Cherokee SRT8 Forum banner

Cold air blowing driver side with heater

18K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  PITTZ 
#1 ·
The jeep just started blowing clod air on the driver side when it's now 5 degrees out, perfect timing.

I found a thread that possibly identified the problem, but I pulled the glovebox and it doesn't appear to be the problem on mine.

http://www.cherokeesrt8.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-64973.html

My gear appears to be the new type that is solid for the blend in the front top corner of the passenger section. But it didn't move when I turned the knobs, it looks to be in the middle position.

It has to be something with one of the blend doors, and I saw more than a few under the dash. I moved the knobs in every position and saw each axle moving. Is there one under the driver dash that I don't know about?

There isn't any air coming out the rear vents and driver side is always cold no matter what. Passenger is hot as a furnace. I'm freezing in this thing and as it is now, can't wait to get out of it when I'm driving. :rolleyes:

#2 ·
Sounds like your vent gear went out. Search for a/c gear and there's a how to on fixing it.

#3 ·
That's the thread I found. Mine is the new solid gear. The actuator looks like its for outside vent? But if I move it either direction by hand it doesn't change the driver side temperature. I figured it might be the motor since its just hanging in the middle position no matter what setting the knobs are at. But since it doesn't affect air temperature I don't think that's the real issue.

There is air coming out the rear vents. I never paid attention to them in the past but they seem like a mix of the cold driver and hot passenger. Just lukewarm.

#4 ·
So the DIY I posted about has nothing to do with your issues. All that does is fix the recirculation for the air. Your issue is a blend door. I had this same issue in my second Jeep. There is a blend door behind the radio, and that most likely is your issue. When you set your temp to hot, the blend door moves to the hot setting, when you change it to cold, it changed it to the cold setting. Your blend door is probably stuck on the cold setting. The crappy part about it is, in order to get to this blend door, the entire dash has to come out. If you don't know how to do it yourself, the dealer charges you over $1500. I know, it sucks. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this is the issue I had with mine, exactly the same. Thank God that idiot dealer bought that Jeep back (long story).

#5 ·
Yes that's what I was thinking. I can see what I believe all are the axles for the various blend doors behind the radio. I know I counted at least 3. They all moved. When you say take out the entire dash, does that mean off from the firewall or just remove the front bezels and controls?

#6 ·
When the dealer quoted me, they said the ENTIRE dash. I do believe that blend door is tucked back in there pretty good, so I think even if you were to attempt it yourself, you would end up taking the whole dash out.

#8 ·
On my 2004 Grand Cherokee there's a fix for this by removing the glove box and cutting in the side of the "air handler" or what ever you call it where the blend doors are.

Even the dealer offers that fix now. Not sure what our newer ones look like behind there and if it was even possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.