Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Thanks Ralphy Boy. A $72k Jeep

12K views 84 replies 47 participants last post by  loud8 
#1 · (Edited)
To those of you I doubted, I apologize. $72k full loaded. Ralphie is drunk on his own koolaid. A $150k Viper that is equal to its predecessor and a $72k Jeep that is slower than its predecessor. I honestly didn't think they would have the nerve to Jump the price up again. I really didn't. They are turning SRT into the most profitable brand in the Chrysler line up. All it has done is make me despise them. They've taken everything I loved about the Viper and the SRT8 Jeep, and smashed it. I know I know Mercedes this, BMW that, but that fact is the Jeep is not the bargain it once was. With the huge depreciation hits those cars take they are easily had close to this price point. If you are worried about a $5k on a $70k car, you shouldn't be buying that car. (this is in relation to paying the extra coin for a lightly used Euro performance SUV)

That is all. I had to vent. I went in a few days ago and discussed putting a deposit down. Order is canceled. $65k OTD was the max I could stomach for a Jeep.

#3 ·
Wow, I just read that article online about the pricing. Ridiculous.
I like these Jeeps but they are not worth $72k, noooooooo f'n way.

To everyone that is going to say......"but, but, the X5M costs $100k"......save it please. It's like comparing Cubic Zirconia to Diamonds.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#4 · (Edited)
I don't know what you thought was going to happen...a lower price on a new and better product? The base price of a 2014 isn't much different from the previous models. The invoice on a base SRT is under $60k, so if you didn't have to have one "loaded" and worked a deal, you probably could be $65k OTD. Since you are good at finding used BMW, go get one of those...see what happens when one breaks out of warranty too. They might treat you well at the dealership, but that is because they are going to plunder your bank account for a repair. There are trade offs for everything and the price of cars keeps going up. A base Mustang GT puts you around $35k now.
And about SRT making profits for Chrysler...you think they should lose money as their highest priced product? Did you forget they were bankrupt when the last Jeep came out? Why would you want your most elite brand to make the most money for you? Buddy...you gotta get over it and either pony up or head to the BMW site.

#5 ·
This sucks, no excuses. Everyone that wants can try and justify this price, there is absolutely no justification in my eyes for this.

#8 · (Edited)
72k is that with all options?

*sorry just now I read you wrote fully optioned

Think I need to really come over now and see what this truck is all about for myself. I would have honestly bought a 2014 "over the internet" this time if the price was the same. I even have someone visiting dealers for me since last week.

#9 · (Edited)
I built a 2014 the way i would order it and the way my 2012 was ordered and ill give you the invoice prices.
The way i would order it the invoice was 67,804. MSRP was 71,810
The cost with the same options as my 2012 was is 67,007.
My 2012 invoice was 61,803. MSRP was 65,375
My 2012 cost me 55,000 -25,000 for my 07 = 30,000 + tax & lic and this is the only way i could afford the new WK2 being retired But i still wish i could of got a 2014.

#11 ·
a-kon........i both agree and disagree.... i do feel 72k for a newer and slower jeep is highway robery...i also feel the viper should be priced under 100k.....HOWEVER....to say the viper is "equal" to its predecessor is idiotic.. the new viper is leaps and bound better than the old one... sure the exterior changes may not be everyones cup of tea as generally whn you change the look of a car...the interior is night and day from the old model..to call them equal..well i couldnt disagree more. but yes i would never in a million years pay 150..

#18 · (Edited)
My fault for making a hasty post. Close to equal in terms of performance. The new specs aren't much better. I don't count launch control, without launch control the numbers haven't really improved much.

And a whole new round of the sky is falling and why it isn't worth $70k...with the new addition of comparing it to the 2012.
You got the cash and like it....buy it
You don't got the cash or don't like it....don't buy it
You like it but don't got the cash....wait and buy a used one
There are your options, b itching about the price isn't going to do anything.
I have the cash, and I like it, but I'm a passionate Jeep owner who is pissed off at the brands hijacking. That's me. I can afford a $100k Jeep. I don't want one. I've been loyal to Jeep because of what it is. All I see at SRT is a push for being a "me-too" instead of a stand alone brand that dares to deviate from the pack. Ralph has spent a lot of time drooling over all of the Euro brands. It's obvious he is in love with them.

I purchased my '13 overland loaded for $44k. Please show me $28k worth of improvements. The Jeep does NOT have CTS-V level fit and finish, nor does it have range topping bargain performance like the CTS-V (had).

