Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Plan B: Replacing wife's car now and waiting for the 2014 SRT8

7K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  MichiganSRT8 
#1 ·
So... I've officially decided to skip the 2012 Grand Cherokee SRT8 and replace my wife's car instead. My plan is to wait for the update to the Grand Cherokee SRT8 around 2014 and hope that they include the things that should have been there this year - 8.4" head unit, 8 speed (or more) transmission, more power, color center screen, LED rear taillights, etc. It's not likely, but perhaps by that time if I wait to late in the model year they'll have cash back incentives too (since the 2nd generation WK2 will have been out for a few years at that point).

I ended up ordering what I think is the best bang for the buck on wheels for the wife, a 2012 Dodge Journey R/T. All-wheel-drive, 8.4" navigation head unit, good towing capability, color center screen, rear LED taillights, moonroof, heated mirrors & seats, dual zone climate control, 6-speed transmission, backup camera / sensors, 24 MPG... all in a functional / sporty looking package for only $30,265. The best part is that SHE'LL have a hauler, so if the Grand Cherokee SRT8 doesn't work out, perhaps I could look at a less "functional" car (like a Challenger SRT8 for example).

Here's what I ordered for the wife:
- 2012 Dodge Journey R/T with AWD
- 283 horsepower V6 with 6-speed transmission
- Brilliant black crystal pearl coat exterior, black leather with red accent stitching interior
- Power express open / close sunroof
- Navigation and sound group 1 (with 8.4N head unit)
- Trailer tow prep group

MSRP is $34,580; thanks to my dad's employee discount and minimum of $1,000 cash back my price is $30,265 (+ tax, title, license, etc.)

It should look like this when it arrives:

See less See more
#2 ·
looking good!!! Saturday I too made a purchase for the wife. Picked up a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. Paid 40,000. MSRP was 45k. Great deal. I have a lil buyer remorse though.

Again...great looking ride! Congrads!!!!

#6 ·
Journeys are a wicked family vehicle ! we rented an RT while on vaction this summer, and I was actually impressed !

We fit 7 people comfortably and the Nav system is to die for !!

#7 ·
I couldn't agree more :D

It's simply ridiculous that you can get the 8.4" nav system on a Dodge Journey but not on a Jeep Grand Cherokee... for thousands of dollars LESS. It's a screamin' deal! When we test drove a Journey R/T this summer, we kept saying to ourselves "THIS IS A DODGE???"

#9 ·
I can't seem to google an article right now, and somewhere the answer I am sure I have read on the forums, but the problem I recall with the WK2 is timing. It's redesign time in relevance to the faltering and ultimately bankrupt Chrysler corp prevented it being redesigned with the new electrical bus that is required for all the tech that is in the Journey.

But I am of similar opinion as the OP. I will be hoping in 2016 (if the WK2 SRT8 is still my fancy) that I can buy a used 2014 that finally as the new electrical bus and all the tech toys it allows.

I am also waiting for the the new electrical bus to appear in the Grand Caravans. It seems a small thing but if I am going to drop big money on wheels, I want this newer tech and I am willing to wait for it.

#10 ·
Do the 2012 R/Ts come with leather this year? The 2011s were red/black cloth only for some stupid reason.

The Journey's a great vehicle, we looked at them for the wifey, but she ended up liking the Outlander a little more, and we got a better deal on one of those. Plus we didn't need the 3rd row.

#11 ·
Yup. They now come in only black leather with red accent stitching. I actually would have preferred cloth, as it is warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, and holds up better appearance wise over several years. We didn't need the 3rd row either, so we skipped the 3rd row option.

#12 · (Edited)
They just added the 2012 Dodge Journey R/T "build my own" information to the Dodge website; here's a screen cap of what the one I ordered will look like:

I'm really excited to see the black leather interior with red accent stitching against that backlit red-glow dash and 8.4" touchscreen!

#16 ·
Great idea for now... but I'm sincerely thinking that the 12's are going to take a HUGE depreciation hit when the 2014's possibly come out with more power, better transmission, better touchscreen, better MPG's, etc... these cars are SO much money; I couldn't stomach that much money going "poof" into the air. I've got a fast summer car now (Solstice GXP with factory turbo upgrade); I can wait.

#15 ·
Big fan of the wheels....

#17 · (Edited)
I just noticed on the Dodge website that they've upped the local cash back another $750... which now means I could be paying as low as $29,515 for this thing! That's a HECK of a deal considering it has AWD, 6 speed transmission, 8.4" Garmin navigation touchscreen, Infinity speakers + subwoofer, rear LED tail lamps, 19" satin carbon wheels, keyless entry / start, dual climate control, moonroof, 3500 pounds towing, etc., etc., etc. WOW! I couldn't find a better "plan B" deal / car to hold me over a couple years!

#20 ·
Pantheman, this is funny. I remember you were waiting for the 2012 to come out and now you're waiting again for the 2014. How many years have you been waiting in total? I do this all the time.. wait until this or that happens.

My girlfriend has been waiting 20 years for me to pop the question...

I keep justifying reasons to wait... :D

#21 ·
Yeah... I don't think that ANYBODY was expecting a price jump that large... hence the need to have more time to save up (while waiting for Jeep to "finish" the next generation model). I can wait; I'm happy with the wheels I'm rocking now :)

#22 ·
I just got my order confirmation from Chrysler; here's what it says:

Subject: Your new vehicle order is being processed

To: *************
Date: November 10, 2011 7:30:11 AM

Dear Customer,

Congratulations on your new Dodge purchase! We received your order and thank you for choosing the Dodge brand. This is the first of three email updates designed to keep you informed as your vehicle moves through production.

We are currently in the process of building and delivering the parts required to assemble your vehicle in the plant. We will contact you next when production is scheduled for your new Dodge. At that point, you will receive a tracking number that allows you to identify and monitor your vehicle as it moves through the various stages of production:

Confirmation -> Production -> Frame -> Paint -> Trim -> Final inspection -> Shipment -> Delivery

We will contact you with a final email when your vehicle is in shipment. Please be patient as we work to provide you with a new Dodge built to your specifications. We sincerely appreciate your business.

Thank you,
The Dodge Brand Team

P.S. Are you proud of your new Dodge purchase? Don't be shy, join others who feel the same way. Logon and follow Dodge on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and Red Letter Dodge.

*This is a system generated email. Please do not reply.

#28 ·
Right now the WK1s are falling off a little. The WK2 market will continue to sell modles at a steady pace (there is no shortage of WK2s) but as soon as all the dealer-demo's, and the dealership owners/demos models start to get replaced with the 2013s and 2014s you'll see an influx for the WK2.

I'll be buying in 2014 as well, but I'll be picking up a 2012. I'm estimating that a nicely equipped pano-roof and LUX group model that originally went for over $60K is going to be had for low 40's after 24 months.

#29 ·
Good call on waiting for the 2014 SRT Jeep!!
New Front Fascia
New 8spd Trans
New Interior
New Steering Wheel
New Tow Capacity
New Navigation with 3D Maps
New Dual Rear DVD Blu Ray Players
New Front Parking Sensors
New Launch Control Mode
Need I say More.....

Small increase in price over previous model, but way better equipment and acceleration over 2012 and 2013's.

I am waiting till June to order mine, because the Rear DVD will be avail as an option then.

#32 ·
bahaha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.