Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Is it the rear end or tranny?

3K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  2quic4u 
#1 ·
I am in gear moving forward and hit the breaks, then i hear/feel a thump, could this be the rear end or tranny and or the t/c?
Sounds like its in the back?
Thanks for any help..

#5 ·
Have you checked the front diff bushing? Just had mine replaced and my thump is gone. Mine was when I accelerated hard and hit the brakes hard or let off the gas quick. Started when I was racing on a road course and steadily got worse to daily driving. $400 to the dealer and I can beat on the Jeep without thinking the drive train is about to fall out.

Reactions: jumpback
#6 ·
I need some more info guys....
What has caused that is a number of things, like the large spider pin in the rear diff wallowing out the carrier.
It will cause a pretty decent clunk.
Let me know more specifics, unfortunately, I can't monitor this site every day do to trying to keep up with business.:eek:
Bill

#7 ·
mine comes and goes, honestly iv never been too worried about it as nothing has failed and its done it since iv had it (37k miles now at 72k), changed the transfer case oil, both diffs, and tranny at 60k. I didn't have any metal shaving come out of anything when the oil drained. couldn't tell you what it is or how to fix it, every car has its bugs this might be one for ours. what year is your jeep? mine is an 07

#11 ·
Does it do it at any certain time? Our trucks evidently do a self-check on the tranny after startup, been verified by SRT engineers, you will feel a clunk usually upon your 1st or 2nd round of accelerating. Check this:

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6428

#13 ·
i get a clunking sound when going from reverse to drive and vice versa. i know there is a tsb out about this for the lx srt8s, but i dont think it applies to the cherokee. they suggest putting loctite on the bolt threads, i have tried this and have had my rear driveshaft replaced. wasnt too bad but now the sound has returned worse. im starting to think valve body? ill have to post a video up. it also clunks at certain times when i hit the gas, like if im slowing down and i tap the gas, it clunks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.