Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

What is the PROBLEM !! 3rd actuator motor in 3 months?

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Razorecko 
#1 ·
I'm having a crappy problem that cant seem to be resolved - over the last 6 months my actuator motor keeps going out in the rear diff...Same thing over and over---I usually get the service 4wd system light during somekind of highway cruising. It'll go on and off randomly untill it stays on for a good minute or two. When I get to the dealer its the same thing -the act motor is bad. Last time they got DCX involved they couldnt figure it out and the motor was replaced for the 2nd time. Now 2 months later same thing the service 4wd is popping up and the motor is going bad again for the 3rd time. Obviously its not the motor thats the problem - could it be a malfunctioning TCM module ? -thats the only thing i can think of.

#3 ·
Razorecko said:
I'm having a crappy problem that cant seem to be resolved - over the last 6 months my actuator motor keeps going out in the rear diff...Same thing over and over---I usually get the service 4wd system light during somekind of highway cruising. It'll go on and off randomly untill it stays on for a good minute or two. When I get to the dealer its the same thing -the act motor is bad. Last time they got DCX involved they couldnt figure it out and the motor was replaced for the 2nd time. Now 2 months later same thing the service 4wd is popping up and the motor is going bad again for the 3rd time. Obviously its not the motor thats the problem - could it be a malfunctioning TCM module ? -thats the only thing i can think of.
Actuator motor in the rear diff?????:confused:
They must mean the actuator motor in the transfer case.

They should be hooking up the StarScan and checking the codes...especially the ones in the final drive control module.
No way for 2 bad motors.
Bill

#5 ·
Razorecko said:
Yes, you may be eligible for the lemon law. It should be in your owner's manual packet somewhere.

#6 ·
BBLV said:
Lemon law it. 3 times already? I am sure you are paranoid that it will happen again! Sorry to hear.
Your service manager needs to get a SRT tech in there to check it out. I only say this because I was BS'n with my service manager the other day and he said that the SRT line is the way to go if I would ever purchase another car because a few months back they had a 300CSRT8 that was continually miss firing on 3 or 4 cylinders at a time and they could not resolve it. He contacted SRT, a SRT Tech/Engineer flew out and hooked the car up to his computer my service manager drove while the SRT played/tuned the engine to try to resolve the problem. He could not resolve the problem, told the service manager that the owner will get a new car and this one will be taken to be studied to find a fix. Pretty sweet if you ask me. So involve SRT or you could go the Lemon Law Route, either way I feel for ya, I've been there before with a GTP Lemon. It Stinks!!!! Good Luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.