Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Has this happened to you???

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jim383 
#1 ·
Okay so today on my way home i get on the freeway... I was driving as usual when i drive over a bump when suddenly my fog lights got out... Thinking that i can turn them back on i switch them off and turn it back on but nothing... So i am assuming that the bulbs just blew... :(:(:( When i tried to accelerate I get nothing and and suddenly they dash lights go out... All that was lite was the millage and the gear lights... So now i am tripping out and moving over to the emergancy lane when suddenly she come back to life with 3-4 revs of the engine... Everything seems to be working but i notice the gas light still on..... (just had about 1/8 to start with on gas, enough to get me home) So i am guessing she ran out of gas but the level gradually goes up and the gas light goes off... I get off the freeway looking for a gas station just to be safe when she dies again.. This time everything goes off at the same time.. I pull over and remove the key and start her up again... And vroom she starts again... But this time i was on flat roads with no bumps... I fill her up and she seems fine....

So now my question is to the forum memebers... when our cars run out of gas do they stall or just die??? And i thought that we had about 2-3 gallons of gas on reserve after the light comes on?? Any suggestions what this might be??? Was it just a glitch??? :confused::confused::confused:

See less See more
#8 ·
That is what i was thinking but the second time it shut off was on flat ground... :(:( Why does it go to limp mode????

#7 · (Edited)
Just today, same thing, except without loss of power. Happened a few times in the last month. hit a bump, no dash lights, no headlights, no tach, no speedo, but the car still goes. shifts fine, no loss of power.
I can hear the whine/howl of the T/C clutchpack engaging full time, as if pressing the button. Note for all would be detractors: this is a normal sound, and I just had the fluid changed not 2000 miles ago, and it was still pretty much like baby oil,. just a slight tint. And, this howl/whine is not the so loud version that some people compain about... just the sound of the T/C wneh engaged.
Needless to say, it really worries me that it may happen at night. I have already tried to reseat all the connectors I can get my hands on. i actualyl think it's related to the ignition switch/column. just a hunch, though. 2007 with 25K miles, bone stock (no mod money :( )

Oh -- And when it comes back on, the dash stays lit up like a x-mas tree and the T/C remains engaged. Until a key cycle.

Thoughts?

#10 ·
It's that CAN Bus cr@p. Some things just need to work when you throw the switch on. But that CAN bus stuff has everything in the truck talking between each other as I found in a recent radio mod. Fog light electrons probably went to lunch and the main computer freaked. Just a SWAG.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.