Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Transfer Case issue

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Rose City GC SRT8 
#1 ·
The dealer has had to replace my transfer case output shaft coupler/yoke assembly twice in less then 2 years. Apparently the splines to the transfer case stripped out both times.

Has anyone else had this probelm??

I just have this gut feeling on how the jeep is behaving that its going to happen again. Vehicle is out of warranty so I dont feel like taking it back to the dealer.

Has anyone replaced this themselves before? How difficult of a task is it?

Thanks guys,
Frank

#4 ·
Dropping the transfer case isn't too difficult. Mine is laying under my Jeep right now as a matter of fact.

#6 ·
What does the trans case do to tip you off to the issue?? sounds? vibration?

#7 ·
well theres a few things that ive noticed. The first is shifting from Park/Reverse to Drive. Sometimes I get loud clunking/banging sound. I do make sure i am completely stopped before shifting. This doesnt happen that often, but starting to get more regular. The second and most frequent is when im driving around 35-50 and quickly take my foot off the gas, I get a loud thumping noise from the transfer case.

Both of these issues went away as soon as coupler was replaced the last 2 times. After 6 months or so, it slowly comes back.

#9 ·
definitely a TC issue. i've had the same problem for months now,taken to the dealer 5 times and they have yet to figure it out. took the transmission/transfer case tech for a ride on friday just to show him and let him feel the clunking. for me its worse with the traction control off. this is when mine did it the most, tc off, high gear, accelerating usually around 70mph and uphill is the worst. well this past saturday i changed my front diff fluid with royal purple 75-140, and my TC fluid with the NV146 and i bout $hit myself when the noise and "clunking" disappeared. 6 months of takign it to the dealer and i fixed it in 2 hours. i tried HARD to make the noise again and i couldnt get it to do it. i' almost wondering if there is a type of "knock" sensor that tells us when our fluid is dirty. maybe, probably not, i have no idea. but i have yet to hear or feel the clunking since saturday and i've gone 200 miles already. i've got a 06 with 35,000 miles and first tiem the fluid has been changed. and it wasnt that bad, golden brown, actually looked abotu twice as dark as motor oil. go spend $150 on fluids and change it yourself and i'm willing to bet the noise goes away. i never in a thousand years thought it would make a difference. i swore up and down it was my transfer case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.