Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Anyone own/owned a BMW 335 xi/i

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  JohnsonSRT8 
#1 ·
Liked them ever since they came out and have been looking for the right one the past year. My closest dealer here in MN got one in that has what I want. A CPO 2008 335xi with the 6spd manual in black with the low miles of 23k. BMW has the best CPO program aswell, comes with a 6yr 100k warranty! Havnt been able to find that combo unless I travel all the way across the country, its either the wrong color or too high miles or the most common there's not too many xi(awd) in the 6 speed manual.

Anyways I was just wondering if there are any fellow jeep owners that own/owned one? What are your likes/dislikes on the interior/exterior, ergonomics, handling, engine, the whole car really or certain things to look for. The only real major negative mechanical thing I could find was the HPFP failure which seemed to be fixed with a recal? Another negative thing I found was it has a small backseat, but I don't sit back there so I don't care lol. Anything else like probs I might run into wen I get higher into the miles, 60-100k? Only reason I ask cuz im in northern MN and the dealer is 4 1/2 hrs south in Minneapolis. From what I read this is a very reliable car!

Also im sure it wont be stock long so what are some good performance mods todo, like the top 5 to make just a better overall car. Tune I was thinkin JB3, then exhaust don't kno what kind, downpipe(not sure bout this if its necessary ) some sort of CAI. Am I missing something? Also any simple mods that arnt necessarily performance oriented but to make the car run/look/last longer. Read something bout the golf tea mod for the exhaust that plugs something so then the exhaust has a little more bark to it, mods like that im referring to?

Thanks, Derek

See less See more
#2 ·
just sold one

i had it for 3 years from new as well as Jeep and others

fantastic drivers car over here on our country lanes

i had the 335i m sport in bright red no chrome

not massively slower than the M3

great drivers car and sounds a little like Ferrari when you mash it

i would recomend it

i changed it for a 5.0L X6 in white, wish i had never changed

so buy and enjoy

i dont know if you guys can get the M sport it has sports suspension and running gear of M's

looks and drives better than standard car

mine never missed a beat in 3 years and could not find any negatives great car

all the best

#5 ·
I'm picking up a 6mt 2011 335i xdrive coupe TODAY! I'll post pics as soon as I can. . . I've spoken to a number of guys on here who have gone Jeep -> 335i/335xi. . . I guess it sort of seems like a common move! I went to see my car Tuesday. . . Its ridiculous . . . Only mods I'm thinking are the Dinan tune (I'm leasing and its covered) and the bmw performance exhaust that comes on the 335is.

#6 ·
I owned one in the graphite metallic with a base-model interior (it was hella cheap). Even without the i-drive bells and whistles (I hated the I-drive which is why I didn't get it), it was a great driver's car.

Be warned, it is SMALL compared to American cars, even my 5'9" frame felt cramped, if you're tall then I can't imagine it will fit you.

The Vishnu Tune, which is a piggyback module and requires about two hours to install, its a good mod and adds at least a full second in the quarter mile, really wakes the car up.

I plan on getting either a 335xi lease, or transfer an M3 lease, sometime after I get my next jeep in the future. I only like to own BMW's a year or two at the most before I seem to want to get rid of them.

#7 ·
I just took one for a test drive last week. 07 335xi with 30K miles that the dealership just got back from a lease ending Car handled nice and the roads had a fresh layer of snow and ice on them so I was able to see how the AWD worked on them.

I didn't like the color combo of the one I drove. Light green exterior and camel leather interior. But besides that I loved the car and added it to my possible winter ride list.

#8 ·
my friend has a black 08 335xi bone stock it will easily hang with a tune only jeep on the highway, I use to be big into BMW a few years ago before the Jeep, Dinan stuff is overpriced go with the JB3 or what Winston said (Vishnu) as far as tuning stuff, be prepared to cough up $$$ for intake and exhaust parts as they are NOT cheep..

#9 ·
I picked up my '11 335i x today. . . It is absolutely wonderful. It's also my first standard/manual car which the dealer thought I was insane for doing. . . I had a few stalls here and there, some of them were histerical. . . But I've picked it up well enough to get around already, and the car really is a dream to drive. It already feels smooth despite my rookie shifting, and I imagine its only going to continue to get better.

I've never owned a car or a stick. . . So I'm a bit biased. . . But it really is an absolute dream to drive. I put about 65 miles on it today (half day at work) and I CAN'T WAIT until its broken in and I can really play with it.

#10 ·
I had a 2008 335xi before getting into the Jeep. Overall I liked the cars looks, performance, and most of all handling. Negatives: small as hell, I felt like I had to pry myself out at 6'0 200lbs. Most of the dealers do not like to see mods and it isn't a car I would like to have without a warranty.

#11 · (Edited)
Thanks guys keep em comin! Anybody know what these run in the 1/4 mile with a tune like say 90-120 hp vishnu tune package.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.