Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Has anybody ever lowered the rear only?

14K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  cmn1 
#1 ·
I doubt any company makes a spring kit only made for the rear but I was wondering if anyone had ever only installed the rear springs from a kit or possibly cut the stock springs (don't really like this idea but wanted to ask). My reason for asking is I'm not sure I want to lower my Jeep at all four corners but I wouldn't mind at least leveling it out (ie dropping just the rear).

I imagine putting only the rear springs of a lowering kit on would probably cause an imbalance in the way the truck handles with the stock springs still up front. Any thoughts on this?

I will probably end up either having to leave it as is or drop it with an Eibach kit (from what I have read seems to be the least drop of an after market spring kit) but thought I would ask about this option first.

Thanks,
Ryan

#2 · (Edited)
I doubt any company makes a spring kit only made for the rear but I was wondering if anyone had ever only installed the rear springs from a kit or possibly cut the stock springs (don't really like this idea but wanted to ask). My reason for asking is I'm not sure I want to lower my Jeep at all four corners but I wouldn't mind at least leveling it out (ie dropping just the rear).

I imagine putting only the rear springs of a lowering kit on would probably cause an imbalance in the way the truck handles with the stock springs still up front. Any thoughts on this?

I will probably end up either having to leave it as is or drop it with an Eibach kit (from what I have read seems to be the least drop of an after market spring kit) but thought I would ask about this option first.

Thanks,
Ryan

The spring rates on the aftermarket springs are different than the factory springs. It would most definitely cause an imballance in handling, or at the very least make it ride like shit. The Jeep may not sit level either, the front would probably be slightly higher than the rear.

#3 ·
Yeah, the spring rate and ride height issue both were concerns with a set of aftermarket springs. Are the factory springs on these Jeeps linear or progressive rate?

#4 ·
I am going to have adjustable lowering springs and shocks for sale as soon as I get my new coil overs. Don't think anybody should be punished to try the fronts.

#5 ·
When I lowered my rig, I put the rears only in for a day or two. It wasn't horrible, was level too. Ride was fine, but I never really pushed it while it was like this either, so....you might be able to get away with it. Of course, my personal opinion after it was all done, it looks better lowered on all four corners.

#6 · (Edited)
Some pics from when I did my install. These pics show the rear end with bwoody 1.7" drop springs and the front still stock. The rear will settle lower with mileage. From my initial measurements after install the rear only dropped 1" to begin with. Over time figure another 3/4" to 1" drop.

Over time this is what the rear end settled to. The front is also lowered with the bwoodys.

#7 ·
Thanks for the pics Mongoose. While I'd like to level it out, I'd obviously still prefer to have the rear higher than the front compared to the reciprocal. I probably wouldn't combine after market springs with stock springs so my options are probably going to be leave it alone or possible cut the rears but I don't really like that either. If the springs are linear rate I might consider it though.

#8 ·
im about to DIE for a resolution to this....i HATE the way the jeep sits right now with its ass all up in the air, but i dont want to lower the front because of where i live it would be impossible to drive

#9 ·
This will be for sale very soon. My bottoming out issues were in the front.

#10 ·
Is that just an aftermarket spring with an adjustable perch or does it go along with what I am assuming is an adjustable shock (what I see part of in your photos)?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.