Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

How often do you wash/wax

18K views 78 replies 54 participants last post by  SRT8LoveR 
#1 ·
So my wife got me this great gift after I got the jeep. Its 1 carwash per day for an entire year. Well, I guess i am working to get my money out of it becuase I cant seem to steer clear of the wash. I generally take it through the full service wash at least 3-4 times a week then end up putting a coat of wax on it each weekend. I guess my question is, can you wash or wax too much? I dont want to get a year down the road and have a faded truck.

#2 ·
I hand wash it usually 2 times a week and quick detail it every day before I put it back in the garage.

I have OCD. LOL

I'm sorry I just dont like a dirty vehicle.

For instance the thing that bugs me the most are the rims being dusty. I stick my hand in the wheel and clean the insides every day and of course I clean the face of the rims.

The dust really bothers me. LOL

And as far as waxing goes, I do it once a month.

And every 6 months I clay bar, polish and wax.

#3 ·
I wash mines at least once a week during the summer. I will give it a good claybar, polish, paint sealant and a few coats of wax before the summer ends to get it ready for the winter and do the same for the summer. I wash her once every two weeks during winter.
I have black so it is very hard to keep it clean.

#4 ·
waterless wash every day, maybe miss one day a week. full clay bar and wash every other week. new wax coat when I feel it is needed. paint correction/polish beginning and end of summer. black keeps you on your toes haha, but enjoy every second cleaning my car. remember every time you touch the paint with anything, (towel, clay bar, water, hand), it takes down the wax coat so if you touch your paint alot your gunna have to reapply as you will take it down faster. I detail many friends rides now after they see mine haha. If you can take it through the self wash do it, the automatic washes catch rocks in the pads and will scratch your paint, especially if thats every day :(. Dont use the brushes at the self wash too much, they have so many things that will scratch up your paint caught in them as well. Unless you wanna pay someone to do a paint correction or do it yourself ever few months I saw a nice hand wash is going to be your best bet. A automatic car wash every day is going to be like beating a dead horse. Your better off just spraying your truck down with water then going through one of those. sorry if that was longwinded, but detailing is a bit of a passion for me and wanted to give you as much to think about as possible ;) haha

#5 ·
I never drive thru car washes.

Wax twice a year, but its not a daily driver and lives in the garage.

To me, cleaning the back of the wheels is like shoveling shit with white pants on.........(doesn't make any sense)......lol

I hate a dirty vehicle also, but it takes me 3 hours to do a full wash/dry/interior.........so I just try to NOT get it dirty

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#7 ·
It depends on the weather for me. I usually check the weather before i wash. if its gonna rain the next day or in a few hours, i will wash it the first day its clear.

#8 ·
My jeep does not stay in the garage unfortunately so I wash it at least once a week depending on the weather. I try to do a quick wax once a month to help protect. Every 2-3 months I clay bar and rewax the ole' girl. Waiting on some goodies in the mail so I can do a paint correction.

#13 ·
It takes me about 3 hrs to wash & detail it as well. Luckily I have a garage to keep it in so it stays pretty clean. I usually only have to dust it with my california duster. Thing works like a charm! Quick once over with it & I'm good to go. Just have to get the bugs off with a bug sponge & pressure wash the dust off the wheels around twice a week.

#15 ·
Once a week with wash and spray wax.

#17 · (Edited)
It's a DD so wash once a week unless it rains then I wash it before it goes in the garage which has led to some late night washes and snide comments from the neighbors. Quick detail almost everyday...can't stand the way the back looks after 2 miles. Paint correction once so far, clay and wax every 2-3 months or so.

#21 ·
Water is THE WORST substance you can put on a car. I use waterless wash as much as I can and am a FREAK with my car's appearance like some of you other OCD'ers. Always have been. At a minimum, it's dusted everyday. Those dusters are great. I wash with water about every two weeks...but I use softened water (had a bib put on my water softener) to lessen water spots. Clay once a month. I have tried everything and swear by Adams' products. I should have my wife read this thread so she thinks I'm a little less crazy.

Never, Never use a drive thru wash unless you don't care what it does to your paint. And many don't...that's why they're in business.

#22 ·
ok, im gonna ask... what is waterless wash? and what is so bad about the drive thru washers??? i live in an apt and am not permitted to hand wash.

#23 ·
it's a product made to clean your car without water. Several companies make it. The caution here though is not to get it too dirty or you need to use water. These products do great (with a good micro fiber towel) with just light dirt.

Auto car washes use soap that's too strong and the brushes will marr the paint and potentially even scratch it if there's containiments from in it. If I HAD to use one, go brushless.

#25 ·
This is all great info! Making the decision to buy black I knew washing would quickly become my most time consuming "hobby". Is there a thread on the claybar process or the paint correction process. I have never done either of these in the past and would like to get a start on them.

#27 ·
Adams products and porter cable ftw!!!

#28 ·
I wash mine when ever it nees to be cleaned ... whether that's once a year or once a day. I would say on avergae about once a week during dry months and 1-2 during the fall.... winter time = hibernation for the jeep haha

usually just a hand wash at home followed by a shammy dry and micro fibre final touch up .. vacum interior and a quick dust removal on all trim and windows.

#29 ·
Usually hand wash weekly and quick detail wax after every wash, i use meguiars,for now, but had very good results with zaino

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.