Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Vortech 30T Pulley overkill ?

8K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  MattSRT 
#1 ·
I have a 30t pulley on paper weight duty right now, and am itching to have it installed. I know a few guys are running these, some straight out, some with supporting mods (h20 inject) , and mostly stock block.

question is, I can't find a consensus if this is a smart and fairly safe upgrade for the stock bottom end. Its either this or I am considering a cam, but financially it seems the pulley makes more sense.

Is it all in the tune, or am I running on borrowed time regardless?

#5 ·
Mine is going in next week , I was looking at my boost gauge and with Long tube headers / ported manifold I'm barely making 7psi with the 32T Pulley ... But i did buy a Snow Performance Stage 2 Water Methanol kit and will install it when it arrives . Question is what mods do you have , if you are stock on blower only I'D strongly suggest a meth kit as I'm actually loosing boost with the mods i have and in your case is different .

#6 ·
Im stock minus the Vortech kit and tune. I may opt for an air to air intercooler setup at some point as I can't stand the vortech unit (tearing up hood insulator), but until then there isn't a pressure loss I will be compensating for.

I may just throw a meth kit on for cheap insurance...

#9 ·
That's about where I was with the 30T and smaller jackshaft pulley, around 9.4 IIRC, but at 6000 ft. I'm gonna switch back to that combo.

Aloha Norm!!!

Quick question. As you all know I have a 393 and am running a 17%overdrive pulley with my stock Vortech set-up so I'm getting about 8 pounds of boost.

What pulley should I run?! or can I run?

30T or 28T? Ive already got oversized injectors and an upgraded fuel rail so Im good that way. I am just concerned about overboosting the V3 Vortech.

Any advice?
Aren't you forged now? I'd go for the 28T. Hell, forged you could go 28T and the smaller jackshaft pulley. Talk to your builder about anything else you might need to beef up. But you'll have a rocket.

wink

#8 ·
Aloha Norm!!!

Quick question. As you all know I have a 393 and am running a 17%overdrive pulley with my stock Vortech set-up so I'm getting about 8 pounds of boost.

What pulley should I run?! or can I run?

30T or 28T? Ive already got oversized injectors and an upgraded fuel rail so Im good that way. I am just concerned about overboosting the V3 Vortech.

Any advice?

#10 ·
I am gonna consider the 30tooth... with my mods I am barely hitting 7psi.

I have a 28tooth just sitting in my garage right now.... :worried: But I dont want to use that with the stock bottom end.

I am having a hard time pulling the trigger on installing the 30 tooth. I like to drive hard frequently. I dont want to sacrifice reliability for a few more horses... So I think I will wait for a forged motor before I up the boost.

#11 ·
Probably a wise choice if you're not gonna run meth. People keep telling me I can run more boost. My response? Do it to yours and lets see. ;)

I wonder if there's more flexibility in changing the jackshaft pulley. With the cog you're locked into 2 tooth increments. But the J/S pulley can theoretically be any size. The only combo I haven't tried (with Vortech only parts) is the smaller J/S and 32T. Done all the others though. Here's my past results...

Jackshaft / Blower Cog / RPM / Avg PSI
3.250 / 32 = 44350 / 6.74 (Stock Vortech setup)
3.250 / 28 = 50686 / 8.77 (Best ET setup) (Current setup)
3.125 / 28 = 52714 / 9.69 (Overspinning blower / Dyno setup)
3.125 / 30 = 49199 / 9.04 (Pre-cam setup)

For those that don't know, I'm at 6000 ft, so your result WILL vary.

wink

#12 ·
I'm running the 30 tooth pully for a year now without any issues.

#13 · (Edited)
But u also use methanol injection which raises the octane level in your fuel and greatly lowers your IAT.... Therefore making it safer for you to run more boost on the stock block.

#17 · (Edited)
^ Gotcha. I like the safety included in your system! I had no clue that existed.

But the main point I was trying to make is you DO use meth injection. Its not like you installed the 30tooth pulley on the stock motor and race it every other weekend and drive real aggressively on the street every day without any issues.
I think it is pretty much a necessity to use meth injection if you up the boost from the stock vortech system and want to keep the stock bottom end.

