Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Tried, not owned

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  NateO 
#1 · (Edited)
Heading out to work this morning and as the garage is opening, the opposite garage opens as well. Guess what peeks out? A brand new Subaru WRX STI! I let him go first... Mwa ha ha... ;)

So, we get lined up in the single lane to jump on the on ramp for [insert major highway], stopped at the light, he's in pole position, I'm right behind him. While I did not rev at the light, I just assumed it was go time! But he started off the light rather slowly, so I put a little charge into his rear bumper, and what do you know, he drops the hammer into the on ramp!

He took off like a bat out of hell, and I was on it!! It's not a good stretch of road/time of day (rush-hour) to run extremely fast on (very twisty) or two-lanes on, so I wasn't trying to pass, just hang tight, and hang tight I did! I'm pretty sure neither one of us were maxing our vehciles out, we both let off at 80 mph, just a fast morning run through the twisties. :cool:

So, no kill, but tried, and not owned! Fun run with a pretty fast car, by most standards! First car that's tried to leave me behind like that... He must have been wondering how in the hell a Jeep was hanging, without issue, with his STI in the twisties! Hello Bilstein shocks! :D

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Yeah, this is a different deal, this wasn't two cars lined up understanding when it's time to go... And a bit of a pity at that!

By the time I realized he was trying to run away from me, and put my foot into it, he was two lengths ahead and of accelerating while I was decelerating (getting back off his bumper)...

Perhaps this picture will help:

You can see you have about 1/2 mile until curve #1, and the first half of that is single lane, then two. But you have to be wary of the right lane, as those green lines I have drawn in are merges, and cars tend to merge in there at about 35 mph... Minnesotans, in general, tend to merge at speeds slower than traffic... :rolleyes:

So, I caught up and was pacing him, in the left lane, by curve 1, and we were moving... Those curves seem sharper at high speeds! I would not try that in a regular Jeep! ;)

There's not much you can do after the curves, as you need to let up at the 2nd green line as the two lanes shut down into one, there.

Perhaps not the greatest story... But I'll take what I can get, it seemed like fun at the time, and the SRT8 keeps that STI from leaving the scene! The SRT8 is alive and well! :cool: :D

#5 ·
Thanks! Figured it would describe the route a little better... :D

We we moving from right-to-left on that image. :cool:

There tends to be a lot of radar action on the left-to-right stretch of that road... Not a good spot to play, at all. :eek:

#6 ·
Minnesotans, in general, tend to merge at speeds slower than traffic...
Nate, you just made the understatement of the century. For those that are from other states, what he is referring to is the infamous, "Minnesota Blend On".

This term refers to Minnesotan's whose merging skills consists of driving down a ramp and on to the freeway at 35 MPH. Of course, this causes all traffic traveling in the right lane to come to a screeching halt, but the offender has "blended" on.

My wife and I have driven all over the country and this is definitely a Minnesota thing. Also, "Slowest Vehicle, Block Left Lane" is another one. Sorry to hijack the thread, I just had to comment.

#9 · (Edited)
Washington State?

MNBob said:
Nate, you just made the understatement of the century.
Yes, I sure did, thank you for the validation. It's not really a hi-jack, it's part of the story. While I wanted some Rice-a-Roni for breakfast, it's a very dicey stretch of road to run on at high speeds, two-lanes wide... ;)

Don't even get me started on Minnesotans and the left lane, it's insane how some people drive on highways in this state... And they think they're right, when they're actually breaking the law!!

I grew up in Toronto, where (as I recall) people merge up to speed, and you get serious wake-up calls for camping in the left lane, flashing brights, etc... Actually, Toronto has some of the most serious traffic & 'road rage' I have ever seen, including Los Angeles.... The 401 (where it hits 18-lanes wide!) and the QEW are no joke, anything about mild mannered Canadians goes out the window on these two roads!!

I don't go as far as to flash my brights... It's a little excessive, more so in SUV riding a car...

Don't get me wrong, I love Minnesota, but we have some terrible highway drivers... Very inconsiderate when it comes to managing their speed and lane positions, i.e., they don't manage either… Not a care in the freaking world! :rolleyes:

In any event, seeing as this is my neighbor, I'll see, if I meet him, if he wants to line them up somewhere and go! If so, I'll post back. Another friend of mine, with a vanilla, modded WRX (bigger turbo, etc..) absolutely refuses to run, from a roll or dig (I want to run from a dig, of course!) more mods are required, first. Smart guy... :)

#10 ·
Hay NateO you should come back up here to Toronto and skip the 401 and QEW. It's worse than ever - a damn war zone. People (Detroit resident with a handgun who decided to take the rage up a notch) shooting at each other on the highway two days ago.
Where you want to be is the 407 toll highway that travels across the top of the Greater Toronto Area. You have to pay to play but it tends to keep off most of the "left lane traffic regulators" who feel it is their sworn duty to keep people under the posted speed limit. Anyway the highway is practically deserted in the evening and begging for a nice safe high speed run. The cops won't stop you if you keep it under 90 mph. but you're on your own above that.

#11 ·
Well tues night we are headin up to detroit with her family following with one of those wrxi( the fast subaru) well no race intended, when all the sudden her dad comes from behind and puts the hammer down. Not a fair race, but it was on then. So, she opened the beast up and ran that foreign piece of sh** down and blew by. I was amazed how that Jeep moves out, and yes I talked to her old man and he had it floored. So I classify this as a come from behind kill.

#14 · (Edited)
Eh2BRUTEh said:
Where you want to be is the 407 toll highway that travels across the top of the Greater Toronto Area. You have to pay to play but it tends to keep off most of the "left lane traffic regulators" who feel it is their sworn duty to keep people under the posted speed limit.
I was on there one night in my buddy's M3, doing 120 mph... He was just showing me his daily beater! :eek: :cool:

I left in '92 so the 407 is after my time, but I go back every year. Since I'm only there for a week or so, I don't bother with the 407 and get to mess around with the 401, and it's messy.

Haven't had the Jeep in downtown Toronto, though. Last summer I drove it from Minneapolis up to Sauble beach, Ontario. Long drive, 20 hours or so, each way, but I drove along Huron, from Grand Bend and up. Sweet trip, and the SRT8 was perfect for those two-lane highways and passing! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.