Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Can somebody find me or make some FAKE catalytic converters for my offroad Kooks?

13K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  oneliterlandspeed 
#1 ·
Hey everyvody i've had my Kooks headers sitting in my garage for 2 months now and i'm about to put them on very soon along with heads/cam/intake....

I bought them without cats cuz that is the way to go BUT i'm a little concerned due to recent happenings....

I recently got a ticket......but not your normal ticket.....i got a state referee certification required for emissions(no officer sign off).......which means i had to bring my Jeep back to BONE STOCK and pass an emissions check through a scheduled appointment through a state referee......WTF!!!

So anyways i took off my Bwoody, oil catch can, and bwoody manifold spacers.....and i FAILED because i THOUGHT i could sneak by without a PCV hose which i couldn't find.......

The drive was 100 miles and now i have to wait till the 24th to do it again but it's local and no more $30 fee.....i passed smog the first time

ANYWAYS......before i put there KOOKS on i was wondering if anybody could fab me up some MOCK or ILLUSION CATS to weld on to my midpipes so i don't get my Jeep another one of those tickets or WORSE...impounded

I'd like to have them in factory location if possible or where kooks cats usually go.....

Name your price and let me know what options i have......

THREAD COMING LATER ON STATE REF TICKET........theres more and a ticket 4 days prior to that too for ALL my tinting....non correctable.....DOH!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Never tried it on newer vehicles, but on older cats you can take them off, bang with a hammer and shake the guts out or use a large screwdriver to smash them up & shake out the pieces, that will turn them into a piece of straight pipe basically

#8 ·
Prob won't find any cats in a junkyard. They are actually pretty valuable now and some are being taken off of cars and sold to scrap yards. It's as crazy as the manhole covers and a/c units for copper. WTF! :eek::eek:

#11 ·
wow that crazy u got in that much trouble

#12 ·
When you get the headers put on have them take your stock cats and put them in with the mid-pipes. A muffler shop should be able to cut and weld them into your cat-less mids. You can be the guinea pig to see if it trips the CEL

#17 ·
CAts really do work, they make a substantial difference. I know I can tell with my nose and eyes watering in the garadge if a vehicle doesn't have cats. I dont see you passing smog with just Shells.

What you need to do is have your exhaust fabbed-up so you can unbolt the cats easily and bolt-in a piece of straight pipe. Any exhaust shop should be able to do this for you and have the pieces ceramic coated while you're at it. The swap should take no more than 30 minutes in your driveway with an air wratchet and floor jack. Just my .02.

#19 ·
I feel for you...... I would go ballistic if I had to deal with all this crap you guys have to put up with. Good luck to you.... but you may as well get real cats b/c at some point aren't you gonna have to re-test? Do the ol' cat swap-a-roo and be done with it?

#20 · (Edited)
Young,
I would recommend you go to http://www.randomtechnology.com take a look at the first class CAT's they make. You get great flow, clean air, and no BS from the state, becasue you have better than stock CAT's that work, That way every one wins, I have seen the numbers, CAT's - no CAT's and it really does clean up the air, not just a little, the numbers are huge! Take a look at the news the next time they show a picture of china outside downtown bejing and tell me your ok to pollute the air, ya know its only one really cool SRT8.... lets all do the right thing, make lots of HP and still have clean air. No soap box here, already made the mistakes, just trying to do the right thing.

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.