Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Road magnet bottoming out

7K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  LA_srt8_driver 
#1 ·
Got my road magnets installed yesterday. Love them: great look, great drive. All good, except that it bottoms out on the passenger front when I go over potholes. From what I've been reading, this isn't the norm. Any advice? I'll go back to my installer soon, would live to be armed with some insight.

#2 ·
I have read on the manuel that you must cut the front bumpstop about 1 inch

#4 ·
sooo you're tellin me- those who are running 3/4" taller front tires could probably not rub if they keep the bump-stops stock :)

#6 ·
So talked to the installers, and they DID cut an inch off the bumpstops. Road Magnet isn't picking up the phone. It's not bad bottoming out (had none on my commute this AM), but I have to solve this.

Other than talking to Road Magnet, any other ideas out there? I got the RM's because there were zero bottom out reports.

#9 ·
Not trying to be smart here, but have you taken a look at the front Bump stops to make sure the shop cut them? I would take a look, u should be able to see that they were cut. I don't trust that anyone does what they say anymore, unless it's family; Then you know you are getting screwed..:D

Take a pic and post it up so we can see the clearance and we'll match them up to what we have..

#7 ·
I recently bottomed out on the front passenger side, but I was speeding pretty good over a set of bad railroad tracks. Never had any problems with potholes though.

#8 ·
it is very important to change the rear bumpstops when you install the roadmagnet springs

I did not in the beginning and the ride was very bouncy

#11 ·
Was Road Magnet supposed to supply new bump stops for rear AND front? I only got rear in my kit. And they're not picking up their phone...

The dude who got me the springs (he resells for them) was told I should have used the supplied bumpstops, not the stockers.

So confused...

#12 ·
Only rears were supplied with mine, the fronts were resued per the instructions.

I'll bet you will find the shop didn't cut them, or maybe not enough.. I am pretty sure you can jack up the frame and pull the bump stop out and cut it, if the shop didn't do it for you.

#13 · (Edited)
Any idea what the measurements are of your bump stops with them cut?

#15 ·
Finally got round to taking some pics. Looks like the bumpstops were cut. Enough, I don't know.

What i am seeing is that the control arms are at a sharp angle, and have seem to hit the top of the wheel well. Maybe that's what I'm hearing.

Am I the only on with this problem? Did I get a bad set from Road Magnet? Were they installed wrong? Did I get the incorrect set?

Help please - driving on the freeway and hitting even a minor ridge in the road is causing this to slam.

Auto part Pipe Wire Fuel line

Blue Coil spring Suspension Auto part Suspension part

Coil spring Blue Suspension part Suspension Auto part

#17 ·
Yes they're on there. Just went and looked mine over and they look exactly like yours...same amount cut off the BS. What I don't have is that little mark from where your control arm hit the fender well. My control arm looks like yours too as far as the angle at the joint.

Today coming to work Caltrans had ground down some freeway/bridge approaches to where the bump was basically a 3 inch vertical curb....I didn't see it until it was too late and the front end did hit bottom there...it hit so hard I figured it bent my rims...no damage and no mark from the control arm. Other than that they haven't bottomed out.

Did you take before and after height measurements by chance?

#18 ·
Yeah, that upper arm looks way off. I wonder if they tightened the nut enough. If i remember, I had to pull down on the arm to get the nut tightened all the way, then it spins.

If you have access to a jack and stand, you can jack up the Jeep, take the tire off and try to re-tighten the nut.

How much of the threads are showing?

My Jeep is still at the dealer, they are ripping apart/replacing the rear internals. I wish i could compare mine to yours.

#19 ·
Can someone look at these pics - especially at the amount of thread showing. Do you think the control arms are put back right?

Light Automotive lighting Lighting Darkness Photography

Light Lighting Water Darkness Space

The sound I'm getting when bottoming out is not a sift rubber on metal sound. It's jarring metal on metal. I'm suspecting it's the control arms hitting the wheel well.

Does no one else have this? Could it be the installer didn't thread the bolt far enough?

#21 ·
The bottoming out problem cannot be fixed, only lessened by modding the bumpstops. Suspension travel is the issue. The upper control arms are at that angle becasue of the drop. Relocating the control arms can correct the angle, but will only allow for minimal, if any, additional travel.

#25 ·
yeah, the springs. i sent my pics to Mike at BWoody <admin edit> and the noticed they were upside down. we went back, flipped them and its a totally new ride.

I didn't realize the front ones could be installed upside down. Here's the RM install instructions.

Attachments

#26 ·
The install says: install flat spot on spring on the top hat side so that the flat spot on the spring is facing upwards.

On the pics I posted, it seems like there is no flat spot facing upwards. Can someone take a close up pic of their spring? Maybe there is such a thing as upside down.

Also - running vredesteins. Shouldn't be an issue, but thought I'd mention it in case someone thinks this has anything to do with this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.