I didnt think changing the oil has anything to do with it.... But like I said, I really dont know all of the details. I just figured there is a down side to spraying alcohol into the intake, since alcohol disintegrates oil... It just doesnt seem like a good thing over a long period of time. But to each their own.
Honestly, I dont think the negatives outweigh the positives with the meth kit. The positives are HUGE like safer motor, higher octane, cooler intake temps.
But I dont like the idea of having to fill up my Meth tank all the time... or before going to the track. Same reason why I am not crazy about N20. I like to go fast every time my foot hits the gas lol.
I havent even tried using a race tune at the track yet. I just roll up and race. Sometimes I will unbolt the back seats, but most of the time I get there and race right away.

#18 ·
SCAM you as you sit now I'D run the 30T with no issue , u probably seeing 6.5-7 psi tops do to your mods .

#27 ·
I am seeing 7psi.
Remember... I have headers and stuff, but I still use the stock catback. I believe this restricts exhaust flow a bit.

Maybe could explain why I am trapping at a low MPH...

#20 ·
But wait Norm , with the 17% over drive + 28T he will be over spinning that V3 unit no ?

#22 ·
Yeah I don't think I'd recommend the 28T, even without the OD pulley. Unless you're forged, even with meth, or run at 6000 ft. And a 125 shot on top of that? Sounds like a fire sale in the making. :eek: You're a braver man than I Norm. I'm running the 28T right now, without meth, but if I switch the jackshaft pulley as I'm planning, I'm going back to the 30T. I was running 10 psi the other way. Guess I'm just skeered. ;)

Oh yeah, aloha everyone. :rolleyes:

wink

#23 ·
So Norm and Maximillian, do you guys recommend I stick with the 30T pulley then so I dont overspin the V3 blower?

What are my options? I dont really want to switch to a V2 trim.

My motor is built so Im not worried about that

#24 ·
I would definitely switch to 30T ... as for 28T i think you would be over spinning that V3 .

#25 ·
Maximillion, what does the stock V3 come with? A 32T?

How much more boost does one get for each tooth the pulley is reduced by?

#26 ·
^The stock v-3 unit comes with a 32 tooth pulley which will make about 8psi on the stock motor.
The 30 tooth will bring it to about 9 psi, and the 28 tooth should make around 10 psi (on the stock motor)

Tony thanks for the info on the Meth injection..... I will be looking further into this.

#30 ·
All this extra work to install and tune a 30T pulley and if I am reading this correctly I will only get maybe 1 more PSI?? Go from 8 to 9??

How much more power to the crank am I going to see with this increase?

Sounds to me like I should just forget doing is.

Can anyone quantify the output?

Thanks

#32 ·
If you want to hang on till I change my pulley I'll have some after Dyno numbers and report back (Boost gains / HP etc)

#35 ·
Did you use the Impact gun Norm ?

#37 ·
Got ya Norm , Thanks .

#38 ·
I'll hang tight til we get some numbers from Maximillian.

The part may only cost $90 BUT the dyno and tune time costs waaaay more. So if it shows we only get a 'little' bump in HP them maybe it wont be worth it.

As it stands on a Mustang 4WD dyno, I am getting 490 RWHP and 476 ft-lbs of torque on 91 pump gas. Did a 'conservative' tune as I wanted more protection rather than all out "walk on the fine line then BOOM" tune LOL

As it stands, on a dry day with TC off, no brake stand, just mash the gas from a dig, I can feel the car spinning all 4 wheels and it drifts oh so slightly to one side :)

#39 ·
By those Dyno numbers tells me you have Way too much left on your tune Silver . With that forged Motor your JEEP should be a 10 second beast easily .. I would run the 28T pulley with out a problem ...

#40 ·
Maximillion, the only problem is... I am running a V3 Vortech :( I think with this particular unit I am at or near max speed at which I can spin the blower. I may need to switch to the V2 trim.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.