Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Grease fittings on Bwoody end links?

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  LAFNGA5 
#1 ·
For those that have installed these on your Jeep, did you order them with the grease fittings? Is it worth the extra $25 or can I just save that money and get the "regular" fittings and just grease them up good when I install them?

Thanks for any input,
Ryan

#3 ·
I'm not worried about the grease, I have that, just wondering if I get the bushings without the grease fittings if I am going to have to take the damn things off every six months and grease them to keep from having squeaks. Or are guys that have bought the ones without grease fittings finding they can go years without greasing them as long as you lather them up nicely upon install.

Thanks.

#4 ·
I have never greased mine and they have been on for at least 5yrs.

Reactions: CarCrazyRDM
#6 ·
Sounds like maybe I will just save the $25 and get them without the fittings. Thanks guys.

PS A follow up question that I'll do a search for in a minute but can you really see these links from outside the truck? Meaning, does it really matter what color I get them in? Quite honestly I think I'd rather they just be black even if you can see them just so they blend in.

#8 ·
I've had mine with no fittings for about two years now and no problem with them. The grease fitting is unnecessary IMO.
I spray some lithium grease every now and then to prevent squeeking but it's probably not needed either if everything was torqued down properly.

#9 ·
Thanks guys.

#10 ·
I spent the extra $25 for peace of mind. Considering what some routine maintenance costs are, such as transfer case fluid changes, the extra $25 for a permanent install is a drop in the bucket.

#11 ·
I did the grease fittings. Yeah, it may not be necessary, but what is a quick shot of lithium while I am under changing the oil. It takes two seconds, and I will never have squeaks.

By the way, I was told I was the first to request the links with zerk fittings (patting myself on the back).

The guys at Bwoody said they hadn't had the request before. Two days later it was listed as option on their site. I have them on my wrangler and I have always liked being able to shoot some grease in it (keeps things quiet in the ol' rattletrap wrangler).

I think they did mine in a hurry, because the placement of the upper fittings on mine were in crappy locations. I posted a few pics about a year ago when upgraded my GY Runcraps.

#13 ·
mine are not greasable however when i installed them, i coated everything in a good quality water resistant grease in the bore where the bushings go and all over the bushings themselves

grease nipples will have the endlink drilled and tapped for a 3/8 grease fitting to screw into. nothing a guy with a drill and tap couldnt do in an hour if he has the parts especially if youre just painting them

#15 ·
just extra piece of mind, grease them without needing to remove them however i havent had an issue. for my lift kit on my truck where its always moving i grease them weekly but i baby the truck.

just coat everything like crazy in a good grease and assemble

Reactions: nyjoed
#18 ·
How do the bushings come out to drill the link itself?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
pop the middle steel insert out and then pry out the bushings, they just press in from the outside, easy peasy

Reactions: nyjoed
#17 ·
I just installed mine today along with the Eibach Pro Kit. Bought the grease fittings and you just screw them in the pre-tapped holes. Don't know if I'll ever need them , but for $25 bucks, like others have said, peace of mind. I also painted mine prior to installing, and you can't really see them unless you look really close. The only thing I would say is buy new washers for the front links as you use the existing OEM bolts and washers. If I had known that prior to installing, I would have also done the bolts too, as they were pretty rusty.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.