Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Motor Trend gets a 4.6 0-60

6K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  5000XD 
#1 ·
Some better numbers and a comparison to X5 and Cayenne S

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1108_2012_jeep_grand_cherokee_srt8_first_test/index.html

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
BASE PRICE $55,295
PRICE AS TESTED $56,600 (est)
VEHICLE LAYOUT Front engine, AWD, 5-pass, 4-door SUV
ENGINE 6.4L/470-hp/465-lb-ft OHV 16-valve V-8
TRANSMISSION 5-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT (F/R DIST) 5223 lb (55/45%)
WHEELBASE 114.8 in
LENGTH x WIDTH x HEIGHT 191.3 x 77.1 x 69.1 in
0-60 MPH 4.6 sec
QUARTER MILE 13.3 sec @ 103.2 mph
BRAKING, 60-0 MPH 106 ft
LATERAL ACCELERATION 0.88 g (avg) (avg)
MT FIGURE EIGHT 25.8 sec @ 0.71 g (avg)
EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 12/18 mpg
ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY 281/187 kW-hrs/100 miles
CO2 EMISSIONS 1.37 lb/mile

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests...okee_srt8_first_test/index.html#ixzz1UdfAxfBS

See less See more
#3 ·
Because they are comparing likely competitors at a given price point - the X5 35i is about the same price and Cayenne S is still almost 10K more. A bit silly to compare to an X5M or Cayenne Turbo that costs almost twice as much. I'm thinking a WKII SRT and a Corvette (or boat) would be a nicer combo than a Cayenne Turbo ;-)

As good a "bargain" as the original JGC SRT8? Of course not, but still a great vehicle by most measuring sticks outside of *this* forum (full of WKI owners).

#5 · (Edited)
Pretty much what I fig'd, Inside Line test was on the slow side for both since I know what the Cayenne TT can do 1st hand. But I feel MT test is good to show that the WK2 would be a lil slower/same performance wise as the WK1. I know their going by price point but kinda weird to compare it to the xDrive35, one is more performance oriented and the other more of a normal suv. My neighbors xDrive35 get's 25mpg on the highway, incredible considering it has plenty of power and geared so well to that 8 speed auto.

Jeep shot itself in the foot not having the new 8 speed sooner, or even a 6 speed since apparently that 8 speed won't be going to the V8 models but only vehicles (jeep, 300 etc) with the Pentastar 6.

The main thing is it lost what made the wk1 so much fun, sure it's nice having a more refined and nicer driving truck, but the previous Jeep was raw which made it a blast.

#31 ·
Might want to read that press release where Gilles calls the $85k Europeans 'the competition'..... If it's considered competition, it's being cross shopped.

#8 ·
Here are the numbers for comparison: 2012 Data in Parentheses

Motor Trend: 4.8 13.5@101 (4.6 13.3@103)

Car and Driver: 4.5 13.2@104 (4.7 13.4@104)

Road and Track: 4.6 13.2@104 (NA)

Insideline: 4.7 13.4@102 (5.1 13.4@101)

Was not sure where to place this information. There are a few threads about the new numbers run by the 2012 SRT8.

#12 ·
That is the information people like to ignore... The Jeep was designed to be much more refined, offer better handling, but maintain similar straight line acceleration. They did what they set out to do. When running the WK1 vs. WK2 stock for stock it was found that they had similar numbers but the WK2 did pull a bit more up top. Even being equal times/speeds SRT did a great job with the platform they were given. The only thing they dropped the ball on is the price.

#9 ·
Anyone know the weight of the Jeeps being tested? Any fully loaded vs. stripped? I wonder how much the roof adds weight wise?

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#11 ·
This actually shows how bad the WK2 is performance wise .... Eiher way nice lines and interior finishes ...

#24 ·
Guys guys guys

Dont forget that the 2 germans ones are FI engines and the jeep is just NA engine

The jeep need to be throw in it with a TT or a SC and then they can compare

The SRT line cars are the last sport car division to use only NA engines in their cars

#25 ·
Guys guys guys

Dont forget that the 2 germans ones are FI engines and the jeep is just NA engine

The jeep need to be throw in it with a TT or a SC and then they can compare

The SRT line cars are the last sport car division to use only NA engines in their cars
Although this would make the jeep more appealing to most of us wk1 guys, it would also drive the price right up parallel with the x5M and at that point most people are going to pick bmw/porsche over chrysler IMO... For some people that are better off, sure they will pick the wk2 because they just want it. But the way customers are treated at those companies is not even comparable to chrylser.. Thats why i decided to take my jeep off warranty and not go back anymore :D:D

#29 ·
It's not unfair, they've been the competitors for a while. And if they don't compare to the X5M and Porsche Cayenne T, then they'd have what to compare it with? The standard X5?

Now I don't even understand what they were doing on that picture that came out long ago where you can see an X5M and the new Jeep SRT8 parked in a desert. Probably getting the Jeep spanked in every way and saying "ah screw it, let's just make it a family car".

#30 ·
It's not unfair, they've been the competitors for a while. And if they don't compare to the X5M and Porsche Cayenne T, then they'd have what to compare it with? The standard X5?

Now I don't even understand what they were doing on that picture that came out long ago where you can see an X5M and the new Jeep SRT8 parked in a desert. Probably getting the Jeep spanked in every way and saying "ah screw it, let's just make it a family car".
Agreed!!!

and LMAO at the second comment.... :lol:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.