56.45 shipped.

If you dont mind a few days wait it is much cheaper to buy it online and do it youself.
i just checked moparstore.com and the prices on the NVG146 xfer case fluid ( item # 68001758AA ) went up. they are now charging $41.60 a quart.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:06 AM

so for the diffs and transfer case, do you have to use the Moppar stuff or can we get away with something from Autozone?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM

I just changed mine. You have to use the Mopar transfer case fluid. For the front/rear diffs, I used that Royal Purple stuff. I can honestly say changing all those fluids really quieted my Jeep down. I used to have this loud muffled noise when I punched it, coming from underneath the Jeep. Now I dont hear a thing, only the engine and exhaust. Hope this helps.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:21 PM

Well I am having a heck of a time finding the transfer case oil online does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find it?
Old 09-20-2010, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morris View Post
Well I am having a heck of a time finding the transfer case oil online does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find it?

The STEALership should be able to hook you up.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoPoSRT8 View Post
I just changed mine. You have to use the Mopar transfer case fluid. For the front/rear diffs, I used that Royal Purple stuff. I can honestly say changing all those fluids really quieted my Jeep down. I used to have this loud muffled noise when I punched it, coming from underneath the Jeep. Now I dont hear a thing, only the engine and exhaust. Hope this helps.
So the Royal Purple did not work??? The mopar fluid quieted it down?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
diff fluid capacity, fluid capacities, transfer case

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cherokee SRT8 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.