Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

What supercharger is good for daily drive

29K views 46 replies 26 participants last post by  eskle 
#1 ·
Which do you guys recommend for DD?
And do we need internal work right away?
Just looking to get bit more power not to crazy LOL

Thanks
Al

#5 ·
I know Vortech is the old dog now, with procharger coming out, and twin screw blowers getting more common, but really nothing has the track record for reliability and longevity like Vortech since it has been around the longest for our jeeps. Mine is driven pretty regularly, and has been for 15k boosted... no problems.

Vortech, Maggy, Procharger, etc will be far more than your "little more power", you'll love any of them.

#11 ·
I know Vortech is the old dog now, with procharger coming out, and twin screw blowers getting more common, but really nothing has the track record for reliability and longevity like Vortech since it has been around the longest for our jeeps. Mine is driven pretty regularly, and has been for 15k boosted... no problems.

Vortech, Maggy, Procharger, etc will be far more than your "little more power", you'll love any of them.

Could'nt have said it better myself.

#9 ·
Honestly, all the superchargers are equally reliable. They are all driven off the belt. Vortech did come out with a kit for our trucks first, but I think Procharger has them beat on the system layout. The piping has minimal bends, and lots of intercooler exposed. Air to air intercooling is the most efficient, and you don't have to deal with a secondary cooling system. The roots style blowers are nice, but are more expensive because they replace the intake manifold.

#20 · (Edited)
Air to water intercooling is significantly more efficient than air to air and you can ask anyone with a FAST car.

Air to air is more popular because of simplicity, appearance and cost. Yes, you can make a lot of power on air but how many people with over 2000whp are running air to air intercoolers? I'd venture to say not many.

All of the manifold type chargers available are air to water and they do ok. The Vortech is air to water. The Procharger is air to air. Realistically with our Jeeps at our power levels it is personal preference. As long as the pipes and couplers stay intact and you don't hit anything the air to air is incredibly reliable. If you're worried about pumps failing or plumbing leaking, air to water is probably not the best approach for you. If your pump fails your intercooler is essentially useless.

Another very good way of cooling your intake charge would be with meth injection or nitrous. I'll probably do meth with my install. Liquid intercooler FTW. hehe.

#21 · (Edited)
Air to water intercooling is significantly more efficient than air to air and you can ask anyone with a FAST car.

Air to air is more popular because of simplicity, appearance and cost. Yes, you can make a lot of power on air but how many people with over 2000whp are running air to air intercoolers? I'd venture to say not many.

All of the manifold type chargers available are air to water and they do ok. The Vortech is air to water. The Procharger is air to air. Realistically with our Jeeps at our power levels it is personal preference. As long as the pipes and couplers stay intact and you don't hit anything the air to air is incredibly reliable. If you're worried about pumps failing or plumbing leaking, air to water is probably not the best approach for you. If your pump fails your intercooler is essentially useless.

Another very good way of cooling your intake charge would be with meth injection or nitrous. I'll probably do meth with my install. Liquid intercooler FTW. hehe.
Exactly my thoughts I dont understand why people think air to air is more effecient. I watch my IAT's constantly with the trinity and my jeep is usually only like 10 degrees over ambient with the blower. And then when im in the boost it with heat up more and very quickly drop right back down to 10 degrees over ambient.

I know maximillion can agree with me on this. And it should be noted it gets hot as hell out here in the high desert. The pump doesnt worry me from if i just turn the key to acc. you can here it come on before start up and with the trintiy you would know for sure if your pump was not working.

BTW the Bugatti Veyron has air to water intercoolers and I think they probably know a little bit about effeciency. LOL

#22 ·
I think Air to water intercooling is better up to 10 psi.. Once you go past 10 psi an air to air intercooler will be more efficent..

Reactions: SRT-MANA
#23 ·
That is completely system dependent. A stock Maggie intercooler and pump may not be very effiicient above 10psi. A larger pump, tank and intercooler would solve that up to the cooling capacity of the heat exchanger on the blower. Once that is out of its efficiency range, you're making more power than I would recommend out of that 2300.

In contrast, Procharger claims that they are using their 1000hp intercooler with their P1 kit. So you could essentially run out of motor before you run out of blower and intercooler.

My cobra ran the stock heat exchanger from the terminator motor with a 76mm turbo. The benefits were 2 fold. Not only is the turbo more efficient to begin with it was paired with an air to water cooler, I could hot lap the crap out of that car and never worry about water temps.

Ice, which is just about free can be used with the air to water kits for near unlimited cooling capacity. The only thing that comes close would be meth or N2O because they are always going to actively cool the charge temps and don't require air to flow over the intercooler.

#24 ·
Any of you know if you can run meth with the magnacharger? I know you can with the Vortech, Procharger, I ran it on my vortech on my 07. But not sure of you can run it through the magnacharger or is there a inlet after the lobes?

#26 ·
Any of you know if you can run meth with the magnacharger? I know you can with the Vortech, Procharger, I ran it on my vortech on my 07. But not sure of you can run it through the magnacharger or is there a inlet after the lobes?
I know on other roots style blowers meth has be known to eat up the teflon coatings on the rotors when injected pre supercharger I had problems with this on my 01 lightning I used to have.

#29 ·
I am definitely interested in this. i plan on supercharging my rig in August. since mine is a DD and i will rarely track it (more stop & go than high speeds), it sounds like i should go with a good air to water system. my biggest question is roots vs. centrifugal. how much more will a roots system cost, which is more reliable and what are the performance differences.

from what i am reading, it sounds like the pro charger air to water may be the best bang for my buck considering my needs?

thanks in advance for all the great feedback guys!

#30 ·
The ProCharger system that's made for these rigs does not have an air to water option, the only way to go about doing that would be going the custom route. Which will take a good bit of playing around and probably more coin than you want to spend, unless you find an old GSM Paxton Novi kit and swap the head to a ProCharger head. Or piece everything together, like a hybrid ProCharger/Vortech kit. It can be done.

You guys have to understand that both air to water and air to air have their ups and downs, both are great concepts and have been proven to be reliable. I personally would go air to water in anything that would be a big hp drag car with a centri blower/big turbo setup, reason being I can freeze the "water box" down after every pass and be ready for the next. On a go fast street car I would go air to air all day long however.

#31 ·
I think I have narrowed it down to a Whipple or a ProCharger. I am leaning towards the ProCharger due to the cost savings.

Any advice from the experts?

#33 ·
Kenne Bell! If not KB......Whipple it !

#36 ·
What supercharger is best for a DD?

Answer: Any one that is properly installed AND tuned with extensive data logging. The current products all seem stout; your install will make or break you.

#37 ·
I've got 80 hrs on mine and going strong. No worries. The issue that hasn't
been brought up is customer support. I can say that Skippy Do at Demon,
is a customer service maniac. You will need that unless you are a self motivated
mechanical genius. I couldn't be happier with the power and JOHAN's tuning
package that comes with.

#38 ·
2 years on my Maggie, I was the first to install the kit and I'm happy with it. Daily drive it all year long some what, I have a company car to drive to work. Stop light to stop light the torque of the magnuson will eat the procharger. The procharger will get you higher hp numbers though and better 1/4 miles times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.