Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

How is our stock Jeep SRTs faster than the 300C SRTs??

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  FastJeepSRT8 
#1 ·
I dont get it. I just did a comparison with the specs and it seems that our Jeeps are much heavier than the 300Cs. Jeep is around 4700 lbs and the 300 is around 4100 lbs. They both got the same size engine.

I am confused?:confused: I thought the Jeep was the lightest vehicle out of all the SRT8 models and thats why it is the fastest.

#2 ·
westsidestrangla said:
I dont get it. I just did a comparison with the specs and it seems that our Jeeps are much heavier than the 300Cs. Jeep is around 4700 lbs and the 300 is around 4100 lbs. They both got the same size engine.

I am confused?:confused: I thought the Jeep was the lightest vehicle out of all the SRT8 models and thats why it is the fastest.
AWD....That is all

#4 ·
We have 3.73's in the Jeep. 300's are geared more for the highway. In a race, once we hit about 90-100 the lx's will start to pull away.

#9 ·
barho said:
It's the gearing and the AWD.

Also, we have the same size engine, but the LXs actually put out 5 more HP than us (LXs - 425HP, GC - 420HP)
My understanding is the 5HP difference is due to the exhaust routing on the GC.

#12 ·
TRANSMISSIONS
300C..................................................STR8
5-speed Automatic W5A580.....................5-speed Automatic W5A580

GEAR RATIOS
1st 3.59:1............................................3.59:1
2nd 2.19:1............................................2.19:1
3rd 1.41:1............................................1.41:1
4th 1.00:1............................................1.00:1
5th 0.83:1............................................0.83:1

REVERSE

FINAL DRIVE RATIO

OVERALL TOP GEAR

CURB WEIGHT

#13 ·
This is from the SRT Engineer session on 12-13-2006:

Question:
When comparing average track times for the four different SRT8 vehicles in stock form, the numbers are in many cases remarkably close. Was any attempt made during the design and tuning of the SRT8 vehicles to intentionally keep them somewhat "competitive" in this regard? Or, as luck might have it, did all of these vehicles just "happen" to end up being somewhat similar ET-wise?

SRT Engineer Answer:
"Luck. The Magnum is heavier, but the extra rear weight lets you lauch it harder with brake torque compared to the sedans. The GC SRT8 overcomes its weight disadvantage with gearing and traction."

http://www.300cforums.com/forums/333892-post54.html

#14 ·
If you see the LX cars run at the track (E-town NJ is my home track for reference) you will see stock LX cars have a consistantly higher trap speed which is directly related to their lighter weight. When I went in my 06' Jeep in late sept, all the stock jeeps were running 13.2-13.4 @ 102-103+. We get out of the hole better due to the 373's and AWD as stated above. The stock LX cars were similar to slower ET @ about 105-107. Modded bolt on car were in the 12.8-12.9 range @ or near 110... BTW, I have an 07' now... :)

#15 ·
As Houston already stated our Jeeps are quicker but not faster. I believe the trap speeds just mentioned support that don't they? Which means that weight becomes a factor for the Jeep and the lighter SRT cars begin to make up lost ground with higher speeds. So if you kept going beyond the 1/4 the cars would start to walk on the Jeep. At least that's how I've always understood it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.