Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

This has probably been discussed hundreds of times...

2K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  GlaciusGA 
#1 ·
What's up guys. I'm Eli, new to the world of Jeep performance so pardon if this topic has been beaten to death. But, I'm wanting to do a Hemi conversion in my 2007 GC, but was wondering what all I would run into as far as doing so.

Now, I know this is an srt8 forum and my Jeep isn't an srt8, NOR am I trying to turn it into one. Just figured this would be the best place to look for performance help. I'm not looking to do interior or even the dress kit of anything. All I want is something fun to drive, without dropping $40k that I don't have. I'm planning on finding all used parts if available.

My GC is a 3.7 V6. Bought it as you see it for $6,800 with 120k miles, and it's paid off. So like I said, I want a good solid project and instead of buying something else, I'd like to go with this. Any and all input is greatly appreciated and I look forward to talking with you guys.

See less See more
#7 ·
Hahahaha nah I don't think I want to go that route. I need something reliable I can drive to work everyday and this is my only vehicle. Besides I'm planning on lowering mine anyways and the trans will need a rebuild soon so I figure why not make it fast? Lol

#8 ·
Its going to be a lot of extra time, money and effort then it will be worth in the long run. Your saying you want to do a motor swap as well as rebuild the tranny.

Why not just look for something that comes from the factory to fit your guidelines a bit more? You can find tons of used vehicles that would better fit what your looking to do.

Save yourself the hassle of rebuilding a whole vehicle and get something that will give you what you want without any gremlins.

Dont get me wrong I love different and following different routes but if I do that I want to know for a fact I will be more then satisfied when it is all done.

#9 ·
I agree with that 100% DC. Just my only issue is finding something affordable. Since my GC is paid off completely, I'd rather not have another car payment and higher insurance. Now I know that those things would equal out into buying just an SRT8 but I got more ideas than just the motor swap. I also want to try seeing about putting a manual trans in it as well. Making it a more "one off custom". And I've seen people say things about resale value etc. I'm not worried about that in the slightest because I'm not planning on selling it since i have no payment at all unless I get an offer that I can't refuse. But if it's going to be more worth it to just buy an SRT8, then I may as well see what I can find from an individual. (I work at a Ford dealership and if I buy from a dodge dealer I could lose my job.) Don't need that happening lol

#10 ·
Sounds to me like you need to buy a cheap daily driver and just start a "build" on your current jeep if you want to have something different from everyone. I'm sure you could swap the engine and rebuild the trans but if all you want is more performance find a used SRT8. If you are worried about insurance rates then maybe keep saving. I have done several build type threads and at the end I loved the finished product and everything is the way I want it, but my budget was blown by 2x-3x my plan.

#11 ·
This has been discussed on here a few times and the conclusion is always the same. The hemi conversion on your Jeep will not make it an SRT8. There are a lot of other suspension, brake, wheel etc components the GC SRT8 has that allow it to handle the way it does etc. If you are purely looking to add a stroker to your jeep and no other supporting mods, well then it will be feasible to do just that. But if you are looking to clone an SRT8, it will be cheaper to purchase a used 06 SRT8.

#12 ·
In no way am I trying to clone an srt8 jeep. Just want to make mine more custom to what I want. I don't want the body kit or the interior or badges or anything. Just want to lower mine(which also handles pretty good as is for what I want), manual trans, and a 5.7 Hemi. Maybe custom paint later but that's not a priority. None of it is really but it'd be something out of the ordinary, and that's what I'm about.

#14 · (Edited)
I would say don't bother. You will easily spend $10K+ on the engine and tranny alone. Then you will need all new headers, cats, exhaust, etc. That's just the basic items. You're talking about a $15K-$20K project easily. This isn't something that can be done little by little, and still drive it everyday either. There will be a ton of downtime, bugs, demons, gremlins, bad luck, etc. If your Jeep is 4x4, than manual transmission will pretty much be impossible if you want it to stay 4x4.....and may require extensive customization to do it at all. You need to find a manual transmission that can handle the power you need......... fit in the space you need........has the shifter where you need it........... find a way to mount it........find a bellhousing that will work.........find a flywheel and clutch that will work.........make a custom clutch pedel and linkage since there are no manual GCs.........have a custom driveshaft made.......should I continue? There is so much more to this than ordering parts from a website, and bolting them in. I wouldn't be surprised if you had to spend over $30K to complete this.

You can get a used SRT8 with under 100K for less than you will spend to build yours.

#15 ·
Even getting another Jeep with a 5.7 will be a better place to start. Not necessarily an SRT

#16 ·
True. I was thinking of finding a motor from a wrecked car and same for tranny. No looking for new, but still they aren't cheap. Idk where I'm going to go with it. I was just mainly looking to see what it would cost to take on such a project. I appreciate all you guys' input tho! Either way I'm still gonna keep my eyes open for any options.

#18 · (Edited)
True. I was thinking of finding a motor from a wrecked car and same for tranny. No looking for new, but still they aren't cheap.

Think about it a while before you do anything. You already have $6,800 invested in your Jeep. Even if you get an engine and tranny for say $5000, you're into it for $11,800. Then the supporting pieces to put it together, etc.......approaching $15,000. Your Jeep is only worth around $7,000-$8,000......so it turns into a major negative investment. A basic rule of thumb is never invest more into a vehicle, than the finished restored value........unless you have money falling out of your a$$, and just dont care about how much money you lose. ;)
Customizing it will only further depreciate the value, because it makes it sellable to fewer people. So you will have to commit.....do it right.....and keep it for a long time, because you will lose all of the money you put into it. You have to question if a junkyard motor and tranny are going to last long enough to be worth the investment.

Think about the kind of cars you can buy/finance for $15,000-$20,000 that are fast, reliable, and are able to be resold for their blue book value.

#17 ·
It's possible but not cheap...you're better off getting a Jeep with a hemi in it already.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.