Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

The Black Mamba

31K views 185 replies 45 participants last post by  mondo 
#1 · (Edited)
Like the title says, I have already coined a name for my Shelby GT500. I plan on making a one of a kind unique build with my GT500 similar to what I did with my jeep. I have already determined my color scheme and have started gathering parts for the first phase of modification. All work is being done at DCCustoms with the help of Dan, Chad (CMN1), Matt (GlorySends), Eric (Ekaz), Tim (BullsF####), myself and anyone else who helps out here and there. I am very greatful for all the help provided and would like to say thank you ahead of time. Now onto the fun part:

Aesthetics:
Exterior:

I have decided to go with a murdered look (no surprise) on the exterior with a few touches of Flash Blue. The work being done includes:
  • Tinted red and amber reflectors.
  • DCSpecial headlights with chrome delete and the addition of blue LED's.
  • Flash Blue caliper paint purchased from g2usa
Engine Bay:
  • Current Half Covers are already a very similar color to Flash Blue. In due time I will be painting pieces black and blue to make it look nice and bedazzled :grinbiginvert:
Interior:
  • The dash and mood lighting is set as blue.
  • The picture on the head unit is a picture of a Black Mamba.
Performance:

For this first stage of performance, I was looking to purchase a good package of supporting mods which could help my Mustang produce more boost and breathe better without going into the motor. Others who have added the same mods to their Mustang have dynoed on mustang dynos at anywhere in between 700/720WHP and 750/765TQ. The stock GT500 puts down roughly 612WHP and 625TQ and therefore this combination proves to bring a 100HP/TQ + or - gain. Mods include the following:
  • MGW Short Throw Shifter (no performance gain, but a 30% less throw)
  • Bob's Oil Seperator (Carbon Fiber Catch Can with Braided Hoses)
  • JLT Carbon Fiber 127mm Cold Air Intake
  • 10% OD Pulley
  • Thump Racing Belt Tensioner
  • Dual 65mm Throttle Body
  • Offroad H-Pipe
  • 3.73 Gears
  • NGK TR6 Spark Plugs
  • Lund Tune and SCT Tuner
  • Michelin Pilot Super Sports 295/35/20's for the rears
Pictures can be seen below:

CAI:

10% OD Belt / SCT Tuner / Spark Plugs / Thump Racing Belt Tensioner:

Flash Blue paint which matches the half covers:

CF Oil Separator:

Short Throw Shifter:

Traction:
In order to counteract the poor traction with this TQ heavy RWD beast, I have already swapped out my rear tires from the stock crapyears (285/35/20) to Michelin Pilot Super Sports (295/35/20).

See less See more
#48 ·
John why are you going to a 373's? thats pretty low gear for this car, 1rst and almost 2ond are going to be useless under WOT, if they weren't already lol. This car is so powerful as it is, I doubt you need more gear. I bet your 0-60 times will gone up, as you'll have to shift to 2nd before 60 now....Just saying, if I were you, i'd do your pulley swap/other mods first just to see how you like it, as it will be such a huge difference in the way it feels....you may not want a lower gear..

ie..My car has stock 355's, and at the 600rwhp mark there is no way id go lower in a manual trans....just too much power and too short of gear IMO.....if i were auto, that would be different....Im curious to see how you like it a 373 in that car...

How do you find the new Michelin Pilots Sports? Most guys run at least a Drag Radial for street traction....

#63 ·
Here's a serious question for Stuppy Puppy.....why the SCT Flash Tuner vs. the Livewire?
Just curious since I like gadgets and monitors and the Livewire is similar to a Trinity.
Or is logging/monitoring not something done with the GT500 crowd?

My plan was to have the car in pieces by the time you would arrive.....LOL. Seriously on it being in pieces though (calipers need to come off for paint and then maybe no front fascia depending on him green lighting the headlight work).

Yup, i am in the same boat. The thrill of nailing it in 3rd gear going 80-90 on the highway and still breaking the tires loose in and having the back end kick out is both scary but fun at the same time. I have to turn boost down to about 6-8psi on the street which is still able to spin through 3rd even with radials.

That would be a blast. I'd love to get a higher hp RWD car. Need to move someplace with a 4-5 car garage though. LOL.

#67 ·
It's gonna be soooo sick!!!!! Can't wait to see it! So is it gonna be weird when people say they want to see your Black Mamba??....Or, I wanna feel the power behind the Mamba. :p

Reactions: jps043
#69 ·
Alright guys, I have updated the first page with a lot of pictures from the recent updates. Enjoy!

