Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Fun with Plasti Dip....

7K views 30 replies 13 participants last post by  nfd538 
#1 ·
I had a few days off and have been wanting to shadowline the Jeep for awhile, so this is what i came up with. I still have the lower front bumper to do...temps here in TN were too cold the next day. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks great !! plan to do the wheels too ?

#10 ·
Since you did exactly what is being done to mine as we speak I have a question for you and anyone else who'd like to chime in. My jeep is silver and was wondering if I should paint the sections behind my windows black on all the doors or leave it silver? Please don't take this as robbing your thread I just figured it was fitting since you did the same thing. Figured easier than starting a new thread. Looks great by the way.

Thanks
Daniel

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#11 ·
No problem at all, man. I'm pretty sure you're referring to the chrome trim at the base of the windows. If so, IMO, I would paint them the same color as the vehicle. Are you painting the door trim black or silver? Knowing this would change my opinion.

-Brandon

#16 · (Edited)
Yes I was referring to the window strips. What I ended up doing is painting all the chrome silver body color including the rear with the sensor. It's sweet and the sensors function as normal. We painted the window strips and matte black and looks good under the windows.

Dsniel

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#12 ·
Your ride looks awesome. Bought mine a month ago and the the silver Cherokee strip is the only thing blacked out. Looks good, but probably should be redone or add another coat of paint. Looking at yours, i think i want to do the rest
What kind of paint did you use?

Thanks!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

#13 ·
I used Plasti Dip. The stuff's pretty cool. I purchased it from home depot...took a little more than a can. It has held up pretty good, so far. The cool thing about it is that you can peel it off whenever you want to. Hope this helps you out. BTW, if you have blacked out door moldings, i would do the window trim in black as well. there is another member on here that just did it to his silver rig and it looks really good.

#14 ·
Plasti Dip. Interesting. Perhaps thats that the previous owner did? Doesn't look permanent know that you mention it. That's why I thought it may need a touch up. Thanks for the advice.

#15 ·
Man, I can't type this morning.....lol. Damn iPad.

#17 ·
And the parking sensors still work huh? Good to know.

They make a gloss coat for Plasti-Dip now, don't they? Something to give it more of a satin sheen?

#19 ·
Yes the sensors still work which stands to reason if new cars come out with painted sensors but I was still worried. My painter put my mind at ease and it looks real good.

i don't know what materials he used I just now its done and it sticks haha

I was going to start a thread but I'll just say it here. I have an 06 and I purchased a new front bumper after hitting something on the highway. The new front replacement bumpers come as paintable throughout, no black plastic which is sweet if you don't like the plastic. We painted my rear bumper to match and turned out better than I thought it would. Just an FYI.

Daniel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.