Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Lowering Jeep and Snow Questions

4K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  MJC 
#1 ·
I had some general questions about lowering the jeep. I daily drive my beast, so how does a lowered jeep handle snow? I live in Michigan, so I see my share of snow. Is there plenty of clearance for the "usual" snow fall and plowed roads?

Also, how does the lowered clearance affect other daily driving issues? Do you guys have any issues with clearance after lowering that you didn't have prior to lowering? e.g. to low for an automatic car wash, driveways, parking lot/road transitions?

Thanks for any input.

#3 ·
I drive mine in the Michigan snow with no issues, but I do replace the front bumper cover with the standard Jeep one and I also run on BFG's too. Over there in Byron Center you get lake effect snow so it might be a bit different for you. I never do auto car washes. Driveways and such it just depends. I have only hit a few times due to potholes in the entrance, no damage though just scrapes the bolt that connects to the airdam brace.

I am running the RoadMagnets version 2

#4 ·
If you live in a rural area like I do with long gravel driveway, snow drifts and I am the snow removal service, lowering the Jeep is out of the question. It doesn't plow wet drifted snow as it comes from the factory even with Blizzaks. If you live in an urban area where the streets are cleaned for you and you have a 20 Ft driveway then sure.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I'm still debating if I want to lower it. I've yet to
have the jeep in any snow, so I have no idea what to expect. I've had some issues with the front scraping already, so I'm not sure if I want to drop it anymore. They do look awesome lowered! I've been checking out some pics.

#6 ·
I'm lowered and had no issues with snow. I live in the city although they don't plow alleys. No damage when plowing fresh snow. :eek:

#8 ·
winter definitely can pay its toll on the front end if you go in anything more than 5 inches...never know when its ICE youre plowing either...

i had to, sorry! lol

however i had my 2008 altima on coilovers with 3/4in of clearance with the chassis and the ground and hardly ever hit or scraped...its all about your approach on parking lots and driveways. even a lowered jeep still have just about as much if not more ground clearance than most cars on the road. if thats whats holding you back just do it already!

#9 ·
^^^Same thing happened to me. Ball of ice that fell off a truck in front of me, and no way to avoid it. $1800 bill. We also had some really deep ruts this year in the residential areas, that were impossible to stay out of. Had a couple of close calls where the bumper was riding on ice. Depends on how wintery your area is, and how good they are at clearing it.

#11 ·
Generaly speaking I'm very surprised at how crappy the SRT is in the snow but it has little to do with the clearance and more to do with the AWD system and the wide tires. I'd say don't let ground clearance hold you back but if possible, drive the wifes or gf's car in heavy snow!!

#12 ·
I live in North Dakota and have 275/315 Continental Tires and have no issue driving around in the snowy tundra that ND is, just can't be too heavy on the skinny pedal but I get around just fine.

Only time I've ever had an issue is when the snow froze solid and bumper had clearance issues.

#13 ·
IF you wanna lower it, one of the solutions is to get some taller tires and raise it up an inch.

I'm in kalamazoo and have a brand new set of Blizzaks I didn't even use cuz I had a different car for the snow. They're a little narrower (cut through the snow) and a little taller (1 inch boost in ground clearance) to get the facia's chin out of the snow.

Lemme know if ur interested I'll meet you and u can see them in person.

#14 ·
Do they fit on the stock wheels or what size? I may be interested. I am out of town a lot for work so I can't check them out anytime soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.