Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Turbo Kit!!!!

36K views 181 replies 49 participants last post by  AussieSRT@TTC 
#1 · (Edited)
So I have noticed that there are no companies that offer a bolt on turbo kit for our rigs. How many people would be interested in buying a up and downpipe kit that bolts on to stock exhaust manifolds and stock location exhausts? Also would include a front mount intercooler and pipes. The reason im asking is because a buddy of mine is going to fabricate a kit for my rig and is thinking of making a couple of tuner like kits! What do you guys think?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
There is Twin Turbo Creations and Stage 6 does pretty much all the turbo builds for the JEEPS.
If your guy can make a kit that would be another option for the modholics:D on the forum.
I say go for it man.
The more options the better.
Trust me it would be well received.

#3 ·
Thanks man, we are going to start the build the first week of May. Ill post pictures of every step of the way. My buddy has crazy talent and this is not his first rodeo on fabing kits. He has done Hondas, VW, Volvos,Jeep yj, Porsche 944, Silverados ect. Does top quality work . You guys will see. Also would be affordable for the non ballers like me ;) hahah

#14 ·
Has anyone installed an STS? Or heard any reviews about it?

#8 ·
Subcr. for updates !

#9 ·
My kit bolts to the stock manifolds. All we would have to do is copy it. Stage 6 baby!

#33 ·
I'm subscribing... because I'm interested to see the new "kit"

But... offering up Stage 6's design is bad form homie.
You go to a shop, have them hook you up. They do what I'm sure is a top notch job, and you offer up their work for ppl to get up on like a cheap hooker. Come on now, have a little respect for the guys doing the work and supporting us. If another shop wants to build a kit, let them come up with their own design.

#13 ·
subscribed.. hopefully affordable means affordable :)

#16 ·
When you ad up the price of all the parts, hoses, bov, wastegate, fuel pumps, wiring, injectors, tuning, Turbo, and even if the piping is decently priced, its never gonna be cheap and affordable. That's not to mention all the other problems you run into. I'm one guy who loves a deal, but sometimes you have to pay the piper to get into the game, and you don't wanna go cheap on something like this. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

#20 ·
Wow! what a great read that thread was LOL!!

#22 ·
Good luck. As a non-baller myself I applaud your effort.
But....

As has been shown time and again in myriad builds, throwing
A turbo kit (single, twin ) is a big deal to the jeep as a vehicle.

Even if they kit was "cheap" for let's say 7g. You still need supporting mods to make it worthwhile. A tranny/torque convertor is a given, fuel system
Will be needed to upgraded. And the motor will be under a great deal of stress
And statistically will go at some point.

By that time you re well into five figures and that is a bare bones
Set uP.

Also, no two jeeps are identical and the tolerances are so tight up front
That a kit thAt fits perfectly on one jeep may be way off on another .

I have seen this first hand. This also makes it hard to jig the kit.

Turbos for the jeep are more involved than making a catback for a mustang.

Choice of turbo and motor size can also affect piping size and routing.

I could go on but the bottom line is that it s not easy. This is why stage 6/ttc/kms fab each kit in house on the vehicle. There are a few exceptions but it's tricky.

Do a kit on yours and show us the goods. If it s all you claim it could be you ll have a lot of business.

#24 ·
I understand that not all vehicles are alike but if Perrin can make bolt on rotated turbo kits for my Wrx Sti then we can make one for our Srt's. People still have to understand that even though companies call bolt on kits, BOLT ON. Its never the case. Their is always some slight modifications people would have to do. At least thats what I found out with my Sti.

#31 ·
Having a pipe bolting up to the stock manis and having the Turbos near the bell housing is exactly like a lot of G8 and GTO kits did them. System was very minimal and it worked well. I'd be down for sure, twin gt35r's would get the trick done under there.

#35 ·
I quoted Chuck because I was responding to Chuck. That statement was directed at him.
As for your efforts, go on with your bad self. I hope u get it goin'. Keep us posted. (hence ehy I subscribed)
I know there are shops all over the country that can do the piping. I know 3 with in about 15 minutes of my place here in VA. But someones gonna have to tune it. and the list of people who I would trust to do that is very short.

#37 ·
If you plan on using quality parts, you're looking at 5400-6000 in just parts alone with a journal bearing turbo and piping man. That's not even including labor. Good luck to you. There are a lot of little things that you're not taking into consideration. To sell them at your price goal, you'll be making these kits for free for people. Good luck.

#40 ·
If you're going cheap, do it CHEAP. Chinese turbos are like 400 on eBay, universal piping kits are super cheap too, buy 2 of them. WG and BOV can come from there too. People have been building junkyard turbo kits for a decade now. If you have the resources and the knowledge and you're willing to work with cheap materials and cheap parts you could be running for 4k, no problem.

OTOH, guys driving 40k trucks don't want a $2k turbo kit blowing up their shit, or spraying oil all over the place or having cracked welds and so on. The guys on here selling kits are using premium parts and materials and tuning. I think if the jig idea was working for anyone the kits would be cheaper, but I guess that isn't feasible, so we just have to drop off the rig with a handful of cash and pick up a beast from the shop of your choice.

Good luck man.

#41 ·
When Harrison and I first talked about jigging the kit it sounded like a good idea because a lot of people can't send it all the way to FL. The problem you run into is that everyone wants something custom and it has been easier to just custom make every kit. As someone said earlier, every car is different. Everything can be done for cheaper, but at what cost, blowing your shit up? Like I said before, you have to pay the piper to get into the game.

As Jack said, good luck!

#51 ·
If that's all your after, just run a wastegate spring.

#47 ·
Do yourself a favor a buy a decent intercooler for God's sake. Yes they are $200 on Ebay.... and yes, they DO SUCK! They are inefficient and the pressure loss blows. We see people all the time bring those POS's into our shop. You're buying decent parts so far getting TiAL and a Garrett turbo. So why put a cheap ass POS part on it as crucial as the intercooler?

#48 ·
I talked to stage 6 about fabbing up all the piping, never heard back from them via email. I think stage 6 should fab up the Y piping and the full hot and cold side, sell it for a thousand bucks shipped. i know i would have already bought it. and your not ripping off their kit, i have dated plans from a couple weeks after i bought mine that was basically identical to stage 6 before i saw theirs. different turbo and a couple other things but piping set up was identical. the only custom part about their kit is the piping, not the idea.

#50 ·
$1000? The mandrel piping alone costs more than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.