Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Decided to try some Carbon Fiber Fabrication...

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  BurgundySRT 
#1 ·
So, I got interested in composites a while back and really like the way that Carbon Fiber looks on the Jeep, so I figured I'd give it a try by making Red CF covers for the side panels. I know that no one makes CF Side Panels, and I wanted to make covers instead of actual panels so that I could easily remove them if I didn't like the look, and I didn't have to take the Door Panels off. To make them completely one off I tried to get a little creative with paint and stenciling, but not sure I like the looks. Let me know what you guys think. Due to loss of sunlight, I wasn't able to get a pic with them all installed on the jeep, but I put one on real quick and snapped a pic so you could see how they fit.

My pile of mess ups until I finally got it right

Laying down the Red Rock over the Stencil, and then the clear

Finished Product

On the Jeep

Some Interior Panels I made for my Brothers Lexus

See less See more
#2 ·
That's some amazing work. Can you explain how to do this?

#3 ·
It's not a hard process just tedious. You start by making a mold. In my case I was making covers, so I just used the part as the mold. You start off by waxing the part down. Then you lay a coat of resin, wait for it to get very tacky(probably the most important part and is the process that I couldn't get right the first couple times because the CF sheet kept pulling up on me), and then lay the sheet of Carbon Fiber down on top pushing it on to the resin. Let it dry and then just start applying coats of resin, sand it down, apply more coats of resin, and then sand it down again until it's completely smooth. Then I apply a final coat of gelcoat to it and wet sand. Then Clear Coat. There's a lot more to it, and it's mostly trial and error, but that's a breakdown of what I did.

#4 ·
Saw this on TSC. Cool stuff

Sent from my iPhone 5

#6 ·
Probably wont be back home until near the end of the year.

Sent from my iPhone 5

#12 ·
That looks amazing, I love the stencil/half painted look on the fronts... very unique and an awesome touch :D

I was going to try something similar but then I got lazy and just painted them, lol... Maybe I'll give it a try if my paint job cracks or gets scratched ;)

Looking forward to seeing daytime installed pics :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.