Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Not a single muffler with a turbo!?!?

3K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Rose City GC SRT8 
#1 · (Edited)
Got pics of the sts sytem today, it's mounted before the rear axle, looks clean...... no resonators I expected but no muffler either?!? I re-checked the ncts, rear mounted turbo, but still no muffler?!?!? How is this sounding, won't it be insanely loud? Droning fetish? Dudes with either system, how much louder is this going to be over my Corsa.....

#14 ·
Single rear mount NCTS turbo, w/o muffler and resonators. Does this video with sound help?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Ny60s3mzE
Allow me to add my take on this. I've heard Dan's 426 in person. It is a definite attention getter. To me, it sounds a lot like an aggressively cammed NA engine with headers. Until you hear that pop-off valve. I absolutely love the sound of his rig! Dan and I have cruised into car shows together a few times. All eyes are on his rig. No comparison to the burbling Mopar/Corsa I've got. I always thought turbos would be too tame sounding, but Dan's Jeep has me sold.

#6 ·
Ok I'm in......... seriously, what happens when you're cruising the highway at 70mph, not just flat, I have constant hills here, a load on the motor, what will I hear. A turbo would fit perfectly, but i really can't do more cab noise than what the Corsa gets me. Awesome clips by the way guys, sweeeet!

#7 ·
Thanks man, you'll love the turbo!

Cruising the highway mine makes a nice low rumble. Hills are fine but if your talking mountains then you'll probably have to downshift to avoid loading the engine into a boosted state. I haven't heard the Corsa, but if I get on mine it gets insanely loud with the headers, turbo and atmospheric dump on the wastegate.

#9 ·
You'll hear the slight whistling of the turbo and the swsshh sound of the blow off valve as you get out of boost :D
My 6.1L engine running low boost sounded tame at all speeds compared to the 7.0L, mild cam and 12 psi boost I have now. I enjoyed every minute driving through OR, CA, NV and AZ. Have to be careful going up hills as the extra load causes the engine to go into boost much easier. Feels like a rocket going downhill as you pass cars going uphill. :) Sometimes I've noticed drone, but it's not bad to me. Crank up the tunes to compensate. Even with the 6.1L engine, I think you'd be very happy going with a turbo.

#11 ·
Holy crap on my face batman that TT is evil, just evil.!!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
Turbo's not having a muffler are not that uncommon. Federal law recognizes a turbo as a muffler, so as previously stated they knock down the sound a lot as the turbine wheel literally chops up the exhaust stream and sound frequencies. In a lot of cases on factory vehicles, the SRT-4 for example, they will install one or two resonators to eliminate certain annoying frequencies.

I am working on the system for my 07 300C 5.7 now, and it will not have a traditional muffler, I am using an 18" case length 3" in/out SLP Loud Mouth Bullet II as a resonator right before the exhaust tip. In the past, I have used Vibrant 8" case length 3" in/out resonators with good success and very little drone.

My 300C will be a departure from what I have done in the past, instead of going from the single 3" turbo exhaust to a 3" in 2.5" out "Y" to both tips, I am running a full 3" out to the driver side tip only.

To match for tip configuration in the rear fascia, I am running a dedicated 2.5" from the 60mm wastegate out to the passenger side through a matching SLP resonator and tip combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.