Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Rear D44a Locker SRT8

8K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  Jeepmansoffroad 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure if this is the right place or not or if this info has already been found however when I came here looking for rear Locker Options I only Found that Wavetrac was the only Option...

Well I just Found this lunch box Locker available for the SRT8 Rear D44 and Cheap too...
http://lokka.com/site/buy/item/7098/CA

If it has already been known I apologize and if not then Great news to anyone that wants a Cheap Locker...

I have Run Lunch box Lockers in My Jeeps Before and they Work Great But I haven't used this brand as of yet but for the price I will be giving it a try...

Edit: This will not work with the WK D44 because we are 31 spline and this is the standard 30 spline Lunch box locker...

#2 ·
Not sure if this is the right place or not or if this info has already been found however when I came here looking for rear Locker Options I only Found that Wavetrac was the only Option...

Well I just Found this lunch box Locker available for the SRT8 Rear D44 and Cheap too...
http://lokka.com/site/buy/item/7098/CA

If it has already been known I apologize and if not then Great news to anyone that wants a Cheap Locker...

I have Run Lunch box Lockers in My Jeeps Before and they Work Great But I haven't used this brand as of yet but for the price I will be giving it a try...
Good find but I know with this style locker it will make a ratcheting sound going around corners and is best for offroad use only...

#3 ·
Yes you are correct It is a ratcheting type and Not just for Offroad use although they always say "for offroad use only" :) ...

I have used Richmonds Lockright in My CJ7 as well as a Spartan in My MJ Comanche and It was perfectly fine for the street use just never had one behind anything with any real HP yet...

Typically these lunch box lockers can take a fair bit or abuse but you most likely will hear the ratcheting and sometimes big bangs out of the rear differential when the locker releases after being stuck locked so definitely not for everyone that's for sure...

I will be installing this into my Jeep MJ Comanche that I have custom installed an 08 SRT8 rear axle into and I am just in the middle of finishing building my 4.0L stroked to 4.7L and after break in I will work on my custom supercharger for it and will see if it can take the HP, mind you it wont be quite as much power as the Stock SRT8 you guys have here as I will only be around 425HP at the crank...

However I am sure it is a good option for those that don't have or don't want to spend the $1300+ for that Nice Carrier locker from Wavetrac which I nearly ordered till I found this lunchbox locker so I just wanted to let anyone know that this is a Cheap option at $250US shipped to your door or at least that's what the website states, I will order mine sometime next week...

#4 · (Edited)
Yes you are correct It is a ratcheting type and Not just for Offroad use although they always say "for offroad use only" :) ...

I have used Richmonds Lockright in My CJ7 as well as a Spartan in My MJ Comanche and It was perfectly fine for the street use just never had one behind anything with any real HP yet...

Typically these lunch box lockers can take a fair bit or abuse but you most likely will hear the ratcheting and sometimes big bangs out of the rear differential when the locker releases after being stuck locked so definitely not for everyone that's for sure...

I will be installing this into my Jeep MJ Comanche that I have custom installed an 08 SRT8 rear axle into and I am just in the middle of finishing building my 4.0L stroked to 4.7L and after break in I will work on my custom supercharger for it and will see if it can take the HP, mind you it wont be quite as much power as the Stock SRT8 you guys have here as I will only be around 425HP at the crank...

However I am sure it is a good option for those that don't have or don't want to spend the $1300+ for that Nice Carrier locker from Wavetrac which I nearly ordered till I found this lunchbox locker so I just wanted to let anyone know that this is a Cheap option at $250US shipped to your door or at least that's what the website states, I will order mine sometime next week...
A wavetrac cost what it does because it has quality components and people still have blown those up. I can't imagine the proposed locker holding up to the abuse that our jeeps can put through it on the asphalt. Plus who wants to hear ratcheting every time you turn with an occasional bang....

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
Interesting and I am not knocking this locker but I am sure the price is more based on the fact that the market is small and no one else is making anything...

