Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Coolant tank empty...

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  robpp 
#1 ·
so i just popped the hood to give things a look over and I noticed the coolant tank is EMPTY!
just 2 weeks ago I had the dealership replace the waterpump since it was leaking. they did a new thermo, water pump and coolant flush. now i'm empty!
there are no leaks, driveway is clear, my circle temp gauge is in the normal range and there is no sign of "spray". this happen to anyone else and what was the culprit? btw, i DID use the search button but all the MBing thats gone on here its hard to find anything.

#2 ·
so i just popped the hood to give things a look over and I noticed the coolant tank is EMPTY!
just 2 weeks ago I had the dealership replace the waterpump since it was leaking. they did a new thermo, water pump and coolant flush. now i'm empty!
there are no leaks, driveway is clear, my circle temp gauge is in the normal range and there is no sign of "spray". this happen to anyone else and what was the culprit? btw, i DID use the search button but all the MBing thats gone on here its hard to find anything.

No worries very normal mine did it after I did my theromstat swap they should of drove it for a while and watched it all it was doing was replacing some lost fluid after it worked out the air. Fill it up with some distilled water for now and go by Dodge or Jeep and get some coolant DO NOT MIX ANY OTHER KIND

#4 ·
Only worry I have is that it did not set off a CEL mine did and that is how I knew it was empty unless yours was just not down to the very bottom or bone dry

#7 ·
So you can't just put any coolant in there? Even if it says "Mix with ANY color coolant for ANY vehicle"? I was about to do the thermostat install and got some coolant from wal-mart, becuase my coolant was already low, so I figured I'd fill it up while I was there.

#8 · (Edited)
I only know what i read. and the data says not to mix anything with this new HOAT technology anti-freeze. Not sure why, i have read hear it makes sludge in the coolant but I never saw that.
---------------------
Mopar Antifreeze/Coolant 5-year/100,000 mile formula
The recommended mixture is 50/50 ethylene-glycol and water. Never use pure antifreeze.

Only Mopar Antifreeze Coolant, 5 Year/100,000 Mile Formula (glycol base coolant with corrosion inhibitors called HOAT) is recommended. This coolant offers the best engine cooling without corrosion when mixed with 50% distilled water.

Note: Antifreeze mixture must always be at least 44%, all climates year round. Maximum protection (-90d) is provided with a 68% mixture protection.

Do not change the thermostat for summer or winter operation. If replacement is ever necessary, install ONLY the correct type thermostat. Other designs may result in unsatisfactory cooling performance, poor gas mileage, and increased emissions.

I also found this, but is was posted, dont know if its 100% correct.
-------------
According to DC and their FSM, it is safe to mix a HOAT coolant with the old green dyed one. It is not recommended though due to the reason of loosing HOAT benefits (long-life and anti-corrosion).

From ZEREX- this is what HOAT technology buys you:

Protection for up to 5 years / 150,000 miles
Approved by Ford and DaimlerChrysler for use in automotive and diesel engines.
Utilizes hybrid organic acid technology to minimize inhibitor depletion
Low-silicate, low-pH and phosphate-free formula
Provides protection against liner pitting and corrosion
Helps prevent rust and corrosion
Helps prevent hot weather boil-overs and cold weather freeze-ups
Protects all cooling system metals, including aluminum

Last note: this is what all Mercedes vehicles use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.