Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Would you buy a FRONT limited slip differential? A Wavetrac?

• Not for me....not worth $1100 and i'll run 2wd if i have to

Votes: 0 0.0%

LSD or Wavetrac for FRONT diff? FULL LSD AWD??? Differential experts chime in

18K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  Blown7 
#1 · (Edited)
So some of us are plagued with more traction issues than others and there are some of us that 100% refuse to ever go 2wd....I'm going to run Nitto 555r 275/40/20's on the front of my Jeep and i think it would really benefit daily driving as well with normal weather and rain/snow....

I have done a little research and with our front diff's being the C200 i have read numerous threads on multiple forums about LSD's being made for them....

Could it be done?
Will it fit in the C200 since it fits in little civics and import front diffs?

I plan on calling Wavetrac tomorrow and seeing what our options are but i'm pretty sure I can get the interest if that's what's needed....

I'm sure i can EASILY get 10-15 people to put down $500 pre order deposits to get these made!!! Just like Sarge and Muellge accomplished successfully with the rear diff ;)

The price will be around the same as the rear unit...like $1100 i think...not bad for what you get...

I've always been envious having an all LSD AWD system like our hero and Jeep Pioneer BJB has. I'm honesty turned off by having my rear LSD and an open front diff....3 wheel peel :rolleyes:

So i'm just gauging interest and asking anybody if it can be done! Wavetrac is only 2hrs from me and i have NOOOOO problem driving my Jeep down there and showing they exactly why a front LSD would help us with street traction :D

Can you imagine a Jeep SRT with:

Built Tranny
Built transfercase
Rear Wavetrac LSD
Front Wavetrac LSD
Dominator converter
Lowering springs
Harrison rear shocks
Nitto 555r on front 275/40/20 @20psi
Nitto NT05r on rear 315/35/20 @20psi

Put some use to our AWD capabilities instead of squatting too much on the rear tires only to spin

HOW could you spin with that combo??? Ultimate street AWD monster! :eek::eek::eek:

This is the traction i want....minimal squat and spin
Check out the tires all 4 corners

UPDATE!!! Just talked to Dana at Wavetrac for 20 mins. He explained to me the entire process of getting these made....it will WORK! He stated they've made DIFFERENT size Wavetracs specifically for each application....because i wondered how the same unit that goes into our rear can also fit into civis and integra front diffs...that alleviated all my worry!

I'm gonna need about 15 full orders to make this happen but by that time i'll a bigger trusted vendor will deal with the payment collection....

I've located a front diff and am currently working on getting it shipped to Wavetrac ASAP! ;)

See less See more
1 1
#2 ·
That car has a Shep tranny. He's a member on here. He builds some sick import trannys and transfer cases.

#4 ·
Ha Ha! Thats PBIR, my home track! Those guys are from Lauderdale I think. It must only run that good 'cause the DA is so awesome! LOL!

Seriously, I might be down for a buy in if you get something figured out. Keep us posted. However, I am contemplating getting nuts with the Jeep and making it a 2wd. I am still reluctant though

#7 · (Edited)
On an open diff when one tire loses traction is barely spins the other tire much or any at all....

On a limited slip when one tire loses traction to a degree it sends power to the opposite wheel.....

So on our open diff jeep we basically have one tire working in the front and one tire working in the back......

Here's a more descriptive difference between the two

Open differential

Also called a slipping differential, this is the most common differential available on stock cars.* An open differential allows for free slippage between the two sides of the axle.* When a car is turning, the inner and outer wheels must rotate at different speeds.* If they are forced to rotate at the same speed, there will be increased wear on the entire drivetrain and tires as the slippage needs to "rubbed off" somewhere, normally the tires.* An open differential allows for some slippage to occur between the two sides of the axle so that the tires do not rub the ground.** With both tires left off the ground, put the transmission in neutral and with your hand turn one of the wheels.* The other wheel should spin in the opposite direction with an open differential.* If the opposite wheel does not spin, the differential may be damaged.

The downside to an open differential is that it offers the least amount of traction.** In a low-traction setting (dirt, sand, snow, ice, gravel), attempting to accelerate beyond the traction capabilities of the tires causes only a single tire to spin while the opposite tire generally does not spin at all or very little.* A 4WD or AWD vehicle with open differentials on the front and rear axles will spin one tire on the front and one tire on the rear in this situation.

