Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Cam Swap Help !!! Can I Do It ??

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  1_big_fan 
#1 ·
Ive been a GM guy pretty much most of my life so when I purchased my Jeep it shocked a few peeps but after they were givin a ride and it busted a few of them at the track the Jeep has def earned some respect ... This past week a few buddies along with myself did a cam swap on a Trans AM and its givin me an itch to do a little operation on the Jeep !! I guess the question is .. How much similarity is there between Hemi and a LS block ?? Is this out of my skill level ?? Thanks for the help guys !! :)

#2 ·
It isn't too difficult. I've swapped a few cams on the 6.1. However, it's a slippery slope cause it you're doing a cam, you might as well do the heads at the same time AND if you ever want headers, the best time to install them is when the heads are off. LOL

#4 ·
I keep getting told that you can change the cam without removing the heads. Is this correcy?
Already told you many people have done it. I've done it with the cam that you now own...

#7 ·
I am going to be tackeling this myself in a week or so! I don't have the money to do heads or headers either. you shouldn't be afraid to go ahead and do it yourself if you did an LS1. Thats what I have for exsperince. I figure with that exsperince and the help from our great board members there's no reason to be afraid. :D

#8 ·
What cam are you installing?

#11 ·
Hey guys once again thanks for the good advice !!! Ill def be tackling a cam in the near future ... This has def become a site I can count on for good intel, laughs and some good peeps as welll !! Ill keep you all updated but this is def gonna be a shade tree mechanic cam swap !! Thanks again guys !! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.