Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Cam for XMAS?

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  Blown-WK 
#1 ·
Looking into getting myself a little present for xmas, and I think i'd like to do a cam.

I've aaaaalways had a thing for the SRT Max cam simply for the RAW choppy sound that it has, that people always would affiliate with a "cammed out vehicle". From my understanding they're a decent performer aswell.

Anyone else have any other suggestions on any other cams that are proven to perform well, but will still have that very same nasty chop? I know, it's silly to put the sound of the cam as a pre-requisite for buying a cam. But IMO, i'll never be happy with upgrading my cam if it doesnt cause the vehicle to sing a sweet symphony to me.

and if I were to go with the srt max cam...should i do any other supporting mods right off the bat? i'm not familiar with the durability of these motors...so I don't know if pushrods and springs and retainers and so-forth are a necessity on these things.
My jeep drives about 6-10k miles a year now.

#2 ·
Sounds like the SRT MAX is the CAM for you , Also if you want Choppy hit up Andy at PWR and he can hook you up with something Choppy as well .

#3 ·
:bangin: what?? Paulo no plug?? u slippin

#8 ·
FRI also makes a Littleboy cam with a 112 lsa that has some nice chop as well... Contact Chris@MWP for.more info...

#9 ·
What kinds of Fri littleboy cams are their?

#12 · (Edited)
FRI 0* Littleboy cam @ 114 lsa

FRI +4 * Littleboy cam @ 114 lsa

FRI 0* Littleboy cam @ 112lsa ( Not extactly sure what exact sopecs this cam is, but Chris from MWP would know for sure as this would be my guess) Jim aka Jpeyatt has one on his Jeep. He had an SRT MAX cam @ 112 lsa on his rig and installed the FRI Littleboy cam and said it was making more power then his old SRT MAX cam and sounded bad nice and choppy as well... I would contact Chris@MWP for more details....

Look at post 172 in this thrread....

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47799&page=5

#10 · (Edited)
I have an SRT Max cam with a 112 LSA, and while it sounds great with my cutouts open, I wasn't overly impressed by it's performance, definite gains, but not what I was hoping for I guess. From talking with my local LX buddies, a couple of which have the SRT Max, for whatever reason, it seems to perform better with them. Nice advantage with the SRT Max cam as it comes from Inertia, you don't need to replace springs and pushrods...always a good idea to though, in my opinion...

I would call and talk to Stu @ Inertia, Andy @ PWR or Josh @ HHP and talk about your current setup, future plans, and desires (choppy sound, low-end power, high-end power, etc.) All of these are very knowledgeable and incredibly nice guys and can help design a cam that's perfect for you.

Reactions: mondo
#11 ·
i think they make a fri lil boy now with a 112lsa so it chops :)

after reading so much about them, sounds like stock motor stock heads just go fri.

#13 · (Edited)
Gotta throw in a plug for my PPP Stage2 cam. Went 11.84@114 with it at Atco 2 years ago. It's pretty choppy. Still running it in the turbo setup as well. I don't think any other NA Stock head Jeep has beat my time YET.;) I've been running it for 45K miles now. Specs are 218/224 113LSA 570/555. It used to be called the Track Warrior. best of both worlds. Bark and bite!

#14 ·
Would agree as that is the cam I was going to install in my beast a while ago..... Only reason I did not is cuz .it required new Springs .....

#15 ·
We can hook ya up with the LIttleboy cam in either option with or without valve train upgrade. That is the beauty of the design of this cam. If you are looking at running the modified cam then you will have to upgrade valve train. All our other cams available for the 6.1 will require valve train upgrade as well.
Hit me up on a PM or email (chris@modernwarfareperformance.com) and I will be glad to help.
Also we are still running our special so its a great time to take advantage of the deals on the camshaft. S0on we will be doing the same for ported intakes and ported heads so stay tuned.

#17 ·
i've had great luck with Dave @modernmuscle.
His cams build great power and not only that he's got great support if you need it

#19 ·
I have run the SRT MAX for a while and I had great success with it. I ran 12.3's with no real excessive tuning. Not many cams run this good, unless you are little boy fanatic, and then your cam trumps all no matter what anyone says! Had to throw it in there little boy lovers. Haha!

#20 ·
It sounds like you would be very happy with the SRT Max on a 112. Sure there are other cams that may run .1 faster but if you want to pull up to a light and have people say WTF is in that thing, go SRT Max all the way. It will chop super hard with cutouts idling around 700rpm.

#22 ·
You won't need lifters with any cam..... it's springs you'll need. You really should change the springs with any cam IMO. We just did one of PWR's cams in a Jeep with a 110LSA. It sounded pretty good. Call Andy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.