Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Led troubles

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  06GCSRT 
#1 ·
Hey all, bit of a problem I got. I've bought a couple of different LEDs for my lights hi,lo and fogs. I've put them in and they work all sweet but the problem is they still stay dimly lit. The fogs turn off completely but the hi and lo still have a glow. Turn them on and they are bright as.
One pair that I bought I thought they would be the goods as they have the cooling fans and a little box, but nope same thing. Took it to a auto sparky and asked for some load resistors and he wanted to know the ins and outs of why when I told him and showed him the lights he was uncertain as to if the resistors would work And they only had 22w 8 ohm resistors. Now I'm only assuming here but they would be to low of a wattage for the job. Correct??

#2 ·
I had same problem witH interior LEDs. Not sure why though. I switched two different brand of bulbs and it stopped. As for my led fogs they do not do it.

#3 ·
The interior is an easy fix. Pick up one canbus LED bulb and replace one of the LED's currently inside. For the other issue I have no clue.

Reactions: PITTZ
#5 ·
pick up a resistor for each led bulb and you will be fine...the interior trick of using 1 canbus (resistored) bulb will NOT work on the headlights as they are not in a series circuit like the inside lights are. Most times the "box" contains a resistor sufficient enough to discharge the residual current in the circuit but not always, by adding a resistor you will discharge the circuit and "kill" the glow immediately. Be very careful how you mount the resistor though as they get more than hot enough to melt the plastic on the housing, when i have to use them i mount them on aluminum spacers so that the heat transfer is not so much of an issue.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.