Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

What's your RPM's @ 80mph?

8K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  jim383 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out if I've lost my overdrive. I'm running @3k @80mph. Just noticed it about 2 weeks ago and thought it was running high.

What are you all running at around 75-80 mph?

Thanks!

#7 ·
So can ya'll tell me this. Do we even have a OverDrive? Cause went cruising and I slap it down, it goes straight into 4th, then I go to put it in 5th and then it never seems to drop into OD.

#9 ·
5th gear IS the overdrive... 4th gear is 1.00 and 5th is 0.83. It's all right here in this neat little pamphlet... :D

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_srt8_specs.htm#TRANS

And 3k rpm's is right for 80 mph, one more gear WOULD be really helpful, I'm sure the engine has the power to push the ole brick down the road at 80 mph at a slightly lower rpm. I'm sure it would help our fuel woes quite a bit... :boohoo:

#10 ·
And 3k rpm's is right for 80 mph, one more gear WOULD be really helpful, I'm sure the engine has the power to push the ole brick down the road at 80 mph at a slightly lower rpm. I'm sure it would help our fuel woes quite a bit... :boohoo:
I wonder if moving the truck at 3k without effort is more fuel efficient than working harder at a lower RPM to do the same thing? :confused:

#11 ·
i frequent i87 and 75-90 is my coasting average and the 3K is def how it is. but i will say after i got a Johan tune i can honestly say its just a hair below how it was with a stock tune. but im prolly just seeing/noticing things that i want to see but not necessarily the case.

#12 ·
This truck has more passing power when locked in 5th gear at 70mph than most commuter cars I've driven had at WOT.

The engine could easily pull this truck through the air at 80 mph running 2000 rpms in a 6th gear.

#18 ·
Yeah, that's what I thought. But was just making sure that all was good.

And yeah, I completely agree that a 6th gear would be great. BUT I don't think any of us bought our Beasts to be our family road trip vehicle. lol.

Well now that I know all is well, I sure appreciate all the feed back. Now it's time to go pick it back up from my father-in-laws shop. Had a small tranny leak. All good now.

#15 ·
Useless wear and tear on the motor. I'd love to keep the revs down and be able to cruise at 85 mph and get better mileage to boot.

Cruising at 85-90 mph in this car is ridiculous, darn near 3,500 rpms. :(

Fastest suv on the streets and u always see them driving the slowest on the highway lol.

#17 ·
That 3000rpm at 80 thing is why I consider my Jeep the dragster. My Magnum cannot yank out of the hole anything like the Jeep, but at highway speeds, she is the monster. Whenever I do a road trip, its Maggie time... upwards of 20mpg highway. But when its time to kick ass at the freeway on ramp, the Jeep has no peer. I blew away a brand new M3 the other day at the stoplight, but he backed off quickly. If that had been a mile-long race, things would have been different.

We really need a 6th gear..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.