Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Trinity "Is is worth it right now?"

5K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  loud8 
#1 ·
As everyone else on the forum . . . I'm driving myself crazy trying to find performance mod's, and there just isn't anything available yet.
I would buy it today, but at this point is it worth spending the money?
This is by no means anything negative about their product, just want to get more info on how much I'll be able to do with it now, and what's the best HP/TQ I can expect.

Thanks!

#2 ·
If you have a '12-'13, some other owners of those will need to respond about tuning.
I mainly use the Trinity I have to datalog and make sure the gas I'm using is not causing excessive knock retard, etc. In other words to make sure I'm at least getting what the factory designed.

#3 ·
I just picked one up this week for my 07 and even the canned tune makes a difference. It makes the car just drive better, smoother shifts, eliminate most of the lag of DBW. Well worth it my opinion.

#4 ·
Supposed 10 hp increase on 91 octane and 15 on the 93 octane tunes at the moment.

That isn't stellar, but keep in mind, with the tune you can also reset or change the factory transmission settings which makes a massive difference in drivability. You can also raise the redline. You can add more fuel if you're getting some knock. You can make the throttle more responsive or slower. You can turn on and off the multi displacement technology.

And of course the data logging.

Now if you buy the tuner, you can data log, then send data to one of the forum tuners, and they will tweak your map for you and get you more then that 10-15 horsepower that comes with the unit. This is especially useful if you have an intak or exhaust among other things to help the truck optimise the mods.

This only works on the 2012 however, the 2013 computer hasn't been opened up as of yet. As far as I know. I'm not sure which jeep you're running, so all this information could have been useless. :p

I'd recommend it. I barely noticed the 10-15 horsepower, but I definitely can tell there's a massive difference in the way the transmission is working. I bought the unit in anticipation of an intake and a few other toys. I will get a tune, and it will be a different animal after as a result.

#6 ·
#10 · (Edited)
If our T&T isnt rained out 1/24/13 and if 1 of the 2012 jeep going has a canned tune and ill be running pure stock we will find out just how good the 91 or 93 canned tunes are. After i fig out the race wt diff in the 3 2012 we have then we can see just how much the canned tune is worth. I look at it this way it would cost me 1000 bux for the tuner and a cmr dyno tune and thats more than i want to pay as im retired. At this time im not sure we can dyno tune with the tuner yet with the 2012.

#12 ·
Also, looking forward to hearing differences.

I wouldn't compare one persons jeep to another person however, you run into how the ecu has self programmed. Perhaps you can convince the person in the stock jeep to run a couple laps unprogrammed, and then a few programmed to get best most realistic results?

#11 ·
Nobody said you have to get the tuner and a custom tune done the same day :p

So 599ish one month, then whatever a custom tune is sometime down the road when the finances allow for it :).

Or just walk around for two days and you'll save the same amount in fuel costs :p

#13 ·
Its looking like the tune is the most cost effective when comparing a Borla mod or a CAI. For roughly $1500 bucks you can do all three and easily be producing over 500 hp at the crank. I think the Trinity itself on a totally stock engine is good for 20 wheel HP and 10 wheel lbs of torque. The 93 can tune makes enough of a difference that you miss it when you remove it.

#14 ·
Talk to Skip about a trinity. Just picked one up for my buddies 300 from him and his price was over $100 less than what I paid for my Trinity 2 years ago. Trinity paired with a wide band and a custom tune, yeehaw!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

#19 ·
Brought the 2012 Jeep in today for a custom Dynotune. Unfortunatley i didn't have a true base line as the Hennessey CAI and Borla ATAK were already installed. My base line included the Diablo 93 Octane tune. Base Max HP = 383.77 and max torque = 385.04. Best run was max HP = 389.19 and Max Torque = 392.15. We were getting some knock so backed it down and ended up with max HP = 384.38 and max torque = 384.09. My guy did call up Diablo...not sure if he spoke with Mike or who. it seems that our numbers are somewhat in line with what they are seeing. I am a bit disapointed but i guess this means that Jeep and Diablo have really figured out how to get everything out of the current engine. The jeep is more responsive and more enjoyable driving with other tweaks made. Have not had any chances to run a 0-60 yet.

#20 ·
Care to do a bit of a write up on your experiences with the new tune? I know overall 1HP is nothing, but throughout the entire rpm range are you finding bucket loads more torque in mid range and etc? Better passing power, more confident feeling, and etc?

Thanks for the previous post, interesting to see your result. Would love to see some 0-60s and 1/4 or 1/8th times when you get around to it :)

Ps, would you consider a 180 thermostat? I'm finding my truck feels a lot more consistent with it in.

#21 ·
will do. i have only put on about 30 miles since it was done today and depending on the pending snow storms as soon as i can i will run her out a bit. I will tell you i am very happy with the difference between the custom tune and the stock 93. the stock 93 did provide a jump in performance off the line and shifting response. the custom tune has made a HUGE difference in torque and feel in WOT. I had not thought about a thermostat. do you think it's worth it? which brand do you recommend?

#22 · (Edited)
I'm running a jet. I don't think there's much between the brands to worry about besides pricing on that part. I saw a comment somewhere on here where one brand was like 20$ cheaper and basically the same quality. Can't find the thread though...

From what I've heard, especially for people with the short ram intakes like the Hennessy, getting the engine a little cooler will help the intake air temp since the engine is cooler, the engine bay isn't getting as hot.

Overall I'm finding a somewhat more consistent power from one run to another, but I can't say for certain if its because I installed a bloody at the same time, or removed the kink in the exhaust a couple days before, but between everything, I'm very pleased, and the engine is noticeably cooler, enough that you can physically see the cooler temperature on the gauge. I haven't had it on long enough to see if all the parts have affected gas mileage or not, but if the engine is running smoother, I don't see why it wouldn't.

Also, you said you were experiencing knock? Thermostat will help that a bit potentially. So you might be able to run that 389 consistently without as much knock.

Talk to the guys you dynod with and see what they have to say. I'd be curious to hear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.