Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Headers vs Exhaust?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  708JEEPSRT8 
#1 ·
I understand that many people complained about losing some power by getting rid of the stock exhaust setup due to the loss of back pressure. So wouldn't one expect to lose power with headers too. I would assume that headers also decrease backpressure, therefore decreasing power, in theory.

So I guess my question is, what's best for power?
Stock everything
Stock exhaust + headers
Stock piping, 12599 welded in + headers
Full exhaust + headers?

If back pressure is a factor then why does exhaust hurt and headers help? Thx guys....

#2 ·
With headers, you still have your backpressure because your muffler and resos are still there. I think alot of guys are still questioning the backpressure and the exhaust etc. But unless you have increased engine HP a good amount, i wouldnt expect to see much gains. i KNOW i run slower with my cutouts open at WOT thatn i do with them closed and basically stock exhaust. But i dont have many engine mods either.
i think you will get more HP gains with headers and exhaust if you are Forced induction. more air in, more air out.

#5 ·
Thats why i went with cutouts. Until im rich and can afford the forced induction and all tha good stuff, i get the sound when i want it, and then the power when i want it as well. Everyones rigs are slightly different, but there is either no gain in power or a loss of power with exhaust from what i have read. And i believe with headers as kuckles showed, there is no loss.

#6 ·
I cant speak about headers because I dont have them but I was also concerned about losing power with an aftermarket exhaust. However after finally going through with it I can say that I did not lose any power at all after installing my mopar/corsa exhaust. I would say low end is the same and mid to high range power is a tiny bit better. I couldnt imagine power loss with headers either.

07 Silver..... Mopar Cai / Mopar-Corsa Exhaust / Toona / Black Shorty Antenna

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.