#74 ·
Looks great bud. I love the progress you have made so far man keep it up!!
Thanks DJ!

Idk if this has been brought up, might have even been by me I can't remember, but why the 373 gears?
So the reason I decided swap out the stock 3.31:1 GR for a 3.73 is because I am looking for more power down low at sacrificing potential top end gains. In my immediate future I do not see myself finding enough road to hit the 200mph mark, and I don't really care about MPG on the stang as it's a garage queen. So I will gain quite a bit down low, which I will have to counteract with better traction via tires, suspension etc.

Whats the purpose of the dual throttle body?
You know I am not sure why Ford goes with the dual TB from the factory, and I looked into switching into a single TB but apparently the aftermarket ones for the Shelby have been having issues with the throttle plate not closing. So I kept it safe and went with a tested product.

#75 ·
Looks good John, nice work Dan, Tim, Matt, Chad & Eric, lol. Where's the pic of you actually doing some work on it John? :p

Jim
Haha believe it or not I have been proactive with this build aside from this past weekend in which I was unable to attend.

#78 ·
That is an old nickname from college used by my fraternity brothers lol. I thought for sure I had escaped it post college, until Dan caught a glimpse of it one day. Now I am forever haunted by it.

Badass John! Loving what you've done to it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks Jason! Any progress with your beast?

#82 ·
im pretty sure the dual TB design is because of under hood space, they have been doing these since the full size bronco days... you could never fit a single round one big enough at the same spot that equals the CFM of those two lil guys.... plus i bet the smaller ones help with turbulence

#83 ·
Coming from a cobra with 700+ at the tires, 5spd and 3.55s... you don't want the 373s unless it is a drag dedicated car.

With the 3.55s I could drop it into 3rd on the thruway and lay rubber...
From a red light I'd have to feather the clutch in any race... minivan or Mustang... if I didn't work the pedals I would just go up in smoke. Realistically, that was the only chance they had... by the time I was going into 3rd I was reeling them in and would fly past them.

On slicks it would pull the front wheels and trap almost 140 on pump gas.

It's all in what you're after. You only need more down low if you have a slick or a great suspension setup with a great set of DRs to make it hook. DRs alone won't do it in most cases... I could come off of the 2-step and smoke the tires through 3rd at the track on a DR. That same setup on a slick had the nose in the air. My car just wasn't setup for the DRs I was running.

I could have thrown an automatic in it with the 3.55s and ran 9s all day on pump... but that would have taken the fun out of it.

Driving the car on the street and doing huge rolling smokey burnouts next to people was awesome... bouncing off the rev limiter, the BOV chirping and the gate opening... it was a beautiful thing...

#90 ·
Nice work fellas, Dan post up the burn out video :)

#91 ·
Will do when I have it.....John says only he can do a burnout in the car. And his headlights just got painted and stuff. So hopefully have it all back together this weekend when he's back here to work unless I start before then.

Then he can either do the burnout then or when the shifter an h pipe is installed. Taking it to a shop since you need a lift to lower the trans down to install the shifter....might as well have them quickly install the h pipe since they'll have it up in the air anyways.

I'll be the camera man for still photos and someone else will be shooting video.....or we can do multiple takes so I can get both. LOL.

#106 ·
Another option would be to go to a 3.55:1 (unless that's already been mentioned)

**EDIT - just saw meeper's post...

Haha no worries bud. I am going to hold onto the 3.73's as the guys on the SVT forum running them have seen some incredible results with running them (in addition to at least 315's in the rears). Maybe in the future I will swap them in.

Talk to the guys on barter kings and ask them to trade your 373s up to a whipple for you

That's all you need for performance mods !
Haha the whipple is a possible future modification. As for now I am going to see what the stock blower can do. These Stangs can achieve 9's with very little modification. There has been one in the high 9's with minor bolt-ons and suspension upgrades. The next step is upgrading my suspension and seeing how low I can get on my current setup. Check out this article:

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/drag/283507-2013-gt500-breaks-into-9-s-using-steeda-parts.html

I wanna see it finished! Hurry up! :p
Hopefully it will be running this weekend :)

#105 ·
I wanna see it finished! Hurry up! :p

#107 ·
Cool man excited for you!!

Reactions: jps043
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.