Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

NO MORE SQUEAKY BRAKES!!!! ty Zeckhausen

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  k4u2luz2 
#1 ·
So today my Centric Posi-Quiet break pads from Zeckhausen.com came in. My dad and I installed them tonight, along with the Mopar Cabin air filter, and my squeaky nightmare is GONE!!! I immediatly took it out for the bed-in cycle as explained on his website. Only twice during that cycle, when the breaks were very hot, did I hear any kind of squeak-like-tone. My guess it was some kind of resonance while the pads were resurfacing the rotors, which are already scoured a bit with only 800 miles on it.

After resuming normal driving, my SRT8 was completely squeak free. The pedal does not feel quite as stiff as it did with the stock pads, but performance is the same if not better when you lay into it. That bed-in cycle was super fun! :D :D :D

Guys, seriously buy these pads if you are having dust/squeak problems.

#2 ·
Maybe a warranty solution, cheaper? What about rotor wear? The engs warned about changing the factory ones at the 06 SRT Nats. at Topeka! I'll wait and mine never makes any noise so my stock ones aren't coming off yet? Dust might also be metal particles from the rotors? Your choice though. Gene

#3 ·

OK?

Obviously, a warrenty solution is cheaper. However, even warrenty work still results in scoured rotors with junk stock pads.

The warning applies to using too aggresive of a pad, which would obviously eat away the stock rotor. These pads are perfect OE replacement semi-metallic.

Obviously, the dust is some form of a metallic particle. I've left my electron microscope at work, so my guess is it's a combination of pad material and rotor material.

#5 ·
Warranty still applies to me. (4500 miles now) Plus I bought the extended warranty, $2300, and paid over sticker. Pads aren't my worry, brake dust can be cleaned, brake fluid boils while road racing and loss of pedal pressure results. I'll install racing brake fluid, stainless steel braided brake hoses, then some road racing! Maybe "Brembo" pads designed exactly to fit their brake system, later? Another View Only. Gene

#6 ·
SRTJeep said:
I'll install racing brake fluid, stainless steel braided brake hoses, then some road racing! Maybe "Brembo" pads designed exactly to fit their brake system, later? Another View Only. Gene
Brembo doesn't make brake pads. For their OE applications, they outsource the pad manufacturing to various major manufacturers. For example, the factory SRT8 pads are manufactured by Jurid. If you peel off the black composite shim (stamped with the Brembo logo), you will find "JURID" stamped into the steel backing plate. For the Ferrari and Lamborghini applications, the pad manufacturer is Ferodo.

The aftermarket has not yet stepped up to the plate to make racing pads for the front calipers of the SRT8. It's a new shape and there are only a handful of street pads available from the aftermarket so far, such as Centric Posi-Quiet, C-Tek, Rotex Gold, and EBC. Hopefully, there will be some good race friction from Hawk, Raybestos, Ferodo, or Performance Friction in 2007. In the meantime, the best pads you can use for the SRT8 on the track are the factory pads. None of the low-dust aftermarket pads should be taken to the track. Fortunately, swapping pads is easier on the SRT8 than on any other car out there.

The rear SRT8 calipers use the same pad shape as the Lotus, Jaguar, Volvo S60R/V70R, and a bunch of other application. So you have your pick of almost any kind of race friction for the rear calipers. But it doesn't do you any good if there's nothing to fit the front.

For your reference, when shopping for pads, the FMSI number for the front is D1149 and for the rear is D1053. You can also use FMSI D592 for the rear calipers, the only difference being the lack of metal squeal sensors in the D592 shape.

I've driven all four SRT8 platforms at the track. The 300C, Magnum, and Charger all have lots of flex in their front wheel bearings, resulting in pad knock-back. (See: stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_knockback.shtml for technical details.) Take a few S-turns without touching the brakes and the next time you hit the brakes, the pedal goes almost to the floor. You need to tap the brake pedal with your left foot before reaching the braking zone. The Jeep SRT8, on the other hand, has very strong bearings and there isn't a hint of knock-back. The only reason you'll experience a soft brake pedal at the track in a Jeep SRT8 is due to boiling brake fluid. I concur with the recommendation to use racing brake fluid at the track in any SRT8 model, and suggest Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF.

#7 ·
Dave. Welcome to the forums. Believe me it is great to have you here. I believe I have read everything you posted on the M3 forum and have garnered a tremendous amount of information.

It takes a while to become known on a newer forum like this one, but as is the customary case with your input, your excellent reputation has preceded you.

I'll be ready for the Centrics soon. Have one question. One of the posters here said you may be able to provide cross drilled rotors sometime after the first of the year. Any truth to this?

Again, welcome, and thanks for the great initial post.

#8 ·
Hey Dave!!!

Thanks again for the pads, they're fantastic. I too would like to replace the stock rotors with a better looking, better performing option. Something either slotted or cross drilled, whichever you think is best for our trucks.

Any recommendations?

#9 ·
Dave - Thanks for the post. Great information. I've actually been thinking about switching to the Centric Posi-Quiet Semi-Metallic pads. Do you offer installation at your shop? If so, how much would it cost for front/rear installed? You are actually local for me.

#12 ·
Did your Centric Posi Quiet pads stay squeak free?
I am about to buy a pair and was wondering if you used the Ceramic or Semi-Metallic pads?
Thx, E
He must have used Posi Quiet Semi Metallic, since Posi Quiet Ceramic pads for the SRT8 only became available last week.

Given the choice between those 2 specific pads, I would pick Posi Quiet Ceramic, as that compound has slightly higher bite and friction, similarly low brake dust, and costs less than Semi Metallic.

What I use on my own SRT8 (300C) is StopTech Street Performance pads. Dustier than either Posi Quiet, but still FAR less dusty than stock SRT8 pads and the dust they do produce cleans off the wheels easily. They're virtually impossible to fade. I've run the last 5 track days in my Corvette with them and could not fade them. Yet they're quiet and smooth on the street. And cold bite and rain performance is better than either of the other two pads.

#13 ·
hi guys im new to the forum. if anyone can help me with my problem i'd appreciate it. the situation is that when im driving around 120 km my passanger seat is shaking. i spoke with a mechanic and he said rear breaks. i also had the tires ballanced it made it alittle better but still not gone. im trying to figure out what are the best break pads and rotters to use. i don't beat the car for it's my everyday driver and i'm not spending money at the dealer there a rip off thanks guys

#15 ·
Not certain what could be your problem but these seem to be the most popular pads for the rear breaks, I just installed them and they work great.
Akebono euro ceramic pads, you have to get them for a 06 Cadillac CTS-V, they are same part and fit on the jeep, manufacturer's part number EUR592

#16 ·
I did the CTS-V pads about two months ago and I thought I was all set. But the screeech CAME BACK. Upon further checking and researching, my squeak has a pattern. It only does it when the temperature is below 55 deg down to 30 deg or so. Any hotter or colder and the problem does not exist. So my new theory is that it may be a harmonics problem. Gonna try and do some testing with a mic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.