Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

2014 'new' still on lot pricing and mileage

7K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  dqw1 
#1 ·
I've been looking the Grand Cherokee SRT's recently, and I've come across a few 2014s still left on dealer lots around me. They appear to have just about every option on them and MSRP is listed around $75k. The dealers are offering them at around $65k. But here's the thing, their mileage is pretty high, between 700-3500. I don't expect them to come with zero miles, but 3500 on a car like this that's been sitting on the lot? My guess is that those aren't 'break-in' style miles, and that folks test driving for that many, have been stomping on the entire time. Do you think my concerns are misplaced? And given the mileage, particularly the 3500, would you still consider them to be new? Looking at the changes for 2015, they look pretty minor... Tweaks to the HP and torque... Nothing that I see to be worth passing up discounts on 2014 models, or am I missing something?

#2 ·
I also considered a couple of left over 14's, one with 30 miles and one with 210 miles - however, I was able to buy under invoice and order a new 15 the way I wanted it for just a few dollars more and it has been built and being shipped as I write this - while not much changes, it is a year newer when comes time for resale. I would not buy a "new" 3500 mile 14 on the lot - demo with many hard test miles to say the least! Good luck on your decision!

Ron

#4 · (Edited)
it was probably a dealer demo. One of their executives or managers was probably driving it. The service manager at my local dealership drives a 14 gc srt8. He oversees the service department at 4 dealerships.

Reactions: rbelmont
#5 ·
Thanks all... yeah, 3200 seems like a stretch. Even if it was just the service manager or whatever, and he treated it "gently", I guess I'd need to get a better price to make that work. I think it's more likley that someone has been driving it hard. I'll ask about if the warranty has started. What about asking for a free extended warranty?

#6 ·
Getting a Chrysler 100k warranty might not be a bad thing to negotiate into the price. I would try to get the best price possible first and then tell them you want a Chrysler 100k warranty on top of it. It's something that they might go for to get the '14 off the lot.

Reactions: rbelmont
#7 ·
I was wrong... it's 6000 miles, not 3000. My 2005 Touareg was a demo, it had 700 miles tops on it when I bought it. I was okay with a 25% discount off of the list price. But the SRT at $65k with 6000 miles on it feels used, not demo. It was in very good shape, but a couple of smudges, and the tan interior (with that tan was less orange).

#8 ·
Any ideas on what this thing would be worth "new" with 6000 miles? KBB says $52k - $60k used. Dealer says it's loaded, and $75k MSRP, and that they'll offer it at $65k. Based on my reads of this site, most folks seem to have paid around $65k for their new current model year (not my "new", last year with 6000 miles ;).

#9 · (Edited)
I was in your position. Bought A '14 in late December. The dealership owner drove it and it had 6k miles, listed for 73k (Audio, Pano, Blk Chrome wheels, Laguna Leather). Worked them down over the phone before I knew the mileage. When I found out it had 6k I told them it's basically a used car and I'd do $1 off per mile. Ended up at 60k + TTL.

When talking to 6-7 other dealerships I was able to get them down to 65-66k consistently depending on the options on a 2015. If your dealer won't budge at 65k then I'd recommend exploring your options on a '15 at other places.

I picked up the MOPAR 100k/7yr Max Care plan for $1865 through Clay at Zeller Motors. Clay is well known on the other Jeep forums for giving the best prices on the Mopar extended plans. He is very responsive and has great customer service. Id highly recommend going through him if you do an extended warranty separately. It's great because, if needed, you can sell the warranty back to Chrysler or transfer it to a new owner.

#10 ·
Crossss - thanks for you response! Exactly what I was looking for... $60k + TTL for a $73 list price, and 6000 miles. It sounds like you got a great deal.

I'm not familiar with Clay at Zeller Motors - is the warranty good at all Jeep dealers, even the ones outside Kansas?

#12 · (Edited)
rbelmont- yes, the warranty is good at any Chrysler dealership nationwide. It's the official Mopar warranty and not an aftermarket one (Max Care 5,000 parts covered, $100 deduct). The day after I sent Clay payment the extended warranty info it popped up in my Mopar owner website profile. Google Clay and Zeller Motors. His name will pop up in the forums.

I made a spreadsheet of all the dealership with '14/15 SRT's in a 300mi radius, I'm in SoCal. Next I narrowed it down to Pano and HK audio as must have and everything else as "can go either way on". I didn't really care about the Sepia leather but it worked out well with the White exterior. Then I just visited the local dealerships and called the further ones. I was confident in what the market value was based on my research. I could've gone to AZ and probably saved 1-2k more but it wasn't worth the time/energy for me.

If you're patient and keep your options open then you'll find the right deal. I've wanted an SRT since '08, the problem was that Jeep kept doing major refreshes with options that I thought would be worth waiting for. The 8 speed transmission upgrade is what finally sealed the deal for me.

#15 ·
I did a lot of research when buying mine and found a ton that were registered as a dealer car and sold after like 6-12 months or longer, so I think a lot of dealers rolled these for a while before they let them go. I don't blame them, honestly, but Chrysler needs to find a way to keep this in check as I think it is just out of control.

#18 ·
May not be registered new... But when a buyer runs a car fax report on the truck... It will show the millage as sold with a few thousand k's on it. You will automatically know it wasn't sold new

#20 ·
best price ive seen on knew fairly loaded except for leather was $63,900 but they gave nothing for my trade. I'm looking at a '14 whiet with sepia with 26k miles for $54k but I think dealer should have some room on that or am I wrong? Would an exhaust and intake be a deal breaker? Especially if one wants to add lifetime max care?

#21 ·
Autonation Jeep in North Houston had a new 2015 black/black with HK audio and pano roof that they were willing to sell for $65,500 in June. It had only a few miles on it.

In my research, it seemed that Sepia leather cars and Red Vapor cars were less likely to be discounted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I was able to get my 73K MSRP 2015 at 66K plus an extra 2500 on my trade in. 60k for a 14 with 6k miles sounds like a deal for the dealership to me! If it was a program car for the dealership, those 6k miles were rough... If it were me, I would offer mid-to-high 50s... Or just skip it and take a 15' for a few K more and no miles

#23 ·
So I found a Jeep with the exact color and interior I want (Sepia) with good miles 14000 and perfect price BUT on the carfax it says the car was bought back by Chrysler due to a stalling issue. What would cause this issue and how would have Jeep fixed that? Or should I just forget it and look for something else. I am wanting to add lifetime maxcare so if its covered with that should it be all good? I wish I could drive it but the car is 800miles away from me.

#26 · (Edited)
I paid $64k for a leftover 2014, pretty much every option, with 300 miles. 2 months ago. Sticker was $73k
I drove a used 14 for a week (10k miles, demo for 4k miles) but they wanted $61k....There was NO way I was interested in that after I called and found this brand new one for $3000 more.
The 314 miles bothered me a little. But this was really TOP BUDGET for this poor boy. I've never purchased this level of performance vehicle before, but once I realized how I was treating it, I knew I had to buy brand new.
I have 7yr/100k warranty so who cares who did what in 300 miles. I personally followed manual break in procedure for the rest of breaking in period tho

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.