Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Cooling Fan going bad?

29K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  nyc srt8 al 
#1 ·
This all happened after my Vortech install..

First of all I KNOWWWWWWW, coolant temps vary, and its normal for it to climb..

Driving my 06 around town coolant stays around 190, nothing over.. Beat on it, still around 190. Sitting in traffic, or in a parking lot 190*. Always below 200* no matter what.

Well when you turn the AC on the coolant temps slowly start climing, sitting or moving. I shut the AC off when it hits 230*.. I dont let it get above that.. When its that high, and the AC is on, the fan doesnt seem to be on HIGH. Just low.

Johan adjusted my tune so my fan comes on early, but it still does the same thing.

Is there anyway to check the low / high setting of the cooling fan? It worked find before the blower install.. And I dont have air bubbles in the coolant.

#5 ·
Thanks Ill check the relay to make sure its good.. Need to put my new blower belt on today too..

#4 ·
Thats what my issue is.... AC on, fan not on High... I have adjusted fan settings but temps still climb.

#6 ·
Also the condenser heat is expelled before the radiator and will heat up your coolant.

#7 ·
Regardless turning the AC on should turn the cooling fan on high when the temps get that High.

Was wondering if the heat exchanger being infront of the radiator is hurting the airflow.

Anyone else with a front mount heat exchanger have this issue?

#8 ·
My Jeep always does this. Usually though it'll only get up to 215-220*. Been battling it for years. I finally gave up. It never overheats persay, just runs warmer. Keep in mind OP, the truck is designed to run in the 215-230* range from the factory. You're not really running "hot".

#10 ·
Well tonight, without the AC on. Sitting in traffic the coolant gauge climbed to 245* and "check gauges" came on. So I got out to look, fan isn't on period now. So I let it cool down and drove it home.

Now I need to tear into it tomorrow and find out what the deal is.

#11 ·
Well I jumped the relay. Low side relay turned the fan on and it didn't sound to good. Jumped the high side and of course it didn't sound healthy either.

Then I went to take a video to show you what it sounds like. Now it won't jump.

Spins by hand but won't jump or turn on while the motor is running.

Now what to do.... Wire in a aftermarket *better* cooling fan, or find a stock unit to put in there.

Also found out tonight my 2-3 shift is getting sloppy at wot.

Ughhhhh, gotta pay to play.

#12 · (Edited)
Well today I came out to mess with the cooling fan.

It works fine now. Fan kicks on high when needed and low when AC is on.

I doubt I have 2 stuck relays. But don't want to put out 130$ for a new fan.

I think the fan motor may be going bad, getting hot and shutting down after commanded to be on.

#13 ·
Seems everyone is 1 week out or more on getting the fan to ship... Great.

Thinking about upgrading to a universal fan. But would rather just pop a new fan in.. Of course we cant find just the motor.. It has to be the whole shroud and all.

#14 ·
Lemme see what I can do for ya in getting a factory fan. I'll check with my parts guy tomorrow morning.

#15 ·
Thanks, but since this is my daily I had to order something today. So I picked one up from fleabay.. says it should be here before the 30th.. Hopefully my short commute doesnt overheat it..

#16 ·
Well I put the new fan on. Kicks on high like its suppose to.

Coolant is still climbing with AC on. Even while driving.

I replaced both relays and fan motor. I'm thinking heat exchanger in front is causing this issue.

#17 ·
My AC climbs up on real hot days up to 215 Rocky.... I think you might be alright there......

#18 ·
Before the blower with AC on it never climbed that high. I know this is still normal operating temps. But it pegged before.

Cooling fan was not turning on high before. And it does now. So I'll keep watching it.

FYI I bought my fan/ shroud from eBay. 100$ shipped. I got it in 3 days and the shroud was cracked. Contacted seller and he refunded 40$. So I just swapped fan motor in my shroud.

Has more fan blades and feels like it pushes more cfm than my stock fan blade

#21 ·
Did you get this solved? I just started having this same issue. Only difference is im completely stock. While driving stays at normal 205* after sitting in parking lot it jumps to 220*, sure not overheating but why all of a sudden it just start getting hot? Could someone explain how to check my relays? Ive seene Harrions pics of his melted fuse panel, I dont seem to have that but aside from replacing both hs an ls relays along with throwing ina 180* tstat idk what to do.

#22 ·
hey, i have had this issue twice, its not the relays, the fan resistor and module goes bad...
get a mopar replacement (not dorman) it goes for $335 list, but you should be able to find it at a good stealership for $275.... once you swap the entire fan assembly u should be good to go.... with the 180 jet you should see temps at 181 idle and 188 if you are on a run... anything over 189 should raise a brow....good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.