Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Pulley and cam stock 6.1 with vortech

3K views 24 replies 6 participants last post by  m4xm1l10n 
#1 ·
Any opinions on doing a cam and pulley swap on my stock 6.1 with a vortech blower? What gains should I expect what pulley and what cam?where to get them also any info appreciated.

#2 ·
If you have stock bottom end , A Cam and a 30t pulley would give you closer to 100 HP , thing is how good is your tune now and what exactly are you looking for ? I picked up 41 awhp by just swapping pulley to the 30 . But I had A CAM in there already before the Vortech . As for the head upgrade you can get the v2 ttrim head which is the one I had , but if you are staying with the stock motor the v3 head you have will do just fine imo .

#7 ·
513 humm , nice .

#11 ·
All depends , how much boost you running and Dyno you used . I went from 496 awhp on the 32t standard Vortech pulley @ 6.4 psi , to 537 awhp with the 30t pulley making 8.1 psi using an AWD Mustang Dyno . End up running 10.93@122 , if we go by Dyno numbers I'D say you should be right were I was :)

#17 ·
Point of reference on a bone stock 6.1 and vortech with corsa car back, I swapped to the 30T, and picked up enough knock that once retuned I ended up literally at square one,
I raced my brothers bone stock vortech and corsa and we were literally dead even time and time again. Timing had to go from 13 or so down to 10, erased all gains. Boost in cold temps was cracking 11psi at 6400rpms, 9.5lbs now that it's hot.

I strongly recommend a flow adder mod with any more boost on the vortech, like a cam or headers or both, keep the boost below 10 an you'll see a good gain.

Or do what I did...get some meth. 50/50 mix and I'm at 9.5psi an 14* of timing. Took 3/10s off my 0-60, so I'm guessing 50-75whp added net. If u go this route don't cheap out, I have a failsafe system, lots o warnings built in. I'm looking for a good solenoid to open the bypass if flow failsafe is triggered as well.

Summary: don't just swap the pulley, you'll just end up tuning back to square one.

#18 ·
Odd , I swapped the 32 to 30 , only changed done as 2* of timing removed and I picked up 41 AWHP , jeep was scary fast as well . Also no Knock on my tunes .

#20 ·
Seeing it done on stock CAM as well , For an instance , Vinny was tired of running 12's-and an 11.9 tops ... He now runs the 30T on a stock JEEP with a borls only and went 11.5@115 .

#21 · (Edited)
It's all a point of reference, I believe before the swap I was already at 11.5-11.6 with a pretty aggressive tune, switching to the 30T did nothing as I was already at my max pump gas hp level. 12.0 is pretty weak for a basic vortech, sounds like he got a much more improved tune ALONG with the 30T, most of that gain was from tuning.

#22 ·
It's all a point of reference, I believe before the swap I was already at 11.5-11.6 with a pretty aggressive tune, switching to the 30T did nothing as I was already at my max pump gas hp level. 12.0 is pretty weak for a basic vortech, sounds like he got a much more improved tune ALONG with the 30T, most of that gain was from tuning.
You have to be sure , believing means nothing as I've seeing most here claiming that their JEEP rips till they hit the track and not see what they believed :D

#23 · (Edited)
Think of it this way, maybe im right or wrong but the vortech Si seems to be running out of efficiency all other parts considered (cam, exhaust, intercooler) around 8psi or about 500whp, to go beyond requires some mod to VE, like meth, cam, headers. Two jeeps same setup both make 500whp, one with 8psi and 14* of timing, second with 9.5psi and 10* of timing.

Now let's say a third jeep is running 8psi with 10* of timing (conservative tune), swaps to the 30T and keeps timing the same(now more aggressive tune), he picks up 40whp and says HEY! look how much it helped!!

See my point?

Reactions: m4xm1l10n
#25 · (Edited)
Yes i see your point now :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.