People cried about the original WK2 SRT8 price. I said from the beginning, with the new 8 speed and info screen, low $60k before TTL is priced right. That's a damn good price for a damn good vehicle. The problem was SRT charged the '12 '13 guys for what the '14 offers, IMHO. Now they're pricing the '14 as if it had 520HP.

The sky is not falling here. I'm just a passionate guy and I feel like every time I find a niche in any market, the company changes directions and screws it up.

Sure some of you would like all negative comments to be kept to one's self, but this is the internet. This is a car forum. This is our best chance at letting SRT or whomever know what we think. They know the positive, they need to hear the negative...occasionally they actually listen

#12 ·
Okay, a 2010 fully loaded stickered for $49,335 (wkjeeps data). Adjust that for inflation and that'd be somewhere around $53,500 in 2014 dollars. So the question is, if the $53.5k for the wk1 was a great deal, what does the 2014 wk2 provide for an additional $18k?

I'll list a few, upgraded electronics, complete bodywork kit (unique SRT hood), +50hp, 8 sp tranny, launch control, paddle shifters, better instrument cluster, 6 caliper front brakes. I'm sure there are other things, but you have to at least give a value of $8k-$12k for all of the items above.

Reactions: Jack_Toepfer
#16 ·
This is exactly why I feel lucky to have snagged one of last WK1's made. Faster, more mod friendly, rare as hell, and almost half the price...

#63 ·
Agreed! Last month of manufacture for WK1s according to wkjeeps.com was March 2010, mine was manufactured in March 2010 :)! Feels good!

#17 ·
And a whole new round of the sky is falling and why it isn't worth $70k...with the new addition of comparing it to the 2012.
You got the cash and like it....buy it
You don't got the cash or don't like it....don't buy it
You like it but don't got the cash....wait and buy a used one
There are your options, b itching about the price isn't going to do anything.

#19 ·
Makes me like my 2012 that much more, along with the fact that I think the 2014 is ruined with the new front grill/headlight design all in one piece and the tail lights look like they are off a new jetta.

I can see the price being 80k in Canada, with a markup to 85-90. Then add 12% tax and 2k gas guzzler tax along with a luxury tax. 100k here we come!

#23 ·
You are absolutely right, Johnny. One could always hope though they remain the same or less. Lol!

Reactions: BOYCHIKS
#24 ·
A Mustang GT is a base car? lol They still sell like 10 V6s for every GT and probably 50GTs for every GT500 (90% of my statistics are made up on the spot)

I was also under the impression that SRT wasn't releasing any performance numbers and they were leaving it to the magazines to figure out. No reason this one won't be faster than all the rest. In stock trim I bet a couple guys see high 12s in good air.

I'd be less upset with the price if the quality and performance and above all else - dealer acknowledgement - followed suit. The dealers still have no idea WTF these things are, they just know they can take the buyer for a ride on the sale, but treat them like a base model customer when it comes to dealership service.

#34 ·
There have already been WK2's that have run 12's stock with good air. I ran last April right alongside another forum member that ran a 12.90 in his 2012 to my tuned 12.80 in his WK2. With a tune he will be at 12.7's with good air IMO.

#26 ·
I was hoping $75-79,000, but after seeing $72,000 optioned out I think you are right. $89,950 I'll say.

#29 ·
Not really sure what everyone is complaining the '13 Vapor & Alpine cracked the $70k mark & with all the improvements made to the '14's I feel they are very well worth the price they are charging. I would also bet money that the '14 will be a tick or two faster.

Base 62995
Rims 595
Sunroof 1595
Single CD 195
HK Audio 1995

Total $67375

Very reasonable & right in line with the '12&13's with all the new added features. That would be how I would build mine & even adding tow package is only another $1k. Still decently priced IMO.

#30 ·
This $hit again :lol: :silly:

If you don't like the WK2 for whatever reason(s) they make a WK1 for you....buy that :bigthumb:

SRT is growing as a brand and there is no stopping that. If they want to compete with the Germans, or who ever else, they need more than just 1/4 mile times. The latest SRTs show this. Performance, luxury, features, technology, customization and options. Maybe they don't best a previous generation on a straight line drag, but compare everything else. The new SRTs are multidimensional, not just speed machines.

#37 ·
Yea, "Growing as a brand" my ass........the only thing growing is the MSRP.
Same cheap plastic and fake suede.
I would never spend $72k for a Jeep, especially when you can still buy a version of the Grand Cherokee that costs half of $70k.
What the hell does the Jeep have that my 300 doesn't have, other than AWD, that justifies a $20k price difference?
The WK1 went 5 model years with very small changes and barely any price increase, why can't that still occur in 2014?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.