Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

What did you do to your Jeep today?

1M views 9K replies 612 participants last post by  bxcharger 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a wildly successful thread on another forum I'm on, so I thought I might as well start it here.

Today I traced down a loud squeling coming from the engine that I determined was a result of a cheap belt. I determined it was the belt by spraying the grooves of the belt with WD40 while the engine was running. If the squeling is the belt, the sqeeling will stop when you spray it.

Next I found a location to install my catch can. To do so I had to cut two bolts and trim the head of one of them. For those that have removed your stock CAI, there is a bracket just waiting to be put to work.

Here's some photos for the hell of it. I know it's not the prettiest thing you've ever seen, but it functions nicely. :)

See less See more
#5,817 ·
Jeep failed the baggy test. Clay bar'd the shit out of it today. Sooo smooth :)

#5,818 ·
Nice!

You should the new claying products, like a Nanoskin Wash Mitt. I can "clay" 4x times faster, plus you can drop it on the ground and reuse it!

Reactions: SemperP-SRT8
#5,820 · (Edited)
They make mitts, sponges, blocks and even DA pads that have a surface that feels like a rubber material that removes decontaminates like clay. But, you have a larger working area and no need to knead! And imagine using it with a DA!

The are alittle pricey, I think $50+ depending on what style and brand go you with. I get mine typically from autogeek, and there are other brands, but I have only used Nanoskin products.

But after using the mitt, I rarely use a clay bar. (I still need it for some situations)

Here's a nice hi-def review, his method is similar to mine. The only difference is in my rinse bucket I splash some rinseless wash solution, or the nanoskin glide into it and I rinse it after every panel.

http://youtu.be/v7n0SDeJJ1A

Links to products:http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-car-care-products.html

#5,823 ·
Your awesome. Thank you.

#5,822 ·
Just ordered it cause of your video.

Reactions: KMdef9
#5,825 · (Edited)
I've heard some people mentioned it about the medium aggressive grade mitt/sponge/towel/pad. It is common for people to polish after decontaminating, but some of us don't. On car with soft paint, I would say that to be true all the time. But they can scratch just by looking at them, lol.

The same has been said about the traditional clay bar as well. The higher the aggressiveness, the higher chance of micromarring. Most of your over-the-counter clay bars are a light to medium grade. Also, when removing more stubborn particles and/or larger ones, it will have a higher risk of marring/scratching.

In Gary Dean's review (on youtube, I didn't link before because he uses a shitty camera) he said no micromarring occurred with the light aggressive wash mitt from Nanoskin. I've used the medium grade on my wife's, which is white and nearly impossible to see micromarring. And I've only used the light mitt on the Jeep, with little to no micromarring. So I have no proof, for either argument, of micromarring with the medium grade wash mitt on our Jeeps. But, I believe micromarring occurs for most people due to their technique and level of contamination, more than the product you're using.

Most of my methods are hybrids of several peoples, which is how everyone's should be. When I use this product I:

1. Wash the car
2. Dry the car
3. Chemically decontaminate the paint (I use iron-x, warning: these products smell horrible)
4. Heavily rinse the chemical used in step 3 off (I rinse the vehicle 3 times)
5. Don't dry it, move right into mechanical decontamination or "claying" (I always make sure I use plenty of lubrication and inspect/clean my mitt often.)
6. Dry each panel as I finish decontaminating it
7a. If polishing, a quick wash&dry of the vehicle again (possibly overkill, but you want nothing on the paint surface when putting a machine to it)
7b. If not polishing, seal the paint with a sealant or wax (since mine is a DD, I use sealants 90% of the time)
8. Stare at your hard work for at least 30min

Another note, I prefer the mitt or sponge as they provide a cushion between your hand and the paint, decreasing and distributing the pressure from your hand.

Reactions: 4u2nvinmtl
#5,826 · (Edited)
Edit: misread post

#5,828 ·
And the most important!

Reactions: Passmg2
#5,829 ·
If you don't plan on polishing or correcting after the clay bar id stay will a light clay bar. Even the medium bars have a tendency to leave micro marring behind. When I detail cars I use a medium but always move to paint correction after that. On my jeep I only use a light bar since the paint has already been corrected.

#5,830 ·
Shouldnt have to clay unless your Polishing/Compounding, unless the paint really needs it, but then I'd recomend Polishing to remove any marring (if the paint needs to be clayed it probably needs to be compounded and polished).

On my sliver SRT8 is hard to see the marring but on black it'd be a differnt story. I like polishing so I always polish after clay'ing.

I just polished and protected my pannels with an assortment of products this weekend, because I'm doing a LSP [wax/sealant/coating] face off over the winter for the detailing forms, autopia.org (to see which products are most durrible).

#5,834 ·
What products are you testing?

Link to thread please!

#5,832 ·
Put in Procharger, kooks headers and mid pipes and QA1 shocks. Thanks to Phil and Jfra for the great help and support on the install!
Still some bugs to work out but I am over all pleased!

#5,839 ·
What happened to drill and tap? lol

#5,844 ·
That is shiny!!!!

Reactions: Jfra
#5,847 ·
Bumper Auto part Automotive exterior

Rebuilt driver side for the third time. I only pid once. Kidwell Motorsports stands by his work, but if it goes again I just think it might be a defective shock. Passenger side is money!!

Am I installing it wrong or something? I extend it on "1" and install. Then I adjust to "7". Pretty straight forward.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: Jfra
#5,853 ·
View attachment 146049

Rebuilt driver side for the third time. I only pid once. Kidwell Motorsports stands by his work, but if it goes again I just think it might be a defective shock. Passenger side is money!!

Am I installing it wrong or something? I extend it on "1" and install. Then I adjust to "7". Pretty straight forward.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Too much weight on driver side......lay off the doughnuts.......:D

#5,854 ·