Limited-Slip Differential (LSD)

To solve the problem of the low traction of an open differential, car manufacturers typically offer a limited-slip differential (LSD) on off-road, luxury, and high-performance vehicles.* A LSD is similar to an open differential in that it allows some slippage to occur, but it differs from an open differential by limiting the slippage, usually to a percentage difference.* Under normal conditions, a LSD will allow minor slippage between the wheels.* But when the slippage passes beyond a pre-determined difference, after a slight delay, the axle sides lock together somewhat and send part of the rotational torque to the opposite wheel of the slipping wheel.** There are several types of LSD's available from manufacturers all over the world, each offering a different mechanical solution.* With both wheels lifted up and the car in neutral, turn one wheel with your hand.* The other wheel typically won't move at all until about 1/2 of a full turn, then it will start to spin.

#9 · (Edited)
I found some info in this old thread.....Bill had built axles made but i think that's it....I don't even think the TC input shaft is upgraded...

I don't see fabrication of forged front axles being any more difficult to get made then rear ones....

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20412

Edit: here it shows an upgraded driveshaft....That can be easily made by BuilderBill for those without build rears and driveshafts already like us

http://www.shophemi.com/p-1276-jeep-srt8-front-diff-package.aspx

#17 ·
Thanks for setting this up Pauly. While I've already exhausted my 2011 SRT8 budget, I'd definitely be interested in a front LSD setup and would at least be able to put down a deposit if needed. (Besides, my birthday is coming up.... so maybe I'll bat my eyes and ask the wifey real nice-like! :D)

Keep us posted!

#18 ·
I'm looking to get more traction this year before the snow and ice comes.

I'm hoping to have enough mod money late august/early september to get both or at least the rear done.

#19 ·
Not that I have alot to offer but Bills Dana 44 is the way to go.

#21 ·
Bill discontinued making the front LSD diff....

Bill's front diff is VERY nice, but in all honesty... I would rather just upgrade to an LSD in the stock front diff as I do not see myself going into the bonkers HP range that most of you are currently at. Whether its a Vortech, or a PWR motor... I need a reliable DD so the 600 hp range would be my limit (I know, that is what everybody says).

My Wavetrac in the rear has made the Jeep MUCH better on the street, I can actually turn corners under power and not spin the inside rear!!! A front LSD could only make this better, I would think.
As soon as i get my hands on a front diff it's ON!

#20 ·
Bill's front diff is VERY nice, but in all honesty... I would rather just upgrade to an LSD in the stock front diff as I do not see myself going into the bonkers HP range that most of you are currently at. Whether its a Vortech, or a PWR motor... I need a reliable DD so the 600 hp range would be my limit (I know, that is what everybody says).

My Wavetrac in the rear has made the Jeep MUCH better on the street, I can actually turn corners under power and not spin the inside rear!!! A front LSD could only make this better, I would think.

#22 ·
Something to consider to leaving the front diff open this guys been having hookup problems for years running 3000 HP and 4Wheel drive when the fronts totally locked up the ability to turn quickly may be severely limited.

I haven't followed this this truck in years but heres the link
http://www.msmisery.com/msgallery/thumbnails.php?album=lastup&cat=0

#24 ·
Something to consider to leaving the front diff open this guys been having hookup problems for years running 3000 HP and 4Wheel drive when the fronts totally locked up the ability to turn quickly may be severely limited.
The Wavetrac isn't a "locking" differential though..,,,

I'd never drive with a locking diff on the front......you're asking for trouble

The wavetrac is sort of like an active diff except it sends power to the other wheel that isn't spinning....

Wavetrac FTW

#23 ·
Here's a vid

#25 ·
I had another thought

You might want to see if the Jeep Overland or any 4WD model already has a electric locker that would be a drop in change.

Maybe Jeep already did the hard work for you........

#26 · (Edited)
Yep they did

ACTUATOR,Axle Locker,[DSG] part number 52114003AE

HARNESS,Electronic Front Axle,[DSG] P/N 52114327AD

SCREW AND WASHER,Hex Head,M6x1x17,[DSG] 06508769AA

SNAP RING,[DSG] 05135813AA

O RING,[DSG] 05135814AA

#27 ·

A gerotor pump (1) creates oil flow through the filter (4) whenever left and right wheels spin at different speeds and the solenoid valve is activated. The oil flow is restricted by a Pressure Regulating Valve (PRV) to build oil pressure. Pressurized oil is then fed to a piston (2) chamber. The piston compresses the clutch pack (3) providing additional torque to the lower speed wheel.

#28 ·
Or buy a used unit from a auto recycler and make sure you install the 3.73 gears and your good to go, then hook the wiring up to a switch nothing could be simpler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.