Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

A few procharger issues

2K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MattSRT 
#1 ·
So I installed the procharger kit on my 07. As soon as it boosts up it starts to lean out. at first we thought it was the tune. I emailed the tuner from procharger and was told that it was because of my exhaust, and their tune was not written for exhaust. now we have it narrowed down to loosing fuel pressure once it gets into boost. So I tested the fuel pump voltage booster and found out it is not upping the voltage. I tested the pill and it is in the ohm range it should be in for the voltage needed. Now when I tested it for voltage I bypassed the boost switch so it was acting like it was boosted up, then checked the voltage at the wire right at the booster thinking it should spike up to 16.5. So is this the right way to test it? Seems like the only way to me to be able to test it.
It also tells you to mount it on the inner fender behind the battery. The operating range says no more than 100* and 140* max for ambient temp. Here in central cali, it is over 100 just outside. Could this by chance have any affect on the voltage booster not switching up the voltage? Thanks for any help.

Reactions: Passmg2
#2 ·
I've never messed with the boost a pump but lots of guys have and can chime in on messing with one. Personally I would buy a walbro 400 pump, drop the tank, and replace the stock one. It will be more reliable all the time, less wires, fewer headaches, and it will support up to a 700plus HP motor.
I've been running my walbro since day one of the PC and it's never given any problems.

#3 ·
So I installed the procharger kit on my 07. As soon as it boosts up it starts to lean out. at first we thought it was the tune. I emailed the tuner from procharger and was told that it was because of my exhaust, and their tune was not written for exhaust. now we have it narrowed down to loosing fuel pressure once it gets into boost. So I tested the fuel pump voltage booster and found out it is not upping the voltage. I tested the pill and it is in the ohm range it should be in for the voltage needed. Now when I tested it for voltage I bypassed the boost switch so it was acting like it was boosted up, then checked the voltage at the wire right at the booster thinking it should spike up to 16.5. So is this the right way to test it? Seems like the only way to me to be able to test it.

It also tells you to mount it on the inner fender behind the battery. The operating range says no more than 100* and 140* max for ambient temp. Here in central cali, it is over 100 just outside. Could this by chance have any affect on the voltage booster not switching up the voltage? Thanks for any help.

Heat can definitely affect it operating properly. I had a similar experience in the past with a BAP and heat would cause it to not increase voltage and lean out. I decided to ditch the BAP and drop in a Walbro 400. Honestly the cost is the same between the pump and the BAP and it is not that difficult of a job to do yourself if you have someone to give you a hand with some tips off of here. You can do it yourself too, but it is easier with help. Go with the pump, it is the right way to do it and you don't have to worry about your BAP crapping out and blowing your motor. Just my .02

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 · (Edited)
I used to run a Kenne Bell BAP, I actually didn't have any issues with it at all. It was good with my Vortech running 10 pounds of boost. However as soon as I put in a PTCM and saw the extra few RPMs I could see I was running out of fuel at peak.
So naturally I blamed it on the BAP, because everybody craps on the things and I get why.
So I said what the hell and I buy a drop in Wally 400. Only I had the same problem still happening and it turns out I was out of injector.

Looking back I didn't have any issues with my KB BAP and I ran it for probably three years as a daily driver even in the harsh winters.

So yeah a pump is a lot safer I'd say but the bottom line is both could screw up. You're probably better off installing a fuel pressure gauge in close view.

IMO I would go drop in 400 and FP gauge.

Reactions: Bagged
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.