As with anything thou I have seen guys Break D60's with 35 spline shafts but that doesn't mean everyone that has one in stock or not will break them as some people are just harder on things then others...

Well for me it will do just fine as I wont quite have the HP you guys have, for now anyways as this is just my first of my planned stroker builds...

#6 ·
Paramount Performance sells a "Tru-Trac" that will lock the rear diff.

It is not a selective locker like an "e-locker" or an "air-locker" but it locks when you need it too and it disengages when you want it to without any side effects.

Paramounts rear will lock up instantly when one tires breaks traction.

For daily driving in my opinion a rear that is locked most of the time is annoying and loud.

#7 ·
I too ran this type of locker in my lifted Toyota & Broncos. Yea they make a ratchet noise that I didn't mind for a off road truck..but I'd hate to have to hear this in my srt ..plus a few time it would feel like its just riding half way between on or off on the side gears & when you go to step on the gas a LOUD bang sound from the rear.pretty embarrassing.

#8 · (Edited)
I am very familiar with axle lockers, just till recently the only choice
available was the Wavetrac for the SRT8 D44 which I like but for me I
don't need it, and this new lunch box will be fine for me and I only
mentioned it as I read how many people said the Wavetrac it's to
expensive so it's a very cheap option that gets you a locker.

Looks like more options coming available every day.

Eaton has the E-locker available as well. The more options
the better. I don't know why Jeep didn't offer the factory E-locker
for the D44 like it did for the 8.25.

#12 ·
I run the Aussie locker in the D44al in my 408 SC 1998 ZJ with no problems so far at the track ( I did put in Atlas Alloy rear axles too ) I am at the mid 11's in 1/4 with it.

#15 · (Edited)
OK well I ordered the Lokka and it will not work for Us...

I have pulled apart my 2008 SRT8 Rear D44 and it is in Fact 31 Spline as I had seen in a previous thread and this Lokka Locker is 30 Spline and they were very confident before I ordered it that it was the correct Locker for the 08 SRT8 D44 but now that I have opened up my axle I have been able to prove that its not going to work unless they can make a SRT8 31 Spline D44 locker...

I guess I will have to be waiting till someone else starts making stuff or break down and spend the Stupid amount of money for the Wavetrac...

I am a little disappointed as I was expecting to have the Axle Locked before I get my New Stroker engine installed but it looks like the one wheel peel for me it is...

Here is a few Pics of my Axle apart...

#19 ·
That's an Idea but not sure what Custom Shafts would be worth if that locker fit the housing...

I would suspect it would cost the same by the time its done as it would be to just buy the Wavetrac Locker...

If I had a spare SRT8 D44 and that Nissan Locker sitting in my shop Id give it a try but I wouldn't likely go buy everything to experiment with...

#20 ·
That's an Idea but not sure what Custom Shafts would be worth if that locker fit the housing...

I would suspect it would cost the same by the time its done as it would be to just buy the Wavetrac Locker...

If I had a spare SRT8 D44 and that Nissan Locker sitting in my shop Id give it a try but I wouldn't likely go buy everything to experiment with...

The price would be about the same cost of a wavetrac but you would also have stronger axles with the Nissan kit.

#26 · (Edited)
OK I ordered it and it showed up this morning so I installed it...

I have only Driven the Jeep a few minutes on the road but already feel a greater pull off the light and look forward to a bit more testing on the way home tonight...

Overall It does what it does and is far better then an open diff and since the only other option is Wavetrac and I can not justify that kinda money right now so this will be just fine...

#29 · (Edited)
Ok I was intrigued by this and did research. This is not a true limited slip with any type of locking mechanism. All that it does is increase the preload thus potentially limiting the possibility for one side to free wheel. Look up phantom grip and it's the same design with a lot more info.

Edit - Now I understand the design. Basically those metal blocks are pushing on the face of the spider gears providing preload and increasing torque bias. The problem is when that torque bias is over come say in a turn that means metal on metal grinding. No thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.