Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Pulled my headliner today....

16K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  6Point1HEMI 
#1 ·
So the one thing that really bothered me about my Jeep is the whole interior is black except the damn pillars and headliner. So I pulled the headliner today and pillars, going to have the guys at work who do the re upholstery do it in black suede. All the plastic pieces, where the seat belts go, and the home link I will paint with plasti dip. Headliner was easy to get out, the f'ing sunroof shade was a major pita. Dont know how to get that back in without damaging the suede. Also doing the tailgate piece

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't wait.

#3 ·
They tend to do the headliners in a light colour so the car doesn't feel like you're sitting in a cave, easier to sell them

#5 ·
The headliner was pretty simple, basically pull off all pillars, sun visors, home link, rear handles with the map lights, Tv, and rear trim is just clipped in. After removing all that your headliner should start to fall, you just have to get your hand up in there to unplug anything that is holding it back. As you start doing it, it becomes pretty much self explanatory as you go along.
Now the sunroof shade was a whole different monster. I need to find a write up on how to remove and re-install that. I dropped the whole sunroof frame and glass trying to get that out. I finally got it out using brute force, but it cant go back in that way without damaging the suede. Going to try and open roof all the way and go in from the top when I re-install if I cant find any directions on it.

#8 ·
One of the items high up on my to do list. Already have the suede.
Was hesitant due to working with that sunroof shade.
Definitely watching this one.

#10 ·
I think I may have figured the sunroof shade out. The bracket that actually holds the shade in has a rivet on each side of it in the back. My thought is if I drill those rivets out that bracket will open up and let me slide the shade in from the rear. Then I will either re-rivet or use some 1/2" self tappers to close it back up. Probably wont be done till next weekend, just my luck our upholstery shop got slammed with work this week. I am going to ask my guy to get that shade done first so I can figure it out before I put headliner back in, dont want to be stuck on stupid for 4-5hrs when headliner is finished. Will take pics if my idea for the shade actually works.

#9 ·
Nice going to look great. Keep us posted.

#11 ·
Well shade is in, I asked my upholstery guy if he could do that piece today, and he did. I highly doubt the way I put back in was the proper way, and hope I didnt screw nothing up with my sunroof. I wont know that till all my pieces are done and I plug the sunroof switch back in. At the end of sunroof track there is a cross brace that attached to each side of the sunroof track. That brace houses the sunroof motor and something else. That cross brace is held on to track by a 10mm bolt and 3 rivets on each side. So I took of the 2 bolts and drilled out all 6 rivets to gain access from the rear. Took my brother and I over a hour to get it in and we were pulling on that brace and twisting it a bit at the same time we were both guiding each side in to the track. Finally got it in and it works just fine, a little tight sliding but that should be expected adding a layer of fabric, it will loosen up in time. Now here is the issue, put the drivers side of brace back on first used the 10mm bolt and a few 1/2" self tappers rite next to where rivets were at. Passenger side wasnt as nice to me, frame just would not sit rite no matter what I did. Figured out the problem was this little chain looking thing that came thru a tube from the sun roof motor was hitting the sunroof track not allowing track to sit flush with brace. Probably happened from twisting that brace and track to get the shade back in. Straighten that out, put 10mm bolt back in along with a few self tappers and it sits fine now. Real test will be when I get my parts back and connect sunroof switch and see if sunroof opens and closes properly. For someone wanting to do this, I would not do the shade the way I did it, there has got to be an easier way

#12 ·
See if i got this right...you can take out the entire headliner and the sunroof assembly including the shade is still in place?

#16 ·
I'm just drooling for pics my man shawn!

#20 ·
Following as this saturday or NEXT saturday??

#25 ·
Little update, not sure if it will be done by Sat. As I said in previous post our upholstery shop got pretty busy, and now they are insanely busy. Headliner is done and trimmed out. He is trying to finish up pillars by Sat. I know visors will not be ready, those require sewing. So will keep my fingers crossed that he finishes by end of day tomorrow.

#26 ·
Curious to see how the pillars turn out too. This is definitely motivating me to get back to work when I get my truck back.

#27 ·
Can't wait to see the finished product.

Roll Out!!

#28 ·
Alright so going to re-install today, minus front pillars, sun visors,home link control, and rear hatch. Those are the pieces he didnt get done. I figure in the front with the 2 sun visor clips that screw back in, and how the sides tuck in between the rubber weather proof strip, it should be okay up front. If I have to make something to screw in where actual visor goes in I will. Really thats the only thing that holds the front in. I have some small metal flat plates that will work if needed. Pics in a few hrs

#29 ·
Sounds tight subscribed...

#30 ·
Alright got as far as I could, and for the most part I'm happy. The only part I'm not happy with is the patch we made for where the tv was didnt hold up as well as I hoped. But I'm contemplating installing an Alpine amp up there. Would fit perfect and I never seen that done. Like I said earlier still missing a few pieces, but should be complete by next week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.