Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

calling all WK2 supercharger opinions....

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  dirtrcr 
#1 ·
Hi guys, now that I've found a tire that performs well and does not tramline or kill my spine like the crummy P-Zeros, I've decided to keep my 2013 and would very much like to install a supercharger....
I am not into going to the track or racing anyone, just all about having fun driving it around town.
Can anyone recommend a good brand that:
(a) comes with everything needed (injectors, plugs, tuners, etc--EVERYTHING)
(b) does not require going to have any extra tuning or dyno work done by a mechanic
(c) does not require any major cutting of the vehicle
and
(d) can be converted back to completely stock?

I would very much like to install it myself, and again, I am not a racer, so even a "mellow" kit that would be easier on the engine/tranny would be fine with me.
any advice and tips would be appreciated!

#4 ·
I'm in the market for the exact same thing!
I don't race, I don't go to the track, I don't even know why I want a SC!! (Yeah I do know why)
I've called RIPP and Whipple, and I'm slightly leaning toward this NEW Whipple 2.9L that has not yet been released.
Downside with Whipple, I quess is it may never get released as everyone on here says that all you'll ever hear from them is that they're 2 months away, 2 months away, 2 months away. I'll wait a little longer for it, then will go with RIPP if it never materializes.

#5 ·
I'm in the market for the exact same thing!
I don't race, I don't go to the track, I don't even know why I want a SC!! (Yeah I do know why)
I've called RIPP and Whipple, and I'm slightly leaning toward this NEW Whipple 2.9L that has not yet been released.
Downside with Whipple, I quess is it may never get released as everyone on here says that all you'll ever hear from them is that they're 2 months away, 2 months away, 2 months away. I'll wait a little longer for it, then will go with RIPP if it never materializes.
This is what you need: http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85089

#8 ·
You read my mind we should get a few people together on a group buy and save some dough!

Does anyone know if it's reasonable to assume that someone that has never done a supercharger kit could do it themselves with reasonable mechanical skills or does it really need to be done by a pro? Does Demon provide step by step instructions for a DIY install?

#9 ·
Our kit isn't super difficult at all, there are a couple steps that we recommend having done by to professionals however. AC line does get removed and replaced with our own line so you will need an evac and charge of the system. The kit will come with a full step by step installation guide and Nate and I are always here for you if you guys need any installation help along the way! We know this system very well as we put 100s of hours into the development of it to perfect it for the masses!

#11 ·
'12 and '13s have the Nag1 trans in them, they are rated at 525tq so you'd be on it's threshold with one of our kits at the advertised boost leve. It's the heat that will kill them, if you hot lap it everywhere you go then the stock gearbox will only last so long. If you drive like a normal person and have fun with it every now and then I can see it lasting a long time but it's still flipping a coin. Lots of weight to be moving too! The '14MY Jeep SRTs have the ZF8HP70 which has a factory rating of 700ftlbs from the manufacturer. Those guys have it made from the start.

There are many things you can do to prolong the life of your stock box but sooner or later most Nag1 owners with boost upgrade to a built unit from either Paramount or SHR. It's all just a part of this game! Costs can vary depending on how far you go with upgrading the Nag1s, can be as cheap as 450 bucks and fluids/labor all the way up to 7k all in with a built trans, custom converter, flexplate and nice hardware, trans cooler, vb, custom tcm etc etc. All depends on your needs!

#14 ·
'12 and '13s have the Nag1 trans in them, they are rated at 525tq so you'd be on it's threshold with one of our kits at the advertised boost leve. It's the heat that will kill them, if you hot lap it everywhere you go then the stock gearbox will only last so long. If you drive like a normal person and have fun with it every now and then I can see it lasting a long time but it's still flipping a coin. Lots of weight to be moving too! The '14MY Jeep SRTs have the ZF8HP70 which has a factory rating of 700ftlbs from the manufacturer. Those guys have it made from the start.
I think the "70" part in ZF8HP70 stands for 700Nm not ft*lb I think 700nm is ~516ft*lb. correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt they would put such an over rated transmission into a 470ft*lb vehicle. That is why the Hell cat and the high powered Audis, BMW... get the 90 version

#12 · (Edited)
I don't think people realize how much effort went into the setting up the Demon kit. It was a lot more than, let's see if we can get a supercharger to fit and throw it on a dyno once to see what it can do. They had to do some research to see what was working and what failed. Also, why things failed. I'm disabled so whatever I drive has to be reliable and they want it to be reliable for me and you. I knew that I would be wanting more so we did some extra's. This kit has been tested on the dyno, taken to the track, and road tested many times so they know what they have. When they broke my engine down after all that (since I was wanting even more power) the piston and cylinders were still perfect. Yup, I'm going a little overboard with my stuff, but I have nothing better to do. :armed:

Reactions: DemonPerformance
#16 ·
I think most things (especially in drivetrain) would have like a 15-20% factor of safety (FOS) so theoretically the 70 version could stand 570-590ft*lb but probably that's it. Interesting to see what the actual threshold is...

Seems like a few higher horsepower WK2 Jeeps are coming out and I am very interested to see how they hold up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.