Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Heat from WK1's Exhasut and Towing Trailers W/Surge Brakes

878 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  tpabayflyer 
#1 · (Edited)
Heat from WK1's Exhaust and Towing Trailers W/Surge Brakes

Just towed my boat for the first time with the GC (stock exhaust) and as expected the trailer tongue got pretty darn warm from the GC's exhaust.

I was wondering if anyone towing trailers with the hydraulic surge brakes has had any issues with the surge brakes failing due to the heat from the Jeeps exhaust?

I am think I will either get a 1 1/4 to 2" adapter which will allow the trailer to sit back further from the exhaust or see about getting hitch that goes straight out versus curved up or down. My receiver is directly above the exhaust but under the bumper cover so this would raise the trailer tongue above the exhaust. yes i know heat rises but i am betting this would be cooler than the exhaust blowing directly on the trailer tongue/surge brake actuator.

Thanks in advance

#2 ·
My 09 limited has the full srt8 exhaust and I modified/welded the stock class 4 hitch to work with the srt8 bumper...... I have to remove the tail pipe exhaust to install the hitch and it is pretty easy to do only takes a few minutes. Surprisingly, then exhaust note is not that much louder with the exhaust ending at the rear axle....... That should prevent your localized heating of the hitch area.....TBF

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.