Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Mopar TCM and Predator/Trinity Facts.

16K views 46 replies 20 participants last post by  cmn1 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok since many of you are using this combo and there is a lot of misleading information on this subject i would like to clear it out for you guys using this.(I copied this from my post on another forum)
*The only times you can hose (set back to stock) a mopar tcm are under the following conditions.
1/ You let the Predator/Trinity take a backup with the stock tcm in and restored the backup or restore quick adjusts with the Predator/Trinity.
2/You do a "force re-learn variant" procedure, this is rather uncommon but it will set it back to stock settings regardless if you took a backup with the stock tcm or mtcm installed.

So to properly use an Mopar tcm in your vehicle with the Predator/Trinity please follow the basic guidelines.
*With stock tcm still installed, restore your original backup.
*Install mopar tcm
*let the Predator/Trinity take a new backup and use as normal.
NOTE: Unless your MTCM has been preconfigured from vendor you WILL need to set your gear ratio to 3.73 and the apply the raised shift points and you are good to go.

Follow these steps and you will be fine and never hose your mtcm.

I think the biggest mistake people have been doing is to not restore their original backup before installing the mtcm and thus allowing the Predator to read the new tcm string settings that are in the mopar tcm.

Just an FYI to clear the air....

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks Johan just did the new crom update and installed the tcm last night and was going to ask about loading the original backup with the mopar tcm still installed because I remember Wade having issues after loading his stock tune back in with his stock tcm. I did it just like you posted so you answered my question thanks!

#3 ·
Thanks for the info my friend!

#4 ·
Is that CROM been made public yet?

#5 ·
Email Johan or mike and they will send it to you, if I remember reading that correctly.

#7 ·
Ok since many of you are using this combo and there is a lot of misleading information on this subject i would like to clear it out for you guys using this.(I copied this from my post on another forum)
*The only times you can hose (set back to stock) a mopar tcm are under the following conditions.
1/ You let the Predator take a backup with the stock tcm in and restored the backup or restore quick adjusts with the Predator.
2/You do a "force re-learn variant" procedure, this is rather uncommon but it will set it back to stock settings regardless if you took a backup with the stock tcm or mtcm installed.

So to properly use an Mopar tcm in your vehicle with the predator please follow the basic guidelines.
*With stock tcm still installed, restore your original backup.
*Install mopar tcm
*let the predator take a new backup and use as normal.
NOTE: Unless your MTCM has been preconfigured from vendor you WILL need to set your gear ratio to 3.73 and the apply the raised shift points and you are good to go.

Follow these steps and you will be fine and never hose your mtcm.

I think the biggest mistake people have been doing is to not restore their original backup before installing the mtcm and thus allowing the Predator to read the new tcm string settings that are in the mopar tcm.

Just an FYI to clear the air....

same goes with the trinity as well?

1)return stock tune
2)install mopartcm
3)reload the toon regularly used
4)adjust shift points in quick adjjusts
5)drive?

what about revisions or adjustments thereafter?? same as usual?

#9 ·
Read the title of the thread, don't even have to search since Johan put Predator/Trinity in the subject, so scroll up and read.
I believe he also addresses your second question about revisions in his post. I suggest a good, thorough re-reading of the post.
Thanks!

#8 ·
Thanks for the update Johan.

#10 ·
Since I "read" the post I noticed he only mentioned the predator in the actual post. That's y I ask. Cause he says pred/trinity in the thread but just pred in what he wrote. That's all. Didn't know if they operate te same.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#13 ·
What Johan said is 100% right. I was thinking the other day about how I bricked mine. It popped into my head. One thing you guys NEED to do is..... suck the factory backup out of the Trinity/Pred.

What I did was, when I loaded a new tune into my Trinity, I used a stock backup with the stock TCM in it vs. my MTCM backup. Make aure that if you guys load a revision into your Pred/Trinity that's you have the MTCM factory tune backup on your computer!!!! If not, you will have the same issues I did and kiss that MTCM possibly good bye. I still have mine still in my garage and haven't done anything with it but I know it shifts by itself in autostick.

Reactions: A.V.GCSRT8
#17 ·
The backup file used will have no affect on the mtcm settings, it does not contain any information about tcm or the variant string used between both.
The programmer is the one that contains that information, hence i say you must let it take a backup with the mtcm installed.

#21 ·
What about if you were to return it to stock with the mtcm back up file in the Pred/Trinity? I guess I'm just trying to figure out what exactly happens to the mtcm when the truck is put back to stock. Has anyone done it with the mtcm backup in the Pred/Trinity? I know most people do a revision or so and probably put their stock tune back in it instead of the mtcm backup like I did. Just thinking out loud.

#22 · (Edited)
1)Are the shifts suppose to feel sloppy at WOT when u first put these things in? Just got her up 2 135mph and each shift felt very strange??
2) how do u know when u brick a mtcm?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#32 ·
I'm a newbie and trying to search but did not find explanation I though TCM stood for transfer case motor. What is MTCM & PTCM abbreviations for?

#33 ·
TCM = Transmission Control Module

Make sure you use the Google custom search square in the middle of the page, don't use the search header pulldown.

Reactions: 1 person
#34 ·
Thanks guys for schooling a newbie, still waiting for my jeep to be fixed at dealership and any info is greatly appreciated

#36 ·
So, I got my PTCM and my latest tune. I plan on installing them this weekend if time allows. I need to put this in my own words because I’m slower than the average village idiot.

I’m going to do the following:
1. Reset the PCM back to stock. Also known as - Restoring the “Original Backup”.
2. Unplug the Trinity.
3. At this time (or anytime), I could go to my laptop and move that original backup to a folder called “Stock TCM original backup” for safe keeping.
4. Remove stock TCM and install PTCM.
5. Plug in the Trinity and proceed as if it’s tuning the vehicle the first time. It will save a new “Original Backup” which I will now use with all my tunes.
6. Load custom tune to PCM using new “Original Backup”.
7. Copy new “Original Backup” to lap top. Maybe put it in its own folder called “PTCM original backup” in order to differentiate it from the other.

Anyone see anything wrong with what I’m about to do?
Does my tuner need a copy of the new “Original Backup” for any reason?

#38 ·
I didn't have to set my gear ratio to 3.73 when I switched, you should be fine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.