Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Cheapest Oil

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  synoil 
#1 ·
I hate to be paying $6.30/quart at Strauss when my dad is getting a complete oil & filter change for $20 (i35). Anyone know a better deal on Mobil1 0w-40? Also the K&N filter runs $15.

#4 ·
I get the Mobil 1 filters at Autozone or Murray's for $10. Walmart has the 5 quart jugs for about $22. 5w-20 only comes in the quarts for $5.50 or so. Full synthetic is not cheap anywhere, and it seems as though it keeps going up with gas prices.

#5 ·
Figure there's a difference between the K&N & Mobil1 filters? Except in price? :)

That's a good call on the 5qt jug, I'll have to see what wal-marts around here have em and stock up.

#7 ·
Yea, me too. It seems like with the filter change I put in closer to 7 quarts and not 6 1/2.

#9 ·
7 quarts would be about right if the engine stays cold for a long enough time for all the oil to drip down (a few hours at least, i'd say). otherwise, in a typical oil-change scenario where the car sits cold for 10 minutes before draining/filling, a good amount of oil doesn't have time to drip off the engine surfaces. if you fill with 7 in this situation, the dipstick will show OK after the change, but if you check your oil the next morning, you'll see that you're over the top safe line. in this situation it's better to fill with 6 quarts, and check & add (if necessary) the next morning - it's easier & faster to add oil than to drain it.

#10 ·
JEEPHEMI said:
I get the Mobil 1 filters at Autozone or Murray's for $10. Walmart has the 5 quart jugs for about $22. 5w-20 only comes in the quarts for $5.50 or so. Full synthetic is not cheap anywhere, and it seems as though it keeps going up with gas prices.

At my WalMart they have 5W-20 in 5qt Jugs, but 0W-40 is only in 1qt bottels. They usually have a case extra in the back room, so I buy a case of 6 plus one loose.

I buy Mopar Filters at a dealer in case lots for ~ $4 each, but both Murray's and WalMart carry them in this area also....

JST2
GCSRT8
Corsa Cat Back
Mopar CAI

#12 ·
#13 ·
Sheri'SRT8 said:
The Mopar oil filters are not that good. I'd go with WIX, Purolator, or the Mobil 1 Filters.

Here's an oil filter study: http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw/oilfilterstudy/oilfilterstudy.html

You might get some information out of it.
A couple of years ago I was talking to Dodge Tweaker from the SRT-4 forums along with some other engineers at an informal SRT-4 get together. I was asking about oil and such. They mentioned Purolator and Wix make the filters for DCX/Mopar. So it is funny to hear they aren't that good. I use the PureOne filters from Purolator myself. Although the store was out the last time I bought oil to change. So I am giving Bosch a try. They look identical to the Purolators.

#16 ·
Guero said:
A couple of years ago I was talking to Dodge Tweaker from the SRT-4 forums along with some other engineers at an informal SRT-4 get together. I was asking about oil and such. They mentioned Purolator and Wix make the filters for DCX/Mopar. So it is funny to hear they aren't that good. I use the PureOne filters from Purolator myself. Although the store was out the last time I bought oil to change. So I am giving Bosch a try. They look identical to the Purolators.
Actually, the WIX and Purolator filters came out okay. I would just never pay the price for a "Mopar" oil filter.

#17 ·
I bought a couple of Mopar filters for $6 each at the Jeep
dealership. For that price I doubt that they are anything
special.

I prefer the synthetic media filters like Mobil 1, Amsoil,
and the like. As far as oil I would use Mobil 1 or equivelent.
Oils I am considering are
Amsoil
Motul
Mobil 1
Red Line

I'm somewhat concerned at the high oil pressures with this
engine. I'm talking about 80 psi when cold. That's alot
of resistance to flow.
Craig

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.