Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Transmission Fluid Leak

29K views 50 replies 38 participants last post by  Srt07 
#1 ·
#1 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM
spookyrp
Junior Member Join Date: May 2007

Transmission fluid leak.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here I go again....... my GCSRT8 is 4 months old. She has around 1900 miles and a week ago after returning from a business trip leaving my rig parked in the garage for a couple days, I found her with a huge "more than a quarter" red oil leak. Looking under the car I noticed it was a transmission oil leak. First thing next day, took the car to the car dealer and under the warranty they repaired the car stating it was an O ring problem very common with all Mercedes cars..... took the car back home and she was left again a couple days parked in the garage due to another business trip. Returning back home and for my surprise there it was......... an oil leak again.... This is my second problem with the car........ first one was the tires and now this....... want to know if anyone had this problem and what was the solution. I am very disappointed with the quality of the car....... I thought that the quality issue was a thing of the past but I seem to be wrong, Daimler and Chrysler group merge did not do much for the Jeep quality issue....... Hope to change my mind in the future.... :mad:

See less See more
#2 ·
same tranny problem fixed today

Sorry to hear you have had this problem so soon.
Today I had the same O-ring problem fixed our SRT8 at 9 months and 22 000 kms old/young I hope this isn't a recurring problem and hope they have fixed it as I will be watching for further leaks.

#3 ·
spookyrp said:
#1 06-17-2007, 03:04 PM
spookyrp
Junior Member Join Date: May 2007

Transmission fluid leak.......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here I go again....... my GCSRT8 is 4 months old. She has around 1900 miles and a week ago after returning from a business trip leaving my rig parked in the garage for a couple days, I found her with a huge "more than a quarter" red oil leak. Looking under the car I noticed it was a transmission oil leak. First thing next day, took the car to the car dealer and under the warranty they repaired the car stating it was an O ring problem very common with all Mercedes cars..... took the car back home and she was left again a couple days parked in the garage due to another business trip. Returning back home and for my surprise there it was......... an oil leak again.... This is my second problem with the car........ first one was the tires and now this....... want to know if anyone had this problem and what was the solution. I am very disappointed with the quality of the car....... I thought that the quality issue was a thing of the past but I seem to be wrong, Daimler and Chrysler group merge did not do much for the Jeep quality issue....... Hope to change my mind in the future.... :mad:
I believe most of us have had the original leak.
I have never heard of it coming back.
Best of luck with the leak...let us know.
Bill

#8 ·
There is an upgraded part for the repair. It has black O-rings instead of the original red O-rings. If they replace it with the original part, it will leak again. I just had it done and the tech showed me the original part and the replacement. It's a plastic sleeve with two O-rings on it.

Khach

#9 ·
Khachi said:
There is an upgraded part for the repair. It has black O-rings instead of the original red O-rings. If they replace it with the original part, it will leak again. I just had it done and the tech showed me the original part and the replacement. It's a plastic sleeve with two O-rings on it.

Khach
Great info!
Hope we all have the upgrade components now..Yah right..:mad:
Bill

#12 ·
Went to my dealer yesterday with the trans leak. New fix--they are now putting the whole assembly in instead of just the o-rings-took about an hour. I was real pleased with the work. I find out that the guys that work on these SRT8 like them and are willing to talk to us owners.I will pay them back with some food today because Im sure that I will be back in in the future.

#21 ·
Just call the parts dept there first, give them this Part# 68021352AA it's the new Adapter Plug that comes with the updated Black O Ring, I'm glad I did as mine did not have it in stock and the Jeep would have set there for a day, just a heads up. If they have one have them put your name on it or set it to the side

#24 ·
has anyone changed this part themselves?

the dealerships around here are pretty hard to work with. none of them have available loaner cars and they want my GC for the day.

what type of transmission fluid does our GC use? anyway i can purchase a dip stick for the transmission? this has got to be the first vehicle i've bought that doesn't come with a dip stick for checking transmission fluid levels.

#25 ·
Is this just a problem with the 06-07's? Anybody with an 08 have this happen?

#26 ·
Transmission fluid is plain ol Mopar ATF+4, Repair should only take 20-30 minutes so try and schedule it early or ask if you can be the first one they work on that morning if the SRT Tech can get right on it. I think the 08's have the newer part already on it that the 06,07 guys are having replaced.

#27 ·
well, went to the dealership to have the part replaced...

found out that the mechanic can't get the connector out, so it looks like my 06 is getting a new valve body.

20-30 minutes turned into an overnight affair.

:(

wow

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.