Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

2014 LockPic for GC's

20K views 72 replies 17 participants last post by  peter2772000 
#1 · (Edited)
A copy of my email to them below. I've been checking their site since May/June for availability, which is what prompted me to contact 'em LOL

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM, peter e <peter2772000@yahoo.com> wrote:
"COMING SOON!
LOCKPICK C8 V2
FOR THE 2013 RAM AND 2014 GRAND CHEROKEE"

When you say "soon" you mean what, exactly? Been waiting since June........ *wink*

On Monday, October 28, 2013 10:37:28 AM, Support <nsv contact info removed> wrote:
We do not have an in-stock date for that item at this time. I recommend keeping a sharp eye on our website for the best chance of getting it as soon as it is available.

Thanks

--​

<nsv contact info removed>

On Monday, Oct 28, 2013 at 16:50AM, peter e <peter2772000@yahoo.com> wrote:

If I kept any sharper of an eye, I'd cut myself when blinking. But I'll hang in there.....

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches,
it's more like a jar of Jalapeno peppers.
What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow!

See less See more
#2 ·
Same response I got... Killing me man!

#3 ·
LOL. Patience bro. Rome wasn't built in a day. According to historical accounts, we'll have to wait a "little bit" longer as well. :p

#5 ·
#9 ·
#10 ·
Jesus, that was fast. Unexpected surprise.

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus :blueblob::blueblob::blueblob:

#13 · (Edited)
You won't believe this; The Lockpic isn't available. Just went to the site to order it and the "buy it" buttons are dead again.

EDIT Oopsies: Just realized that the item which is available isn't the C8 (which is still not available), but a higher-end CRH558 version. Costs a bit more, but at this point, $60 extra ain't gonna break the bank.

#14 ·
My CHR558 should be here on Monday. I plan on trying the install Monday night and will do a full documentation with pictures. I hope to get the unit behind the dash somewhere. I had it stashed in the glovebox on my 2008 (so I could do software updates easier) and ran the iPod cable through the center console and into the storage cubby below the armrest. I may just target the small cubby below the radio (for the iPod connection) where all the media connections are but I don't plan on adding any extra holes in the vehicle anywhere.

I use a 3rd generation iPod Touch (32GB) as my portable media device. Plenty of music on there and several movies for the kiddos which can be played through the 8.4" screen with the CHR558.

I know CLStech is anxiously awaiting my results too. Stay tuned people!

#18 ·
Not sure but I would think so. Might be worth shooting a quick e-mail to the boys at CoastalETech with that very question. Their e-mail is support@coastaletech.com

#19 ·
For those of you anxiously awaiting my install it will be a few more days. I did get my CHR558 yesterday but had to put my computer support hat on last night and help some family members with more pressing computer issues. My SRT goes back to the dealership tonight after work to have some clearcoat issues fixed so I won't have it back until Wednesday night at the earliest. Hopefully I can tackle it before the weekend as I also received my blendmount for my V1 radar detector which will be installed at the same time.

#21 · (Edited)
HERE ARE MY INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS. Enjoy!

Installation took me about 2.5 hours but if I did it again following these instructions it would take considerably less time. Keep in mind these instructions are the way I installed it and may not be the way you want to install it. Adjust accordingly. The SRT was the easiest of my three LockPick installations by far. This is due to the large amount of space behind the dash.

I will offer my candid feedback too and everyone can take it for what it's worth.

I have always been a fan of LockPicks and have them installed in all my vehicles. The CHR558 does not change my opinion about them. The CHR558 allows excellent iPod access and control by allowing the user to scroll through your iPod library just like you would on the actual device but by allowing you to use the steering wheel or radio controls. This is much easier than trying to find a song, artist, album, etc. using the touch screen on the SRT. The addition of the small remote gives you a third way to control functions of the LockPick.

The second reason why I like the LockPick is the video playback functionality. I have a 3.5 year old and rear seat entertainment is a must to keep her occupied regardless of how long the trip might be. For those of us who couldn't wait for the rear seat Blu ray system this is a very inexpensive alternative if you don't mind giving up your 8.4" screen while you drive. Just load up your iPod, select the iPod Apps function on the Lockpick and select which movie or show you want to play from your Ipod and you are all set. I will eventually have a rear seat screen setup and when I do I can route the AUX output from the Lockpick to that screen which will allow me to use the front screen while my daughter watches on the rear screen.

