Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Burning Synthetic Oil

8K views 25 replies 12 participants last post by  Limey Hooligan 
#1 ·
I had a question about synthetic oil. I've been using Mobil 1 0W40 for quite some time now and was told that synthetic is excellent for our engines, but burns faster than regular oil. I change my oil every 7K or 6 months (whichever is first). I got the oil changed 3 mos ago and just checked the oil about a week ago and I was 2 1/2 quarts low. I've checked for leaks, but don't see anything. Is this normal for our trucks to burn 2 1/2 quarts in 3 mos?

Thanks for your input.

#2 ·
In a period of 4000 miles I can use anywhere from 1 to 2 quarts at times man. I see no leaks either. I think it all depends if you really get on the rig man...

#8 ·
2.5qts does seem like alot. with your mods, you shouldnt be burning that much. what color is your exhaust? (if you can see it)

#10 ·
Hmmm...seems a bit much. I empty my catch can every oil change 10K km (6K mi) & it's about 3/4 full. I just had my oil changed so now that you've brought this up, I'll have to check how low the oil is before my next one. I have 80K mi on it right now.

#18 ·
was looking for blue smoke but thats not the case...

try that 15w50 as stated above. :info-smilie:

#20 ·
Same issue here. Been using Mobile 0w40. During the first winter I had to empty the catch can once a week. Otherwise it would fill up and freeze, blowing my valve cover gaskets. Since winter is over Ive checked it and its always empty. Talked to one source, they said try using conventional oi in the winterl. Said synthetic is too slick, not sticking to the cylinders and allowing excessive blowby. Im about a 1-1.5 qts low between oil changes. Ive got around 104,000 miles. Have put about 10k on it in a year.

#21 ·
Same issues here lately. Oil change every 5,000, roll 150 mi a day. 2 quarts low. Motor has some miles on it too, boosted miles at that. ******d everyday, and no puddles. Might try that 15-50. I heard synthetic is just hard to keep in anyways because the molecules are smaller. As the motor gets older and tolerances a little looser, then she starts getting thirsty.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.