Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Reliability of srt8 particularly the trans?

3K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  SPEEDDEMON 
#1 ·
Hi I'm looking at spending around 25k on a srt8 and it would probably be a 2007. I looked into the trailblazer ss but I was told that the transmission was a weak point. I need to drive 100 miles to school and back when I get on break/off of break. Gonna be driving on 30 miles a week or so when I'm on campus. Needs to be good in the snow and gas mpg is not a concern but reliability is. Parents would rather get me something new but I want something fast plus I'm gonna be working so if anything goes hopefully its not serious and I gotta tell them that I won't beat the piss out of it. Was just wondering what the most common problems are. I found some lower mileage srt8s in the 20k range.

Gonna be checking this one out 28k miles for 25k seems like a steal to me if everything is mechanically sound.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...field=PRICE&certifiedOnly=false&&aff=national

See less See more
#2 ·
If the maintainence is regular, stock Jeeps are very reliable. Even mildly modified mine has been great. If you find a low mile example with good maintenance records. It should last a long time. If you drive it hard then more frequent fluid changes. The tranny is pretty strong unless you start adding power.

#3 ·
You couldn't afford to keep up with the maintenance on these rigs or if it even has a problem. Between gas, oil changes, $50 a quart for your TC fluid, and diff oil. This isn't a rig for a college kid unless your parents are forking the bill for repairs and maintenance.

Get yourself something reliable. Be smart.

#4 · (Edited)
Hmm yes I can have money saved up + internship will pay $10-$12 an hour and my regular job is $9 an hour so I'll have 2 jobs one on campus so I won't have to waste gas and internship is with a buddy of mine so we'll use his little fuel efficient civic to get around. When I use all my money on booze and maintenance it will be enough and if not parents will help. I need an srt8 lol. I'm still undecided but I will look into getting a low mileage srt8 if I do get one and one with an existing warrenty I know a trailblazer ss I looked at had 100k warrenty which is pretty good I just don't like that their trans are weak even in stock form because I found nice ss with 45k miles for only 15k.

I don't really drive a lot so I won't be doing too much maintenance besides standard oil changes and stuff. I drove my current car 2007 Nissan Versa for close to 5 years and have only put 10k miles on it in that time period although I did use parents cars a lot of the time as well. I don't do a lot of driving.

But I will maybe have to settle for something more reliable and then get an srt8 after I graduate but it would be hella nice to have one right now!

#5 ·
Stock they are pretty reliable. Before I went nuts she never saw a garage outside of the regular fluid changes. Like anything else if you keep on top of the maintenance she'll be good to you. The tranny is not an issue stock. I know some guys putting some pretty impressive power to the stock tranny and there's are still holding. If you don't go nuts with mods you'll be just fine. Gas guzzler is a fair statement lol.

#6 ·
These things suck in the snow. Unless your willing to fork over approx another 1k for a winter setup, the stock goodyears make the car worthless in the snow.

I dug out my driveway and moved the jeep to the semi-plowed street to get another car out and it got stuck.

Reactions: Tim H Calgary
#7 ·
OP - Here is what I pay just to keep my rig going - I will list my yearly expenses then divide by 12 to show how much you can expect to spend. Keep in mind I live in vancouver BC so pricing may vary slightly on fuel and fluids. - based on driving 12 thousand miles/year.

Fuel - $8,000
Oil/filters - $500
Tires - $500 ( based on a set lasting 2-3 years )
Misc upkeep - $500
Insurance - $2,500
Total - $12,000

Monthly running costs ( baring no mechanical failures ) - ~$1,000.00

Just a good thing to keep in mind.

#8 ·
Fuel and insurance are killing you on the west coast. It definitely isn't "cheap" to run for sure.

#18 · (Edited)
I absolutely disagree, I put many snow miles on both an 08 Srt8 and 04 sti. There is no way in heck the jeep holds a candle to the sti, and I think mainly its because the jeep stays in 2wd until slippage occurs(at least thats what it seemed like).Could be wrong,someone feel free to elaborate :) Honestly the jeep did better with the trac control off but still nothing like the sti, but once again I can't agree more good snow tires make a HUGE difference.

#11 ·
These things are great in inclement weather. While the AWD system isn't as great as some of the newer ones like what's in my harley F150, or what's in newer toyotas & volkswagens..but it's functional in all it's brutish ways. It definitely made me feel confident about the vehicle in some icy/snowy weather we got a few years back, and I'm running Vredestein summer tires. It wasn't excellent, but even on the slick tires it was great as long as i minded my road manners.
Reliability, in my eyes, isn't something I would look to a chrysler/jeep/dodge for, at least not in this day and age. Many people have had great luck with theirs, some have had awful luck with theirs. I'm not sure what to tell you on this, my vehicle is unbelievably reliable now. But this is after having replaced the rear end, driveshaft, trans...pretty much the whole driveline. Mine gave me problems since the very week I bought it(brand new)and after replacing it all, I'm very happy. My previous 06 jeep limited, brand new, blew out the rear end on it aswell. I've not had much luck with the CJD products.

#12 · (Edited)
Needs to be good in the snow...
A 5000 pound brick with 420hp, wide tires, and open diffs is not gonna be "good in the snow".

...gas mpg is not a concern but reliability is.
If reliability is a concern, have a look at the consumer reports list of most reliable car manufacturers: http://mashable.com/2012/11/03/consumer-reports-top-10-cars/

See Jeep / Chrysler anywhere on that list?

Parents would rather get me something new but I want something fast
New cars typically have less reliability issues than used cars. And a warranty to boot.

I found some lower mileage srt8s in the 20k range.

Gonna be checking this one out 28k miles for 25k seems like a steal to me if everything is mechanically sound.
You get what you pay for: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showpost.php?p=919442&postcount=10

It comes down to this: Your parents want what's smart. You want what's fast. This truck ain't awful reliable, or cheap to own, or great in the snow. It's none of those things. It's the opposite of practical. Not saying that there's anything wrong with wanting a fast, badass truck. Just don't kid yourself about why it is that you want it.

#13 ·
I can only imagine what insurance would be like for you. Lets not forget about speeding tickets to account for in budgeting. You would be kidding yourself to think you're not going to get pulled over in a jeep like this.

#17 ·
It will be under my parents name so it won't be too expensive. Its possible not to get pulled over my friend owned a Subaru STI and hasn't gotten pulled over for anything besides tinted windows and he speeds a lot but has a radar. I just won't get an "arrest me red" color for the jeep lol so it won't stand out. Still gonna look and test drive might keep the Nissan till I graduate save more money then get an srt8.

#15 ·
Actually depending on insurance company our rigs are put in the same bracket as regular engined jeeps. I pay the same as my brother with the 5.7 and my mom with the 3.7

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#19 ·
Keep up on maintenance and the Jeep is very reliable stock or with bolt on mods. I had 70,000 miles without issue.

I think the Jeep did well in snow, not the best, but it could handle it. I drove through snowy mountain passes on the stock Goodyears. Just turn traction control off to enable the front.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#21 ·
The stock transmission should be fine on a stock or lightly modded SRT8 as long as the maintenance is kept up and the tranny is properly warmed up before hammering it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.