NAV in motion override is another great feature of the LockPick. The CHR558 is no different and allows the driver or passenger full access to the NAV menus while the vehicle is in motion.

Although not discussed in my instructions yet, I plan on installing a front camera. The LockPick allows unmatched control of up to four additional cameras. The front camera is a nice compliment to the stock rear view camera and is automatically activated at forward speeds of less than 7 MPH.

Only small drawback so far is that on the Cherokee SRTs we don't get LockPick touch screen functionality like some of other 2014 Chrysler products (300, Journey, and Charger). Would I use it if we had it? Probably, but the steering wheel controls are far more useful.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions you might have. I will update my instructions as needed and repost.

#23 ·
#22 ·
As Stated Before... Excellent Instructions :bigthumb:

#24 · (Edited)
I called over the summer to Coastal and they told me it is going to take some time to get around the 14 models radio set up and being that I had so many issues with my radio from week one 6/13 I will not be tinkering with it , it is'nt worth the drama at the dealership when they find out theres a attachment hooked up just my opinion….Those that do good luck

#26 ·
Rob,

Let me know how it goes and if you want met to tweak my instructions in any way. Good luck!

#28 ·
Write up worked great. I had mine installed in under an hour. I spent most of the time trying to figure out how to fit the module and harness under the right HVAC duct.

I ran the iPod and mini USB cables down to the passenger footwell. I pulled the iPod cable through the opening in the carpet and ran up next to the passenger seat. This allows me to have the cable out of sight when not being used, but easy to access when I plug in my iPad. The mini USB I just tucked back into the opening so I can just reach in and pull it out if I ever need to update the unit.

Do you have any interference on the video? It didn't appear so in your pictures but I thought I'd ask. I get a decent amount of herringbone interference on mine. Same issue whether the vehicle is running or not. I'll have to contact CoastalETech's support.

One other thing I noticed is the Lockpick did not work with the vehicle turned on to ACC. I had to turn it on to RUN. Not a huge deal, but operating it with only ACC on may be nice to have sometime.

Again, thanks for the write up. It was a HUGE time saver.

Reactions: CLStech
#29 · (Edited)
Glad you got it installed okay. Yes, I have the same interference you do. Not as visible during daylight hours but it shows up in a dark garage. My camera settings must have mitigated it. Yes, I verified the fact that the LockPick doesn't work in ACC mode either.

I should have put this picture in the instructions too. It shows somewhat how to route the module and harness behind the vertical support. I took this obviously before I wrapped it in bubble wrap.

Are you showing a TV tuner hooked up? If so which one? Or is that the NFL Sunday Ticket app from DirecTV?

#31 ·
Are you showing a TV tuner hooked up? If so which one? Or is that the NFL Sunday Ticket app from DirecTV?
It's Sunday Ticket streaming through a Slingbox using the Slingbox app on my iPad. Eliminates the need for a TV tuner and reception issues. As long as I have decent cell service from AT&T, I can stream anything on Directv.

I contacted CostalETech but their tech support department is on vacation until January 6. The interference really bugs me. You're correct, it's not as obvious when out in sunlight, but it's still there. For $400, I should at least be able to get a clean picture.

I had a Lockpick similar device in my Lexus and did not have any interference issues. I wonder if changing the location of the module or rerouting the wiring would have any effect. I'll be pulling mine back apart after I receive my HDMI to composite video converter to see if I can get video from my iPhone 5s into the AUX input of the Lockpick. I already have a cradle mounted for my iPhone with power and the Apple Lightning AV adapter, so now it's just a matter of converting the HDMI to analog. Then I can eliminate the 30 pin connector from the Lockpick altogether.

#30 ·
That's cable so I think he is using an app on an iPad/iPhone/iPod

#32 ·
Sounds like a ground loop somewhere. Hopefully they can track it down. Since the video signal to the screen is is passing within there module and not an actual rca jack, we can't ground the signal ourselves...

Hope a solution comes quickly for that because that would annoy me being an applications engineer in the A/V industry.

#34 ·
I have not troubleshot the interference issue. I was waiting to see if rgstech got any feedback from CoastalETech. I do not have this issue on the GMX550 that is installed in my 2011 Avalanche.

Let's see if rgstech comes back with anything in a day or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.